[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career questions & advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: computerprogrammingcareerguys.jpg (33 KB, 301x231) Image search: [Google]
computerprogrammingcareerguys.jpg
33 KB, 301x231
Post all your IT-related career questions and answers here.
>>
File: mcRn8QE.jpg (73 KB, 293x533) Image search: [Google]
mcRn8QE.jpg
73 KB, 293x533
>>53409289

I have been programming for the last 4+ years but not constantly and I'm about to graduate. I've also done android for the last 2 years but again not constantly.

I think my experience would translate to 2+ years and 1 for Android, but my problem is besides Android I have no real projects to show. I want to get a backend Java EE job.

How would I best put this experience on my resume?
>>
Just got done watching Davos 2016 - The State of Artificial Intelligence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBceREwF7SA

I am about a year and a half off of my bachelors in CS, and am very excited to work with AI.
The only thing is that I am not very, lets just say, socially adept to something as big as working at a full fledged company.

Any tips/ideas on what I can do to prepare myself for the workplace?
>>
>>53409289
What would be the most important programming languages for one to learn to get into the cyber security field?
>>
>>53409289
no
>>
Um, I just realized that I need to learn programming and/or computer science in order to become a software developer and/or ???

Actually I realized this months ago but then I got sidetracked by being overwhelmed with not knowing where to start, as well as other life situations. But I'm really motivated and think it's a great path for me, I'm also not a complete moron and have some basic knowledge as well as good math skills, etc....

Mainly though, where do I begin? What does it take to become a software developer? "Software developer" is synonymous with "Programmer", yes? I fully intend to give myself a well rounded CS education, starting with Harvard's CS50 course that's online and branching out to different programming languages and other disciplines, but what do you need to learn in order to get an entry level job?
>>
How hard are computer science/IT related studies?

I care more for art studies and history but I don't want to work at mcdonalds
>>
>>53409816
>How hard are computer science/IT related studies?

They are somewhat difficult. If you don't like it then don't do it.
>>
>>53409416
Even being a code monkey can give you an entry level job. You should decide for yourself what you want to do.
>>
>>53409319

bump
>>
>>53409289
Which is the best language to learn to get a lot of money?
- csharp
- java
- javascript
- php
- python
- ruby
>>
I want to become a webdeveloper, which operating system should I install?
- archlinux, antergos, or manjaro
- ubuntu
- macosx with homebrew
- windows with docker-toolbox
>>
>>53410573

Depends on the company. In general probably Java EE and .NET.

>>53410594

Whichever you like most.
>>
>>53410573
The language with the biggest demand and the lowest supply of people who can use it. For example PHP jobs pay less because a lot of people know PHP so the company can pick who to hire
>>
>>53410594
doesn't matter.
>>
>>53409331
stop being autistic...
>>
>>53410594
Ubuntu (or any Linux really).
>>
File: 1457387998470.jpg (163 KB, 2200x1238) Image search: [Google]
1457387998470.jpg
163 KB, 2200x1238
>>53409289
Have any of you ever met a physicist working in your company?

I'm a physics undergraduate and I want to go into computational physics, and I wonder how the job market looks like for that sort of thing in the industry. I could always go into research, but I'm curious
>>
Is getting an A+ certificate going to help me get more job opportunities?
>>
>>53409289
So I want to learn new programming language and I don't know which one should I try. I know CSS is now and will be top notch in the future but other programmers said that i should go for Ruby. So which one? Maybe I should go for something else?
>>
>>53411015
knowing css is not great unless you design really really well. even then, its limited.. Yes, ruby is a great program but its not something you can learn over night as it is not exactly a beginner language
>>
>>53409416
you just answered yourself so many times

Do CS50 and see which program you like best and venture into it..

Mainly people start with html and css and then do other things but it really depends.
>>
>>53410991
Kind of. Job experience/portfolio is another factor but getting good grades is an equally important factor. Dont fuck up
>>
>>53410594
Doesnt matter at all. Whatever your budget allows.
>>
>>53409416
>need to learn programming
>to become a software developer

You just realized this? What did you think software devs even did?
>>
>>53409353
Python

>>53410573
Not what language you can use, it's what you know how to apply with it.

>>53410594
Any Linux os

>>53410991
Yes but not as much as work experience or personal projects.

>>53411015
If you know CSS, I assume you're going the front end web development route. I suggest learning JavaScript and ux design. If you want to get into backend development get into node.js and practice making servers.
>>
>>53410594
Why the fuck does operating system has anything to do with being a web developer.
>>
>>53410978
An acquaintance of mine is. Dunno about the field, but there should be something.
>>
>>53411073
Fuck, sorry, I meant C++. I want to work as software developer. I misstyped over there. So, will C++ be needed in future has it got any chance against any other modern programming language? I want to know is it worth learning, I'm still studying and probably going to work right after the graduation.
>>
>>53409353
Oh god please no. Tell me its not going to be the cybersecurity meme again.
>>
>>53409319
Put it on your resume as 4 years java (presumably SE) and 2 years Android. Provide link to Play store if you published it or github if not. Or worse case install on your own phone describe teh app on your resume and bring the phone to demo @ an interview
>>
>>53409289
>3409289â–¶>>53409319 >>53409353 >>53409356 >>53410573 >>53410978 >>53411015
I made a mistake during my Bachelor and took a hell of a lot of cryptography modules. Any idea where that could be useful ?
>>
>>53412701

I don't think I have the equivalent of 4 years of professional experience because I didn't work every day. Also how do I justify it when I only have an intership on my last year of school?

If it were Python/PHP or something I'd say I freelanced for x years but Java EE there's not much there.
>>
>>53412798
If you are applying for a grad position then you always have zero years professional experience. If you are interviewing for a grad position and you actually have professional experience you are selling yourself short and are a fucking idiot.
When applying for a grad position write 4 years and add a section to describe the projects you worked on (not fizz buzz) maybe you wrote an IRC bot or a website scraper or played around with Spring.
By writing 4 years and listing your personal projects you're telling the company your are somewhat competent at writing software compared to another candidate who only did course work for their degree.
Say you leave the company after 2 years then yes only write 2 years professional. But for a grad resume list what you've reasonably tinkered with.
>>
I'm a college dropout(I went to 1 lecture) and have been a neet for 4 years doing literally fucking nothing

I have never had a job

how do I into I.T

how do I explain my lack of experience?
what lie should I use for doing nothing for 4 years?
>>
>>53413035
Get some actual formal education then
Buy a domain. Create a shitty parallax website.
Lie and state you have created your own startup reference website but it didn't work out
do some reading about business plans etc so you can bullshit about your made up startup watch some youtube about other peoples lessons learnt from tehir failed startup and bullshit through interview
>>
>>53412926
>grad position

I'm applying for entry level jobs. I don't think I can say I have 4 years of experience because I don't feel like it (as I said I haven't programmed every day). But I am also not a noob that can't program or hasn't been exposed to a few languages.
>>
>>53410573
In order

Java
Python in science/data
Php if youre good + javascript + sql youre going web route, ruby too really
>>
>>53413495
Say two years if it makes you happy.
when I read resumes for graduate positions I understand that applicants' only real experience might be an internship or major project as part of their degree. Writing X years if you have been reasonably active over that time for that language. What are more important to me is: your not a NEET with no interpersonal skills, you've worked in a team environment, your going to turn up and work your contracted hours, you ACTUALLY want to be doing a job like this for at least 1-3 years (I'm providing you training and experience, your basically useless to me for the first 3 months only after that time is the drain you put on the team likely to counter the input of your work)
>>
Should I intern at Amazon or Facebook?
>>
>>53409289
How did you guys get a topic for your bachelor thesis? I really struggle with it right now because I honestly don't know WHAT to do.
>>
>>53413495
What do you think accurately describes a good graduate caditdate and reasonably explains your experience without overstating

------- My Resume -------
> Personal particulars
> Goal / career statement
-------- Languages/Skills ---------
Java 4 years (Android 2 years) - Good understanding
Python X years - Reasonable understanding
C/C++ 1 year - basic understanding
Excel/Word
Bash scripting
Linux/Windows
------- Education -----
>List of formal education
------- Experience / Personal Projects -------
Internship - Java - Worked on ~ 50k project blah blah blah what you did
Web scraper - Java ~5k lines some description
IRC bot - C/C++ ~ 1k lines some description
Twitter clone - Java spring ~2k blah blah blah wanted to learn spring
> References and other crap

------- My Resume Pleb edition -------
> Personal particulars
> Goal / career statement
-------- Languages/Skills ---------
Java 2 units + 12 weeks internship
Python 1 unit
C/C++ 1 unit
Excel/Word
Bash scripting
Linux/Windows
------- Education -----
>List of formal education
------- Experience / Personal Projects -------
Internship - Java - 12 weeks
Twitter clone - Java spring - 4 weeks before giving up on a broken build
Web scraper - Java - 2 weeks wanted to scrape images from 4 chan
IRC bot - C/C++ - 1 week - saw it in a DPT
Intro to programming - Java unit
Data structures and algorithms - Java unit
Some other unit - Python
Some different unit - C/C++
> References and other crap
>>
>>53413640

Thanks, good advice! Do you have any book suggestions for social skills? I bought https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23232941-soft-skills book which has good reviews.
>>
I'm in a 2 year program that covers and certifies for
A+ (801 and 802)
Security+
Linux+
CCNA
MCSA
C|HFI

It also nets an Associates degree upon successful graduation. With those certs, will I still be looking at help desk level bullshit or would I be able to apply for a system administrator type position? Last thing I want to do is work in a fucking call center again.
>>
Is it worth going into Computer Security & Forensics or is it all just one big meme?
>>
>>53413870
somewhere in the middle. you'll be a network admin's bitch for a year or two most likely.
>>
>>53413890
That's what I figured. I understand I'll need to build up professional experience, but the idea is to love up to a full administration position. And I don't mind doing the grunt work for a while, as long as I never have to say "Thanks for calling Sprint my name is Anon, how can I help you today?" again.
>>
>>53413870
also those comptia certs are pretty broad and useless. when I see somebody flaunting a tiaA+ on a resume i immediately think "fucking retard." Pick something to specialize in whether it be networks, security or something else that interests you. nobody cares if you're 'meh' at 10 things, they're only interested if you're really good at one or two things
>>
>>53413856
wait wut? you want to learn social skills from a book?
talk to people on the bus, talk to the staff when your getting a coffee, buying groceries, or buying McFats
Basically its can you say hello to everyone in the morning, can you go up to administration and talk to them about organising something for you, can you sit in a design session and discuss basically how you would make changes to a component to resolve something, can you discuss your progress and/or estimates for work with your team leader / project manager / boss, can you not just sit in the corner and freak everyone the fuck out.
>>
>>53413950
That's good to know. The idea is to get my foot in the door in the field right now. I can't very well put "I build my own computers and have been charging people on Craigslist to secure their wifi for 6 years" on a resume.

Well, maybe the second part if I dress it up the right way, but you get the idea.
>>
>>53413975
>wait wut? you want to learn social skills from a book?

Obviously I want to learn the type of social skills required to succeed in a work environment, specifically software development/
>>
>>53414732
you want to know how to succeed in a work environment
step 1 dont buy this book
step 2 befriend (work friendly is sufficient) people 1 or 2 positions higher thanyou. so when they get promoted they are likely to pull you up with them
step 3 network outside of work so you can move jobs and move up
step 0 don'tbe a fucken NEET dont reference anything from meme culture (unless you're using slack)
>>
>>53409289
I go to Brown and I've decided to major in CS. Will I be fine?
>>
>>53409289

>Hey guyz, I want to make money !!

Java

>Duh, everybody does Java

Scala

>No, that rules are suffocating me!! I wannbe a leeet hax00r and make money!

Assembler

>Oh well, that's seems pretty restricted to technical stuff..

C

>No, actually I don't need technical stuff at all. More like games programming and such things..

C++

>Ah, forget about it. I want more.. security! A big company! I want to be.. a Micro$hill !!!

.Net or C#

>B-but that's maybe too complicated..

VBA

>Uhm.. no, I don't want to do office stuff..

Apache with PHP / JavaScript / SQL / HTML

>But those are so many languages..

A web framework (Laravel, Django, Ruby on Rails .. )

>Noo, that's too narrow. I want an all purpose language!

Python

>No, I want to be a special snowflake!

Ruby

>Even more special!

Perl

>Super super super special!

Haskell, Erlang or Fortran

>No, more.. more math

R

>Oh wait, I had a change of heart. Forget about the money. Just pure math.

Lambda calculus

>Too easy

Malbolge
>>
>>53409289
am i the only one who desen't give a fuck bout his careere and just loving to programm or fixing lunix issues?
>>
>>53409319
>Java EE
lmao hahaha
>>
>>53415337

Yes.
>>
>>53409319
If you programmed stuff on the side while in school, I wouldn't count it as experience. I'd instead include specific projects in my portfolio.

If you have some time, write a J2EE web app for your portfolio as well.
>>
>>53411182
Yes, C++ is fine. Also, 90% of C++ skills are plain imperative OO and therefore transferrable to Java, C#, Python or Swift. You won't paint yourself into a corner.
>>
>>53415323
I can write programs in Java and C#,
I did few websites using MEAN stuff and such, I know javascript too and most of the libs but if I have to find a job where I want money, and be secure as much as for the next 10 years what should I look for ?

fullstack webdev or something more /dpg/ than /wdg/
>>
>>53415454

I don't know man.

I never did web stuff, but from what I've seen WebDev can be nice, as long as you work in a big company with some big customers.

The freelancer WebDevs I know have an awfull life IMHO, but if you need "Muh freedom" and don't care about working twice as much, do it.

But everything can work out, you just have to like what you are doing so you can be git gud at it without hating your job after some years.
>>
>>53411156
most people here like idea of doing something, not actually doing it.
>>
>>53415590
fuck the freelance its ok if ur 20ish in bay area and come from higher mid class family but its shit otherwise if you are not genius or lucky
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.