[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ever spent a lot of money on something you regret?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: X-Top-Multi-Screen-5-over-5.jpg (14 KB, 400x168) Image search: [Google]
X-Top-Multi-Screen-5-over-5.jpg
14 KB, 400x168
Ever spent a lot of money on something you regret?
>>
>>53413980
I don't spend money often enough for this to happen to me.
>>
You mom.

I'll never see that $3.50 again.
>>
>>53413980
Your mom
>>
>>53413980
I bought a 512GB SSD.
>mfw only 260GB used
go on shill your 15TB ssds
>>
>>53413980
Yes, a very nice set of shelves. Did a lot of research, even reviewing material selection and manufacturing methods. Found a company that make very well known industrial shelving. I bought the highest consumer grade version, the industrial one cost $500 more and I the only real difference was the corrosion resistance factor. Mine was baked enamel sealed steel, the nicer one was pure stainless steel rated for repeat steam sanitation (bakery applications).

The main appeal was long term duality and modular setup. I planned to use them for decades. They worked very well till I moved, went to reassemble them and found the frames has warps just slight enough to no allow me the reconfigure the setup to my new floor plan, which was a big reason for buying them.

Thing was I had never gotten close to their designed limits, but because it had been 5 years the warranty was out. Next time I am just going to build my own shelves and scrap them each time I change setups, the convenience to cost rate would be noticeable better.
>>
On a GTX 980 Ti.
>>
A flagship smartphone for $600+

I don't even play games or use the camera that much. A $200 Moto G would have been fine.
>>
>>53414255
This
People need to learn that 'the best phone' is not always 'the best phone for me'
I spent a shit load when the iphone 3gs first came out.
After that i realised all i do is go on youtube, take pictures, shitpost and use it as a phone. Don't need a super high end processor, shitloads of storage etc.
>can you tell my regret was an iphone?
>>
>>53413980
I spent money on 3 1080p monitors for a widescreen setup, not noticing they lacked VESA mounts
>>
>>53414015
That seems to imply you got the perfect size. A 256 gb would already be 100% full, but a 512 gives you room for the future.
>>
File: 1451416541566.jpg (38 KB, 500x679) Image search: [Google]
1451416541566.jpg
38 KB, 500x679
>>53413980
I regret pretty much everything I buy. Even if I use it and enjoy it and am glad I have it, I keep thinking to myself for years, "did I really need to buy that? Couldn't I have gotten along fine without it? Do I really use it enough to justify what it costs?"

This is true of just about everything. My extra monitors, my home server, my DSLR and it's lenses, the nice suit in my closet, every time I eat at a restaurant, the gas I use driving anywhere even when it was $1.30 a gallon.
>>
>>53415973
But you could look at it from the other side. What would the point of having more unspent money be? Are you just going to keep all the money until you die? Is there anything you could have been able to do if you had a bit more money?

It doesn't really matter in the end.
>>
>>53415973
You only have one life man
>>
>>53416031

>I have no concept of the future.

You think you're going to work forever, anon, you need to save some of what you make for the future, or are you such a manchild that you think that it's the government's responsibility to take care of you when you're old?
>>
File: 1415476807448.jpg (9 KB, 245x237) Image search: [Google]
1415476807448.jpg
9 KB, 245x237
The pre-built I bought years ago when I was first getting into computers
>>
>>53416087
I have a Roth IRA and a 401k. I don't want to worry about wasting a little bit of my disposable income.
>>
PSVita -- Loved P4Golden and Technika Tune but otherwise a huge waste of $200/
>>
>>53416109

Apologies. Your post came off as very consumerist, "Spend everything I make now and then protest at OWS because I'm now too old to work and poor." I too spend a lot of disposable income, but I save/invest 25% of what I make, so it sounds like you're on the right track, although, you might consider getting some riskier investments while you're still young and dial it back when you're like 45. My stocks have outperformed my 401k/Roth by like 3 to 1.
>>
>>53416031
>>53416064
well one thing was probably that I've had normie friends who were all #yolo and got deep into debt and lived paycheck-to-paycheck and it scared the everloving crap out of me.

plus I've observed that nothing really makes me happy so I probably shouldn't fritter away my money trying
>>
>>53414200
Cool send it to me
>>
>>53416168
>plus I've observed that nothing really makes me happy so I probably shouldn't fritter away my money trying
I know that feeling. I keep buying video games despite already knowing they don't entertain me anymore. I want them to be entertaining and it is always a let down.
>>
File: 152.jpg (500 KB, 728x640) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
500 KB, 728x640
>>53413995
>>
I got an extra big paycheck about 2 years ago and went out and bought a 4K TV thinking I would play games on it.

Turns out that not only was my PC not quite ready for 4K in new games, but the TV also has 70ms+ input lag, so it's useless for my needs.

I went back to my 1080p TV real quick.
>>
>>53413995
Are you implying my mom is the lochness monster?
>>
File: what.png (151 KB, 446x1144) Image search: [Google]
what.png
151 KB, 446x1144
Sorta. During highschool I paid about $800 for an HP laptop with an A10-4600M APU. Now I'm stuck with this laptop until I build a Zen desktop. I was a more of a dumbass than I am now back then and I thought the laptop would be good enough to replace a desktop.

I regret having blown all that money for the laptop which now has a dead battery and a dead touchpad, it must always be plugged in and have a usb mouse plugged in all the time for it to work.

However it did an okay job of doing what I wanted it to. BF3 used to run at 30-40 FPS on low 720p settings and any games before that could run even faster.
>>
>>53415280
Ouch
>>
>>53416221
From my experience, games lose their entertainment value once you get older. Or it's just me
>>
File: endme.jpg (43 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
endme.jpg
43 KB, 640x640
GTX Titan, inwin D frame, fractal SSR3 fans, Corsair Spec 03, 128gb of uneeded ram.
>>
I bought 4x 1080 screens and a desk mount for them only to realize i could have got a 40 inch 4k screen for about the same money.
>>
>>53413980
My ex-wife.
>>
File: 2640739-firewatch-5.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
2640739-firewatch-5.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1688
>>53416351
Considering I still watch anime for children and highschoolers I'd kind of expect games to entertain me, but nope.
>>
>>53416360
get a 64gb pci-e nvme ssd and load entire drive into ramdisk at startup
>>
>>53415251
Absolutely, I spent $120 for pic related. I call, I text, save photos and browse the net, nothing more and it completely fulfills my needs
>>
>>53416411
same way. I can watch the most generic ecchi harem anime and love the shit out of it, but the best games bore me to death after 15 minutes
>>
>>53415251
I spent 120 on my phone and a plan that costs me 12$ a month. cant even imagine how people pay 50+ a month
>>
>>53413980
T440s
The processor is weak af and the TouchPad is worse than literal dogshit
Other than that it's 10/10
>>
I've regretted everything except for maybe a handful of purchases in my whole life. I've wasted money on TVs, computers, video games, Pokemon cards (the most stupid of them all) and dozens of other random things. That purchaser's high used to be a motivation to keep buying, but I don't get it anymore. I don't think people really need very many things - after that it's likely trying to fill a void.

>>53417030
I don't get how every 12 year old has parents who willingly pay that $50+ a month
>>
>>53416221
Get a hobby, something that's frustrating but you can do all the time, like art. Get a bunch of printer papers, a clipboard and a nice HB pencil and start. Try reading Loomis's Fun with a Pencil.
>>
A subway sandwich I accidentally spent $12 on, I didn't check the prices of Turkey+Beef.
>>
>>53418056
worst feel
>>
Some chinese tablet years ago before they were semi decent. Shit touchscreen, shit rom, laggy as fuck.
>>
>>53416168
I hate you faggots who think your 'special' and call other 'normies'.

Here a tip faggot. You are normal too. Your just an insecure beta faggot is all. That does not make you special...you fucking normie.
>>
>>53416287
Imma need about tree fiddy
>>
>>53413980
I spent $450 on a video color grading software.

I used it once.
>>
>>53418832
oh and I spelled 'you're' 'your' because I know how it is a trigger for some of you faggots.

Bang bang
>>
>>53414015
That means you bought the right size you fucking retard
>>
MacBookPro, been a pc guy my whole life and decided to plurge 2.3k on the badest 13" they make.

Anti-glare coating is coming off.
What do I need all this processing power for?
Not impressed.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.