[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IBM is laying off U.S. workers and replacing them with Indians again
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: _CZY2puL.jpg (24 KB, 332x332) Image search: [Google]
_CZY2puL.jpg
24 KB, 332x332
http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/tech-careers/is-this-months-ibm-layoff-for-rebalancing-or-is-it-really-for-offshoring#.VuHU1fevtY4.hackernews

As usual, they're making the American employees train their replacements.
>>
Good

US workers are entitled pieces of shit
>>
>>53420080
Pajeet pls
>>
>>53420056
Good. More bugs to exploit.
>>
>>53420096
thanks for this lol :')
>>
ITT: US workers still in denial that they have to compete with the rest of the world, including competing on price
>>
Good maybe we should be more tolerant and remove all borders completely. I hope Bernie will finally get rid of white males for good.
>>
>>53420056
>>>/pol/
>>>/biz/

not technology discussion
>>
>>53420136
>no, you may not telecommute from Nebraska, you must live in SF or NY, where rent is $4,500/no
>you're to expensive, we're replacing you with an Indian

American corporation logic
>>
>>53420203
>Company wants something
>American: "No, I won't do that, it's unreasonable"
>Indian: "Sure, okay"
and you're shocked when they hire the Indian
>>
Either this scheme will backfire for IBM or they aren't really that skilled if a couple days of training an Indian can end up making you replaceable

I don't know why they don't just start training people remotely in turd world countries directly to work for them for next to noting if its this easy to replace high-waged western workers
>>
>>53420279
Most CS majors aren't more than code monkeys
>>
File: Average_American.jpg (62 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Average_American.jpg
62 KB, 350x350
>>53420056
Americans are garbage.

Notice how they don't get hired anywhere in the world.
>>
>>53420176
go back to your phone thread
>>
>>53420056
HIRE ME IBM FUCKS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>53420330
this
Only the ones from top institutions are actually more than code monkeys typically
With the abstraction of 2016 and the bloated CS workforce it's pretty simple to swap out low level employees
>>
>>53420056
>As usual, they're making the American employees train their replacements.

Why do cucks train their replacements instead of just ragequitting?
>>
Working for IBM in Atlanta on their SIEM, our India team is so bad our Indian customers will stay up all night to call our office in Atlanta or Belfast rather than dealing with the AP office.
>>
File: IBM CEO Ginni Rometty.jpg (42 KB, 628x581) Image search: [Google]
IBM CEO Ginni Rometty.jpg
42 KB, 628x581
>woman in charge of IBM
>replace white males with poo-in-loos
>repeat until all white males are eliminated
>>
>one third of the US workforce is being "re balanced'
Holy shit
>>
What exactly is happening to IBM? Are they majorly restructuring the company's core focus and are downsizing as a result?
>>53422142
that's hilarious
>>
>>53422114
If you refuse to train your replacement they usually pull all your benefits, and fire you with no severance package. Its an absolutely disgusting lowblow concocted by man hating HR departments.

>>53422271
IBM has been perpetually downsizing for years. They're a dwindling company.
>>
>>53422114
>we can give you a generous severance package, but only if you stay and train your replacement Rahameed
>if you leave, you will not get the severance package
>>
Has IBM done anything relevant in the last 20 years?
All they've done is sell away their interests and fire everyone since the early 90s.

IBM isn't even a household name anymore.
>>
>>53420056
We need to dispel the fiction that IBM is an American company...
>>
>>53422338
>They're a dwindling company.
But aren't they dumping money into research or doing something that ensures their survival? I know they're not a hardware giant anymore but what really keeps their cash flowing at this point? Is it just IP and specialized enterprise services?
>>
File: 9pJcLK0.png (504 KB, 721x657) Image search: [Google]
9pJcLK0.png
504 KB, 721x657
thanks, ginny
>>
>>53422414
Someone in the last thread summed it up succinctly, they're a well managed sinking ship, they're basically milking the company for everything it's worth and when IBM dies, nobody will feel the burn because all their assets were sold off decades ago.
>>
>Get a CS degree they said
>There will be plenty of jobs they said

top. kek. Meanwhile I studied English and work in publishing. My job can never be outsourced because Indians SUCK at English.
>>
>>53420056
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM
>>
>>53422376
>IBM isn't even a household name anymore.
they left intentionally seeing the influx in cheap hardware and competition
>Has IBM done anything relevant in the last 20 years?
They have plenty of meme research like muh neuron emulation processor and muh get around thermal limitation
Seems like investor bait mostly
>>
>>53422414
research is just a small part of their company. the majority of their employees are working on enterprise software, which can be done by pajeet and raheed.
>>
File: 1457335317006.jpg (135 KB, 713x900) Image search: [Google]
1457335317006.jpg
135 KB, 713x900
>Study CS, they said
>>
>>53420231
>Company wants something
>American: "No, I won't do that, it's unreasonable"
>Has expertise and good reasons why not
>Indian: "Sure, okay"
>doesnt know what the fuck he is doing, or why he shouldn't
>>
>>53422489
>IBM gets a little competition from china
>sells all their PC hardware interests to china
dumbasses

Their entire business model is investor bait now.
The worst part is it's more profitable than everything else they've ever made.
>>
>>53422492
>the majority of their employees are working on enterprise software,
Ahh, that explains the "restructuring" of the labor force. How long do you think they will be able to stay relevant in enterprise software at this point? Are they even dominating in any markets?
>>
>>53422547
Traditional enterprise software industry is getting raped by start-ups offering hosted services.

Corporations suddenly don't care about owning their own data. They've been fucked by integration cost so much, they're willing to give up complete control over data if they can skip the integration part.
>>
>>53420056

LMFAO when is an American in this situation going to get pissed off, install some custom malware on his employer's computers, head to a non-extradition country, then rain hell down upon them?

I would never put up with this shit. I would blackmail the bastards for 10x the money they saved. I would fucking own them.

>inb4 someone would notice

Yeah, if I have to train Pajeet, Pajeet ain't gonna find the code I plant.
>>
>>53422338
>If you refuse to train your replacement they usually pull all your benefits, and fire you with no severance package. Its an absolutely disgusting lowblow concocted by man hating HR departments.

It's also blatantly illegal and grounds for a million dollar lawsuit. Don't act like a cuck. Hit back twice as hard.
>>
TRUMP
R
U
M
P
>>
File: O0tTk00.jpg (262 KB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
O0tTk00.jpg
262 KB, 3840x1080
>>53422376
>look at pic
>where did it all go wrong?

>>53422429
>oh right...womyn

Fucking cunt. Tie her and Carly together to a rock and drop them in the ocean.
>>
File: 1457057570922.jpg (168 KB, 876x768) Image search: [Google]
1457057570922.jpg
168 KB, 876x768
The only solution is to vote for Trump.
>>
>>53422579
>Traditional enterprise software industry is getting raped by start-ups offering hosted services.
Yeah, I've noticed. So really this means that they are losing a lot of their small-medium customers to cheaper platforms that continue to pop up?
I really don't see a future for them unless I am missing some major strategy the company has. I know they're sitting on a bunch of IP but what other cards can they play to survive?
>>
>>53422623
>It's also blatantly illegal and grounds for a million dollar lawsuit.

Bullshit, under what law?
>>
>>53422623
Try going up against $250B multinational with an wrongful termination lawsuit.

Pro tip: you will go bankrupt from legal fees before your case even goes to trial.
>>
>>53422651
>>>/pol/
>>
>>53422631
>>53422651
>implying that he won't expand the program like he has already expanded your anus
>>
>>53422654
>>53422656
http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/25/technology/disney-h1b-workers/

Personally I'm impatient and prefer guarantees. So I would: >>53422595
>>
>>53422652
>what other cards can they play to survive?

They're now developing their own scaled-down, hosted services.

They know they're slow and quality is probably shit, but it comes with IBM name, indemnification, and IBM is paying Pajeet pennies compared to start-ups paying $100K+ for developers to live and work in SF.
>>
>>53422651
WE ALL AMERICANS
>>
Maybe if US corporate tax rates weren't so retardedly high US companies would stop leaving America

They are all moving to less taxed countries after all.
>>
>>53422732
But they don't pay those taxes either.
American corporations are literally leaches on the economy, sucking up profits, paying almost nothing back to the countries that have allowed them to be so successful, and paying their employees next to nothing, contributing to the same problem.
>>
>>53422732
Why not go to Switzerland then?

Why are they moving to India instead?

It just had to do with the average labor cost.

It has nothing to do with corporate taxes since they already park all their profit in Luxembourg (by assigning all IP to their Luxembourgian subsidiary and making the American HQ pay ridiculous amount of money in IP licensing fees to the the subsidiary in Luxembourg) anyways.
>>
>>53420203
Also, they seem happy to pay Pajeet half the money for one tenth (at best) the productivity.
>>
The more poos that get hired the slower the world's descent into automation hell will progress. They are literally useless at everything and drag every company that relies on them down. Indian workers are a blessing in the skies.
>>
File: trump_8493210609738227109_n.jpg (53 KB, 735x480) Image search: [Google]
trump_8493210609738227109_n.jpg
53 KB, 735x480
This won't happen with trump
>>
>>53423096

Trump said during the debate last week that he'd expand the H1B program.
>>
>>53423132
We do need the H1B program. We need it to make sure that award winning world renown scientists end up working in America instead of China.
We don't need it to let Microsoft pay Habeeb Bajaj Ramadalami $35k a year to increase their profit margins.
>>
File: 1455916002402pol.jpg (52 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
1455916002402pol.jpg
52 KB, 1000x500
>>53423132
Is that good or bad anon? I hate to Google American politics
>>
>>53420136
Lill work for nothing! Ha, that'll show em
>>
>>53423132
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-position-on-visas
> I remain totally committed to eliminating rampant, widespread H-1B abuse and ending outrageous practices such as those that occurred at Disney in Florida when Americans were forced to train their foreign replacements. I will end forever the use of the H-1B as a cheap labor program, and institute an absolute requirement to hire American workers first for every visa and immigration program. No exceptions.
>>
>>53423132
Trump's position is that if you employee an H1B you must pay him more than you would an American. An H1B should only be allowed to be used if you truly cannot find an American to work in the needed position, it shouldn't be used to import cheap labor.
>>
>>53422684
oh, so basically they're transforming into the Walmart of enterprise software?
>>
>>53423079
Yeah, but when people have to train a foreign replacement, the very reason they're being fired, you must admit that it's a doggy dog world.
>>
>>53420056
IBM Strikes again

>IBM == I've Been Mislead
>>
>>53420056
Remember this at election time America.

Only Trump is trying to fix this, every other candidate (including bernie) supports the expansion of h1b.
>>
>>53423894
That's what happens when Indians are a diamond dozen
>>
>>53424023
>lying
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/05/25/this-is-a-massive-effort-to-attract-cheap-labor-why-sen-bernie-sanders-is-skeptical-of-guest-workers/

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-h1b-visas-gop-debate-immigration-2016-3
>>
>>53424374
>Bern has no actual policy to stop them, he's just 'skeptical'
>Trump wants to raise minimum wage of all H1B workers to a level above that of American workers, thereby pricing H1B's out of the market, except in a situation where an American worker for a particular occupation simply doesn't exist and the company is eating the extra cost.

As always, Bern is all talk no action and Trump is High Energy, getting shit done.
>>
I told you IBM was dead.
>>
>>53422214
Vote trump
>>
>>53425075
>vote
nice meme
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.