[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>...and remember class, absolutely NO Wikipedia! ANYBODY on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: wikipedia.png (120 KB, 620x618) Image search: [Google]
wikipedia.png
120 KB, 620x618
>...and remember class, absolutely NO Wikipedia! ANYBODY on the Internet can edit information on Wikipedia, so it is important to NEVER get your information from there...NEVER. Use an educational resource for your paper instead.
>>
File: 1369323892000.gif (290 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1369323892000.gif
290 KB, 400x400
>>53401996

>tfw professors have you do weekly Web researches to practice how to get accurate search results and wiki isn't a problem if the sources are legitimate
>>
>>53401996
>write paper with information from wikipedia
>list as sources whatever sources the wilipedia article lists
a surprising number of instructors do not catch this.
>>
No fucking shit. You use Wikipedia as a source aggregator. Follow the sources Wikipedia lists and use those.
>>
>>53402123
i do this too, wikipedia is such an easy way to find good sources (as long as you check the sources0
>>
>>53402123
This.
>>
>>53401996
>class tells you not to use Wikipedia
>teaches you about some locked-off research portal you'll never touch ever again

Fucking hell high school does this.
>>
>>53404923
>muh jstors
>>
>>53404959
I come from a family of humanities professors, with my dad as an English professor. The sheer wankery over MLA (or APA, why do they need their own fucking system) citation I've been hammered with is one of the reasons I've abandoned that family tradition.

Not that a lot of STEM work would be much better, god fucking damn do I hate lab reports.
>>
Its not like wikipedia can tell me specifics in nitrogen isotope analysis of human diet
>>
>>53405040
APA is used more by linguists. MLA is used more by literature "researchers". Why do they need their own system?
>>
>>53402123
There's nothing to catch. You're using sources that aren't wikipedia
>>
>>53401996
You should never cite an encyclopaedia anyway.
>>
Google scholar you idiots
>>
File: 1454997243139.jpg (61 KB, 400x390) Image search: [Google]
1454997243139.jpg
61 KB, 400x390
>>53402123
I had a teacher straight up recommend this to the class.
>>
>>53402162
>tfw sources are $100 books and paywalled journal articles
>>
>>53408101
iktf
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.