[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your rack /g/ents. Shows us your network...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: SYS32.EXE.jpg (653 KB, 1972x2048) Image search: [Google]
SYS32.EXE.jpg
653 KB, 1972x2048
Post your rack /g/ents. Shows us your network...
>>
Why do people have all this networking equipment? is something to be gained by ditching / upgrading my comcast stock router?

My apartment has 3 laptops 2 PCs 5 consoles and 3 mobile devices and a few miscellaneous things all connected to the wifi and it runs just fine?
>>
>Post your rack

I'm not that kind of girl...
>>
>>53403549
i wish i had the money to make a nice setup
fuck my country, fuck mexico.
I hope trump wins.

>>53403737
kek
>>
>>53403720
>ditching / upgrading my comcast stock router?
Yes. You gain manageability and depending on what you buy you get better performance.
>>
>>53403720
It's a hobby.
>>
File: servertower02.jpg (2 MB, 1841x5295) Image search: [Google]
servertower02.jpg
2 MB, 1841x5295
>>53403549
The big switch in back is a Cisco Catalyst 4507 that I got on CL for $100.
>>
>>53403720

former Comcast wireless tech here.

The Comcast gateway basically spies on you. It keeps track of EVERY machine that connects to that gateway and sends that info to Comcast. I can't quite remember if the gateway does this when in pass-through mode where you use your own router/ap, but I'm almost positive the older Motorola cable modems don't do this... And they're trying to get rid of all of them.

Personally, if there's an option to avoid Comcast, I'd do it at all costs.
>>
>>53403791
Top to bottom:
PFSense Router (J1900 build)
Cisco Switch
Dual hexcore (offline atm) that I had been using as my hypervisor
1U box for future use (currently has an old desktop board in it)
Dual hexcore media server
Friend's colo'd server (hypervisor)
Offline AMD server
UPS

I'm in the middle of changes so only two of my servers are online.
>>
>>53403830
>pass-through mode
I've heard that this forces "Xfinity Wifi" to be enabled. Your options are to get fucked or share your internet connection with your neighbors.
>>
Are there any racks that come in small-and-inexpensive flavors? Part of me would like to move my desktop, home server, switch, etc into a rack but I only need like 12-15u of space, not 42. And it'd be a big plus if it looked like a nondescript cabinet and fit under my desk.

>>53403830
at least where I am Comcast just let me buy my own cable modem and router and never use their gateway. There was a list of compatible models. Granted, they don't advertise that you can do this, but you can.
>>
>>53403860

I can't quite remember, and I'd have to dig up my old training materials to double check it (if I still even have that stuff).

again, if there's an option in your area that's not Comcast, go for it even if it costs more for slower speeds.
>>
>>53403907

yeah and you don't get much in the way of support either. We really used to push for compliance from our customers. We would support everything up to the connection to your personal cable modem itself.
>>
>>53403549
I can run a FTP sever through a raspberry pi. How does this benefit you if its installed in your own home?
>>
>>53403720

How else do I connect multiple pieces of equipment to my network without networking gear? Also I have an IPS Firewall and Smart switch which allows me great management of my devices, whats connected and so on. VLAN, separate subnets for guest wifi/acess, etc.
>>
>>53403946
One time I ever had a tech out he didn't complain about it. Granted that wasn't an issue with any of my stuff, the connection went down because a neighbor's landscapers cut a cable digging up a stump.

and the only other wireline provider here is AT&T, which is probably the one option that's even worse than Comcast.
>>
>>53403907

Yes, you can get a desktop 12U rack server from startech.. at startech.com
>>
File: fun things are fun.jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fun things are fun.jpg
87 KB, 640x480
>>53403995
>>
>>53403995

Access to local files from a remote location, foremost.
>>
File: RK12OD.main.jpg (5 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
RK12OD.main.jpg
5 KB, 200x200
>>53403907

http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/Racks/12U-19in-Open-Frame-Desktop-Rack~RK12OD
>>
File: RKWOODCAB12.main.jpg (19 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
RKWOODCAB12.main.jpg
19 KB, 600x600
>>53404014
>>53404064
this thing (http://www.startech.com/Server-Management/Racks/12U-server-cabinet-with-wood-finish~RKWOODCAB12) was literally exactly what I was hoping to find. Bit too rich for my blood though, guess I'll just have to live with the mess I have now.
>>
>>53404104

I literally remodeled my office, put the closet in to be able to have the rack to host the equipment. Which next week I'll start making hard wire Ethernet runs/drops around the house. Now there is 3 Ubiquity access points.

I got my rack off amazon for like 160.00. 42u open 2 post. Of course everything built/bought is to completely smart-ify my house from wireless, hard wire, security, smart home features.
>>
Is there a guide/breakdown/sticky somewhere on beginners setups and what the individual components do?
>>
>>53403946
Not as much as charter. They forbid using a non-charter modem. They then use their modem to commonly down your Internet connection. (They don't thoroughly test modem firmware updates before deployment)
>>
>>53404165
2 post works for network stuff but it's not going to hold servers or desktops.
>>
>>53403549

I never understood the point of having any networking equipment at home.

like, what's the point, I'll be on VLAN 1 with QoS 0. And fucking mom can be vlan 2 with QoS 7.
>>
>>53404649
you've never had a family that likes to stream three things at the same time every night have you
>>
>>53404666

not that intensive, but I get 120 gigs down so it never really matters
>>
Where is a good place to buy rack components? Also what things can be racked? I know Pc's / routers can, but what about NAS ssd enclosures or audio equipment?

can bluerayplayers or hdmi switchers or dmx controllers be mounted?
>>
I don't have a full rack, but I do have 37 raspberry pi 2s that I rent out to people who want dedicated minecraft/terraria/fotm servers
>>
>>53404666
google fiber
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.