[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll give you exactly one minute to post three actual legitimately
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: 1454812765494.jpg (37 KB, 734x734) Image search: [Google]
1454812765494.jpg
37 KB, 734x734
I'll give you exactly one minute to post three actual legitimately good things about mechanical keyboards?
>>
They're the nerd equivalent of ricing your car.

You can spend as much or as little as you want on a quality keyboard, just like with cars.

If you spend all day at your computer for work or leisure, why wouldn't you buy a good keyboard?

I'm sure you spent more on your computer case, yet you never actually look at it.
>>
>>53398715
Not OP, but mechfags must have a reason up their sleeve why mechanical is better. All I know is they're noisier.
>>
>>53398650
1. they feel better to type on
2. I type faster on them
3. they allow me to use less force while typing, thus helping with my RSI
>>
>>53398797
Some people enjoy the feeling of individual switches instead of a mushy rubber contact sheet.

Also, membrane keyboards don't have /g/ cred.
That's pretty much it.
You're free to fall for the mechanical keyboard meme or not, nobody cares.
>>
>>53398650
i'll give you one minute to remove the "legitimately" keyword that essentially allows you to handwave any valuable argument away like a little bitch
>>
Worth mentioning:

Tactile switches:rubber dome::rubber dome:touch-screen keyboard

It's about how the keys respond to key-presses. You'll never have tactile rubber domes.
>>
Why three? One reason is enough if that convinces you.

It feels better to use them.
Of course, they are 10 times as expensive. Are they 10 times better? Nope. They're not even twice as good as a good normal keyboard. But they are better. That's all there is. If you pay much more money, something you use all the time can be better.

DAS keyboard was one of my best purchases. I use it more than my car, my TV or my oven.
>>
If ghosting doesn't drive you insane you probably type slow as shit also it just feels more consistent and the resistance doesn't wear down
>>
>>53398650
1. They're noisy as fuck so I annoy the hell out of everyone
2. Every can see what a cool hacker I am
3. they're expensive so I feel good using it.
>>
>>53399088

Even if they're only 1.1x as good as a normal keyboard, that 10x price is accounted for after 100 uses.

If you don't plan to use the keyboard 100x, then the 10x difference in price isn't worth it.

It's worth noting that something that is used on a regular basis should be valued differently than something that is only used once.

Things like food don't get enough uses to see their value increase over time, but as you use a product, the difference in value between it and another product compounds.
>>
>>53399362
You could just make the bed analogy.
You spend 33% of your time on it, why not splurge for a good one?

Or would you rather sleep on a floor with one of those anime futons because you're so cheap?
>>
>>53399254
>so I feel good
so I feel smug*
>>
>>53399420
Damn, good point.

Thanks for that one, anon. I'll remember it in the future.
>>
File: 1439648511159.jpg (116 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
1439648511159.jpg
116 KB, 469x469
They fell nicer to use.
I make less mistakes when typing on it.
I like the clicky keys.
>>
>>53399484
>I like the clicky keys.

I like you.
>>
>>53399484
subjective
kind of objective
subjective

0/10 for effort
>>
>>53398650
I like them. They make typing enjoyable for me. Not everyone has to like it.
>>
I like both mechanical keyboards and meshy keyboards. At home I like the feel of my mechanical keyboard at my desktop but on the run I love jow light and quick my USB membrane keyboard is.
>>
>>53399420
33% bed
66% keyboard

Yet I spend way more on my bed than I did on my keyboard

whyy?
>>
>>53398650
Fuck you, OP, I'll give you exactly one reason.
This thing is built like a fucking tank, so I could use it as a weapon if someone were to break in.
>>
>>53399559
Are you really asking this?
The bed is much bigger than the keyboard.
>>
File: 1457192502879.jpg (45 KB, 460x400) Image search: [Google]
1457192502879.jpg
45 KB, 460x400
>>53398835
>THE I TYPE FASTER MEME
>THE WEAK MANLET KEYPRESSES MEME
>THE SUBJECTIVE 'FEELS BETTER' MEME

only things missing are:

>IT'S NOT THAT LOUD MEME
>LASTS FOR EONS MEME
>HEAVY AND I CAN USE AS A WEAPON, JUST LIKE THE 4 FOOT KATANA I KEEP UNDER MY BED MEME
>200 DOLLAR RUBBER DOME MEME
>GAMING SWITCH MEME
>KEYCAPS THAT COST AS MUCH AS THE KEYBOARD MEME
>PROFESSIONAL KEYBOARD PHOTOGRAPHER MEME
>50 DOLLAR COSTUME CABLE MEME
>PREMIUM PLASTICS MEME
>RAINBOW LIGHTSHOW MEME

i could keep going but this sufficiently BTFO mech users for the next century.
>>
>>53399625

The fact that calling things a meme has become a meme is satisfyingly meta.

Well meme'd, Anon.
>>
File: k120-gallery[1].png (96 KB, 652x560) Image search: [Google]
k120-gallery[1].png
96 KB, 652x560
TEN
FUCKING
BUCKS

Come on, faggots, this is literally all you need.
>>
>>53399586
They probably aren't better. But I like tenkeyless, how they feel. I guess it's personal preference. You don't need one but they are cool to have ha.
>>
>>53399705
>they are cool to have
They make you look like a complete fucking autist.
>>
>>53398650
I'm a mechanic.
>>
>>53399671
If you haven't noticed, we've been operating on several levels of irony for the past 9 years.

First the term meme was coined and we were all like "don't call it a meme"

then it's been back and forth on what we should feel about memes. /s4s/ is only one level of what memes became.
>>
>>53399677

Yeah! Plug that shit into your raspergers pi and hook that shit into your monitor-- which doesn't have to be of a modern resolution, even! Save money by using an old monitor with an adapter. Why spend money on things just because they perform better? The necessities are all that matter!

After all, our time spent here on this mortal coil is limited, and we'll soon enough join our peers in death. Why get caught up in aesthetic or functional bullshit when you're just gonna die, anyway?

Kidding. You're a dismissive idiot. Try thinking before you post.
>>
>>53399677
nice bait
>>
Mechanical keyboards are pretty fucking sweet.

The actuation point (at what point during the keypress that the input will be sent) is usually close to midway.

So essentially when typing on a keyboard, you are trying not to bottom out, thus causing less fatigue on the fingers as you aren't smashing them into a hard surface.

So it's kind of like you are just moving your fingers through the air. Flowing beautifully through the air.
>>
>>53399735
I have the KUL ES-87 so it looks like a normal keyboard. You literally cant tell the difference unless you start typing on it. It's not even backlit and is just black with normal lettering and no logos.

So suck my chode you angry faggot.
>>
>>53399625
I don't care about your memes. I have actual RSI and mechanical keyboards help my wrist heal. Your opinion is irrelevant to my body.
>>
I don't know, are you?
>>
>>53399900
+1
>>
>>53399900
well meme'd dude.
>>
>>53398650
The feedback and feel of them
The size
The build quality(usually)
>>
>>53399625
Dude chill the fuck out. God.
It's just personal preference, sheesh
Did a mechanical keyboard fuck your mom and burn your house down or something?
>>
>>53399900
This makes me want to invent gel padding to use underneath keycaps...
>>
>>53398650

Better build quality

The fastest typer in the world uses a mechanical keyboard.

Lasts longer like almost everything more expensive.
>>
>>53400088
it's a joke, you're telling me to chill? haha, fag.
>>
>>53400155
Lemme guess, caps lock is just cruise control for cool?

You mad nigga. Super mad.
>>
I just like the way they sound Web you're tapping away on them.
>>
>>53399900
patented
>>
>>53399816
Except every keyboard is pretty much just the bare necessities.
>>
>>53400175
(you)
>>
It sounds cool

I imagine it requires gears, a pulley lever device, or a motor of some sort

German engineering
>>
>>53399900
>thread
>>
>>53399900
I used Cherry Browns for 2-3 years before switching to this IBM Model M, and never learned how to touch type like this. I bottomed out on every keypress and therefore didn't enjoy the switches very much.
Trying to touch type brought me down to 30wpm.
>>
>>53400265
In the same way that every desk is just the bare necessities.
>>
>>53398650
I want a better feedback of when a key is actually pressed.

What's the least meme mechanical keyboard with no LEDs, no gamer WASD keys, full numpad and multimedia keys?
>>
>>53398650
They feel better, if that's something you care about.
Also, full n-key rollover is a nice luxury.
And in my particular case, the cheapest decent tenkeyless keyboard I could find (I always hated the full-size ones, enver use the numpad) was a cheap(ish) mechanical one. So depending on where you live, that's a reason, mechanical boards give you way more tenkeyless options.
>>
> placates autism
> resale value
> memeing edgelords will +1 your posts, and increase your real® social™ value on reddit and misogyny brofist boards
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.