[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seal HDD for oil PC build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: do no cover comfy pepe.jpg (77 KB, 650x300) Image search: [Google]
do no cover comfy pepe.jpg
77 KB, 650x300
HDDs have a small air hole to balance air pressure.
What if I'd just seal that hole to make the HDD airtight for the oil container? Would it work if I'd use a thin rubber membrane from a balloon or so, so there can be still some pressure balancing?
This issue is the only thing keeping me from my oil pc build.
>inb4 helium filled HDDs
>inb4 4TB SSDs
>>
Put it in a plastic bag
>>
File: V5CFT7r.jpg (113 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
V5CFT7r.jpg
113 KB, 1000x667
>>53410854
Meh,
getting the plastic bag airtight with the connectors would be a pain. And it'll look like shit.
Anyone tried sealing a HDD?
>>
>>53410810
If you can afford to do that kind of build surely you can buy ssds. Also you'll have to externally mount them. Unless you want to completely fuck up your hdd
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>53410951
I'm doing this because it is cheaper than getting a proper case with a proper water cooling setup.
I want a dead silent build that looks nice enough to put it on the desk.
My plan is to get a cheap ass acrylic aquarium and throw a chopped up frame of an old atx tower in there to give the mainboard and the video card some hold.
>>
Keep HDDs out of the oil, it's pretty much impossible to seal them.
>>
>>53411072
Dude. Don't do it.

You need to do so much shit to it all the time.
If something breaks you need to fix it, and drain everything.

Trust me it is not a good idea. You will regret it later.
>>
>>53411072
My personal experience is that HDD's have to sit outside of the case.
And in all due honesty shits just going to a pain in the ass with maintenance because your going to swap oil every other month ( mineral oil not kitchen oil.)

Your better off putting a good PC in a unused room( basement, closet , whatever) and then configuring wol.

And then using something like a raspberry pi to Remote desktop in and powering it up the computer via WoL.
>>
File: 234.jpg (274 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
234.jpg
274 KB, 1200x900
>>53411117
That dude runs a 6 HDD server in oil. He seals the HDDs with epoxy.
https://youtu.be/7DXMXBnTOH0

>>53411406
>If something breaks you need to fix it, and drain everything.
Well I find myself opening my case maybe once a year, so thats ok.
When I mount the mainboard on a chopped atx tower frame, I can just lift the frame out and leave the oil in the container.

>>53411496
>a pain in the ass with maintenance because your going to swap oil every other month ( mineral oil not kitchen oil.)
Why would I have to change the oil every month?

>Your better off putting a good PC in a unused room( basement, closet , whatever) and then configuring wol.
I have actually done that before. But haveing a big strain of wires running between the rooms annoyed me. Also USB never quite worked that good.
I did not use WoL, I actually extended the power button with a wire to the other room. It was nicely quiet, though.
>>
>>53411709
If and when the oil gets dirty, you will need to change it. If and when something goes wrong, you will need to drain and drip dry anything that is being RMAed or replaced. If and when the weak cheap ass acrylic cracks, it will stain your carpet, stain wood, and be hours worth of cleanup at least.
Not to mention the build process will take an incredibly long time.

You're better off sealing your case, going as passive as possible with cooling, and buying quality parts. Oil cooling cost a metric fuck ton of time and money. And once you do it, those submerged components need to be completely cleaned which can take weeks.
>>
HDDs go outside of a mineral oil rig.

also don't do it. it's a meme, just get water cooling or Noctuas.
>>
If you want things to look good (ie. modern, clean and unaltered) this is the answer.

Or put a dead 3.5 inch HDD in unconnected as a dummy.
>>
>>53412874
>>53410951
>>
>>53411709
i don't see the added value
he sill has 3 fans to cool the oil - so he might as well use 3 fans in the case and don't use oil at all
>>
>>53412981
>he sill has 3 fans to cool the oil - so he might as well use 3 fans in the case and don't use oil at all
Do I?
I dont want to have a performance gaming build. 30 kilos of oil + the large surface of the aquarium will propably be enough. If not I'd just cover the complete backside of the aquarium with fanless heat sinks. Pretty sure this will do it.
You guys have a lot of hate for oil rigs.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>53413108
>oil rigs
>>
>>53413108
They dont hate oil rigs. They are warning you.
>>
>>53413108
look dude if you want to do it - then do it

just don't expect us to say it's a good idea just because it's cumbersome, impractical and in almost every way worse than doing a normal build and the only feature it has is you can shill about it, until you realize how stupid it makes you look
>>
Today, OP was confirmed to be a retard.
>>
File: 1425504170523.gif (2 MB, 257x210) Image search: [Google]
1425504170523.gif
2 MB, 257x210
>>53413196
like every other day.
See you in a guts thread when I'm finished.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.