[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post on why the massively shilled "gayming voip app&quo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 6
File: Discordapp.jpg (36 KB, 1080x675) Image search: [Google]
Discordapp.jpg
36 KB, 1080x675
Post on why the massively shilled "gayming voip app" is shit
https://r4p3.net/threads/what-is-discord.861/#post-6224
Thoughts?
>>
tfw trying to convince people mumble is better

>but its ugly

>but no individual volume control (which does suck desu but they are adding that soon)

>but muh free servers (despite murmur being a thing)

not being inherently trusting of software developers is our burden I guess
>>
>>53403314
>it's ugly
the new dev snapshots look sweet and it's already cuztomizable as fuck.
>>
>>53403394
this, there are skins out there that make mumble less ugly
>>
>>53402922
Expected something like this when I first saw the Discord website.
Gonna stay with Mumble.
>>
>>53403314
>>but no individual volume control (which does suck desu but they are adding that soon)
Isn't that automatic?
>>
>>53402922
>massively shilled
>makes a shill thread

at least you made me reply.
>>
>You can't change the audio quality so skype is better

The argument about the guys' history of pumping and dumping companies is solid and good reason not to use the service but lets not be lying about features.
>>
>>53403699
Are there no numbers or did you crop that out?
>>
>>53403718
The number shows when you hover over the slider.

It goes from 8kbps to 96kbps, the position shown in that image is 64kbps, the default setting.
>>
File: KMICcjY.png (232 KB, 781x830) Image search: [Google]
KMICcjY.png
232 KB, 781x830
>>53403699
Bitrate was added 18th of february
Post was made 17th of january
https://blog.discordapp.com/2016/
>>
Is Tox still a thing?
>>
>>53403576

The automatic volume control can't stifle high pitched Asperger's (like legit diagnosis not memesperg)
>>
>>53403772
Ye, but Tox is more of an IM thing like Skype. Discord is made for communities like Teamspeak or Mumble.
>>
>>53403768
The feature exists now, it doesn't matter that it didn't exist in the past, we're not discussing the past versions of discord.

Don't get me wrong, there's reasons not to use it and the extremely dodgy company behind it is a great reason, I'm not recommending that people use it either.

But conversely I also cringe in disgust every time someone recommends skype, which is every bit as awful and extra on top.
>>
>>53403806
VOIP isn't supported?
>>
>>53403859
It is, but programs like Skype and Tox have different purpose that programs like Mumble or Discord.
>>
>>53402922
>teamspeak
>secure

Into the trash it fucking goes. It's so easy to get a RAT by joining someone server
>>
>>53403897
its a forum for teamspeak cucks thats why, does not devalue the points against discord.
Use mumble desu.
>>
>>53403944
Mumble is obviously superior but it easier to convince Skype normies to move to Discord than Mumble. Also I do not want to pay for a server or host one which requires sharing my IP.
>>
I mean Discord isn't bad, it could be better (and its getting there) but it isn't bad it lacks some features but the implementation of chat bots pretty much sealed it be a better way to host pick up game bots n such.Still i prefer mumble to it just because it is a lot more intuitive and is fine for a server with a couple of friends. I think discord is trying to make its service work for larger communities rather than focusing on what mumble does but improve it.
>>
>>53403897
>why do I keep getting sick when drinking from the septic tank?
start your own server, retard.
>>
File: lmao.jpg (87 KB, 620x592) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
87 KB, 620x592
>discord

i can't believe people are actually using this shit
>>
just assumptions and tears from a freetard, nothing to see here
>>
>>53403314
I set up a Mumble server and convinced all my friends to switch, but there is one jackass who can't get his USB mic to work in Mumble.

Tox, likewise, is entirely broken for someone else in the group.

Skype sucks for everyone, but it's minimally functional, so it's what most groups I play with use - except for one, where the most charismatic individual can't get Skype to start up, so they use Discord. Said individual randomly has syllables dropped out of voip by Discord.
>>
Wow OP I was just about to make a thread with that exact forum post.

I really want to like Discord, but I'm really really skeptical about their security and their shit eating CEO that has, as >>53403699 put it, "history of pumping and dumping companies." Discord isn't even profitable, too, right? Like it's just eating investor money and collecting data to sell to third parties maybe?

If there are any Discord users, is it worth putting your security at risk so you don't have to pay for Mumble/TeamSpeak or endure the shittiness of Skype? I want to use Discord, but I actually fear for muh internet security.
>>
>>53403964
>Skype normies

.... fuck these people.
>>
Just use teamspeak.
>>
>>53404709
If you're using it to talk about videogames there's not really much 'personal' info, but I get the point.

Me and my friends all used skype, and switched because it had more features. We wanted an ultra secure p2p chat client, but it just doesn't exist, so we stuck with Discord. If it goes down we'll switch back to Skype and try again
>>
>>53402922
What wrong with jitsi (xmpp) client/videobrige?
https://jitsi.org
https://meet.jit.si/
>>
The protocol is nuts, it was clearly designed by webdevs.
>>
File: 1219051578934.jpg (40 KB, 251x390) Image search: [Google]
1219051578934.jpg
40 KB, 251x390
>>53404709
What security?

Fucking Dota 2 strats and cat photos?

It's a fucking gaming VoIP whats there to hide or actually collect?

It's beyond me. What would you collect out of mumble or teamspeak?
>>
>>53404837
>>53404894

I'm unsure what data is being sent to their servers and what is encrypted and what isn't. Couldn't it be possible for someone to hack their servers and steal unencrypted data such as saved IP addresses? I'm not even sure what you would do with that information but it sounds bad enough to stay away from.
>>
>>53404917
Skype used to give IP adresses as soon as you knew someones nickname.

There was huge ddos issues in multiple games because of it.

Microsoft only started to care like 2 months ago and this has been going on for years...

I mean it's literally GAMING CHAT SOFTWARE.

It's like someone being butthurt about PSN message security.

If you're actually serious about security you'll use secure channels to communicate what you want secretly or discretely.

This is literally made for Dota 2, CS:GO, MMO of the Month/Year.

It's not a fucking bank account support chat.

If they stored Discord chat in %yourchatname%chat.txt I wouldn't give a flying fuck.
>>
>>53404917
the same can be said of the games themselves.

Hell someone could end up with my ip from rand()

Point is I'm not going to worry about it. I use throwaway accounts for just about everything, and the email I signed up for discord with expires in probably a few months and is only good to me for another month anyways.

If someone wants my data on discord they can have it. I'm waiting for a better client anyways, it's not like I'm not aware that Discord isn't as safe as chat clients ought to be
>>
>>53402922
without resorting to gimmicks or memes can someone actually explain what this offers that isn't already achievable through teamspeak and a steam group?
>>
>>53405063
Some dedicated server that handles both at the same time and can be run from a browser.

Better question would be why is this better then Skype?

Because of the dedicated server while Skypes p2p
>>
>>53404999

Wow I had no idea about the Skype issues actually. And I suppose you're right, so long as I'm not inputting any sensitive data into it I should be fine?

I just have the dumb irrational fear that "if packets of data are going to their servers from the games I play, couldn't they possibly see sensitive data??" but again, that's retarded as far as I know. I'm sure that data is encrypted and wouldn't just be visible from some shitty little voice program.
>>
>>53404894
Their Gamecenter predecessor for iOS and Android, OpenFeint actually read your contact list and sent it unencrypted to some server.
I agree nobody cares how you ERP over VoIP with your furry guildmates in WoW but who knows what shady shit this program does behind the scene.
>>
>>53403747
Seems enough

>>53404717
Like +95% on these days, right?
I also think Skype -> Discord is easier than anything -> Mumble. You sort of need to be an enthusiast to use mumble these days, specially on "casual" gameplay. Can really work with a clan, tho. Which is probably better anyway (TS3/Mumble).
>>
SO WHAT THE FUCK SHOULD I USE?

Skek botnet Discuck botnet Teamshit botnet Muhmble botnet

and they are all memes, what the fuck should i be using /g/? Honestly though what?
>>
I actually use this because all my friends switched to it. Not too thrilled but still better than Skype. The gamer meme shit is pretty gay but besides that it's alright.
>>
>>53406546
Send .flac recordings over IRC.
>>
File: 1405453675071.jpg (17 KB, 411x292) Image search: [Google]
1405453675071.jpg
17 KB, 411x292
How does discord finance itself?
>>
>>53406652
The usual bunch of idiots with more money than sense, AKA venture capital.
>>
Discord isn't meant to be taken as seriously as you are all taking it.

It's a chat program. It doesn't broadcast your IP to the world. Anyone can make a server and set it up how they like.

I don't see the problem.

It's Slack for video games. Not a damn clue how they plan to monetize though.
>>
yet another thing I like that /g/ becomes asshurt over.
>>
>>53402922
It's free. I talk about nothing important on it. If it's a pump and dump I'll use another service.
>>
they claim to not sell to 3rd parties and they are going to be profitable by selling skins, icons and other shit for the client.

ya sounds like magic and mad investors
>>
>>53406546
Use whatever the fuck you want, it doesn't matter
>>
webrtc voip is nice
>>
>>53403394
>>53403562
I think the snapshots of Mumble started using https://github.com/xPoke/MetroMumble as default skin, use it.
>>
>>53404155

I couldn't believe it either mate, but apparently it's popular enough to the point that the guild I've hung out with for the past 5 years has completely moved over there, and the IRC channel we used is deserted. Shit fucking sucks.
>>
>>53403964
>pay
Mumble server with 20 slots costs 2$ a month.
>>
>>53406775
>>Anyone can make a server

No. You can make a lobby, not a server.
>>
>using a browser based VOIP application
Why?

>chatting with your friends
>press shortcut to change tabs and press F5 to refresh an another tab
>accidentally mess up the shortcut
>instead refresh the Discord tab
>>
You gentlemen do realize that there is a /g/ server on discord, right?
>>
>>53410909
yes and it's full of the reddit tier EBIN MEMES and trap RP that you'd expect.

It's also a massive literal tripfag circlejerk.
>>
>>53410928
Are you by any chance a poster who goes under the name Tarra.exe?
>>
Discord is literally perfect for our purposes.

It works without issues, unlike Skype. It's easy to install and configure. It has per-user volume settings and muting.

The issue of security is a non-issue as we use it to play videogames.
>>
>>53410878
>chatting with your friends
>press shortcut to close windows
>accidentally mess up the shortcut
>instead close the mumble/ts3/vent tab
>>
>>53411002
>>The issue of security is a non-issue as we use it to play videogames.

This sentence doesn't make any sense. Discord is a VOIP program, not a game client. Go back to school.
>>
>>53410878
To make it easy to invite people. When they decide they want to stay, they install the desktop program.
>>
>>53411019
I honestly don't know if I should grace you with honest reply or not.

Rewrite your post with any attempts at insults removed and you'll get one, I guess.
>>
>>53402922
What's it say?
>>
>>53405063
>better codec
>much less cpu usage
>multiple easy to access and manage and fast loading text channels for filesharing between friends or just pic dumps
>multiple server locations you can switch between on the fly with only half a second downtime during the switch
>actual tech support
>youtube embedding
>text formats for posting code in text channels
Last but not least
>doesn't look like shit
Steam groups load stupidly slow, the chat is garbage, the voice chat on steam is garbage.

There is literally no reason not to use discord for groups of 3+ who regularly voicechat/chat together.
>>
>>53411039
They have no source of income and founders worked on projects they abandoned and sold before.
>>
>>53405063
>why should I install one small program if I get similar but less functionality by installing two programs that each use more ram/cpu while performing worse
>>
My friends and I use and enjoy Discord, we use it for team based video games such as Fractured Space.

None of us have had problems with it but this thread worries me, is there any evidence of it stealing details and selling them to people?
If there is we will obviously stop using it but we'd all hope we can continue with it.
>>
>>53411075
There is no evidence but it's not a difficult assumption to make considering it has no source of income.

But it can only steal what you give it. If it actively searched your computer for details to sell, it would be a huge scandal and a disaster, with very negative outcome for its founders.
>>
I've been using Mumble for many years; I hadn't even heard of Discord until I saw this thread. I only use Skype for video calling my family members.
>>
>>53411075
Just tinfoil hatters with no evidence, are you that gullible? If it just werks for you, use it. Also what kind of details are you afraid of being stolen from you?
>>
>>53411075
>is there any evidence?
No.
/g/ is basically /pol/.
If you like something, you're a shill. All is evil jew work
>>
gaddammit /g/ is there any fucking program out there in the world that:
- doesn't give your ip to the people you chat with (e.g. Tox)
- doesn't require you to sign up with personal info (e.g. Telegram)
- doesn't put you on government lists (e.g. tor and tor derivatives (Ricochet))

and still has not-shit secure communictions?
>>
>>53411152
Well there's WASTE for text chat and secure file transfers; I used to use the latest WASTE fork several years back to chat with my friends and send them shit before everyone decided it was too troublesome and we just started using steam and sending files with magnet links instead. Of course I have no idea if it's still secure today or who took over development, but back in the day it was amazing.

I've never heard complaints about Mumble for voice chat.

As for programs giving out your IP, you can't actually chat with someone without connecting to their computer (and thus, you are exposing your IP address by definition simply by doing this; they can easily go look up their active connections and find you). If you wanted to avoid that, you'd have to have the server running on a different machine.
>>
>>53411288
>you can't actually chat with someone without connecting to their computer
>you can by doing <...>

are you ok
>>
>>53411288
>I've never heard complaints about Mumble for voice chat.
I host a Mumble server. The Opus codec has an bug that sometimes renders ear-wrecking screeches, see https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/issues/957

As of the latest version we've been getting audio bugs with CELT too.

All in all I find TeamSpeak WAAAY better but ditched it because it's closed-source proprietary botnet.
>>
>>53411303
What don't you understand? Computers have to make connections to other computers for any sort of interaction to occur, and once a connection is opened, it's trivial to find out the IP address of whatever you're connected to. This is just how IP works, you can't make a connection without both parties knowing each others' IPs.

If you're running the chat server on your computer, everyone who connects the to the chat can get your IP address, whether the program is exposing it or not; they might not be able to get the IPs of everyone else, it depends on the security of the program in question.
>>
Our faction uses it for Elite: Dangerous, and it's perfect.

Also, after Slack dropped the react.js reactiflux group because it was 'too big', discord accepted them.

Great app, great developers. Go outside more.
>>
>>53411368
>If you're running the chat server on your computer
What if I don't, genius?
>>
>>53411419
Then they'd only get the IP of the computer it's running on, obviously. Unless the program exposed the IPs of everyone else.
>>
>>53411510
>Then they'd only get the IP of the computer it's running on, obviously.
>you can't actually chat with someone without connecting to their computer
Why I don't understand is how you are able to write these and still keep a straight face.
>>
>>53411152
why don't you make one yourself
>>
>>53411527

lel the banter is too funny.

And yes, the autismo didn't quite get what I was hinting at, which was that I want the chat to be run on a centralized server. Most people don't want that because "muh buttnet" but I am in a situation where I would trust the nsa and a shitty corp over the ppl with whom I am speaking.

but i still want encrypted comm. I basically need Telegram without the tele faggotry
>>
>>53406652
They talked about soon selling paid cosmetic shit like emotes.
>>
>>53411327
I can confirm this so much, my friends and I had steelseries Siberia v2 as our headset back in the day and holy shit there was a screech every five minutes, they were always loud and like a whole second long. Once we got better headphones and dedicated mics it no longer happened however.
>>
>>53402922
Mumble shills on suicide watch
>>
Moved from mumble to discord, apart from stupid UI discord is miles better and doesnt require a server
>>
>>53402922

Please turn JavaScript on and reload the page.
DDoS protection by CloudFlare
Ray ID: 28182a1504b73cfb

Nope.jpeg
>>
I prefer Curse Voice desu
>>
I wonder what it's like to be autistic enough to care
>>
>>53404489
I know this feel. I've been running a mumble server for my friends for years. One person has some client side problem with dropped packets(I think) making them sound like a robot sometimes until they reconnect and all of a sudden they're trying to get everyone onto discord. Its a fucking power grab is what it really is. They don't want to solve the problem, they just don't want a server for the group that they're not in control of. Why do gaming groups always have that guy?

P.S. Does anybody know of this robot voice glitch and anyway to fix it?
>>
I couldn't make it past his first post.

>Discord is too arrogant claiming that Discord is the all-in-one replacement for Skype and TeamSpeak.
Literally everyone claims their product is "the all-in-one replacement," what's the problem with advertising?

>They do a lot of talk about how "secure" they are. Find me one IT security professional on their team, please. In the field of IT security, you cannot just fill in the gap. It does not make sense to put a server administrator or software engineer in the position of securing 1,000,000+ people's information.
I wonder if he actually did a background check on all the members of their team to see if any of them have some background in security. Even if no one does it's a small company and that's to be expected.

>Yet another closed source, proprietary and overall pointless software.
Oh wow, the moron is a freetard, who would have guessed.
>>
>>53413828
What are you doing on /g/?
>>
>>53404709

>collecting data to sell to third parties maybe

HAHAHA, now we finally now that "CougSukker69" is the ally of "L33t_fighter_000".

Good the CIA paid the 1,000,000 bucks.

Because it's not like we already own facebook and google and get bigzillions of data everday..
>>
>>53402922
Is there a /g/ discord?
>>
>>53410838
i guess it doesn't matter how you call it its the same thing
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.