[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pair Programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: pp.jpg (202 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
pp.jpg
202 KB, 480x720
What are your experiences with Pair Programming?

pls share and discuss
>>
>tfw you will never pair program in haskell with your qt3.14 trap bf sitting on your lap
>>
>>53396775
This is not pair programming.
>>
>>53396958
Ok, please tell us what pair programing is.
>>
File: Pair Programming.jpg (211 KB, 728x1041) Image search: [Google]
Pair Programming.jpg
211 KB, 728x1041
I find Pair programming to be useless as long as you're working with competent people.

That said; I would pic related
>>
Absolutely essential for large projects (as long as your partner is competent). I would say there are only three competent undergrad computer science students in our department (including myself).
>>
File: 1456248343142.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1456248343142.png
296 KB, 649x649
>>53396775
Sounds annoying as fuck
>>
>>53397109
>useless when working with competent people
>>53397128
>essential as long as partner is competent

Guys...
>>
>>53397163
If anything, it makes large tasks (especially menial undergrad bullshit) much more enjoyable since you're not just by yourself. It sounds cliche, but talking through problems with my partner (who is the other best student in the department) is incredibly helpful.
>>
This is a real thing?

I don't know shit about programming, but as an english student I don't have someone sitting on my lap reminding me not to use the passive voice.
>>
I accidentally pair programmed with a guy at a conference once. Other than that I dont really like the thought of two morons trying to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>53396794
:(
>>
>>53396775
Terrible idea. There is going to be that one ass hat that picks out every minute nuance because it's not by their book or their formatting preferences.

Your line of thought is going to get interrupted constantly.
>>
>>53397197
>as an english student

>comparing tumblr tier degree with cs/ee/ce/[...]

pls
>>
>>53396775
This is only needed if you are dumb enough to hire women "coders".
>>
>>53397287
Sounds like working as intended.
>>
>>53397305
>tumblr tier

At least I don't need mommy to hold my hand as I type.
>>
it can help a bit with knowledge transfer or when something is fairly complicated, involving a lot of function calls that one in the pair isn't familiar with.

One person might be kneedeep in someone else's shitty code and be stuck thinking in those shitty-coding terms while the other person doesn't have that baggage yet and might help in cleaning up the shit. It can sorta be helpful to have someone else with you in shit, but unless you're drones, you shouldn't need it.

I find commenting on code while writing it helps a lot more - then you can have a coworker read your comments to see if they make enough sense.
>>
>>53396775
my uni requires pair programming for intro classes to lessen the amount of shit to grade. It usually ends up with either one guy doing all of the work or both people having no idea what to do
>>
It's fucking retarded and distracting 90% of the time, I can't concentrate at all when someone is watching me type.
It can be good in prototyping phases where general ideas are more important than doing it right, as long as you get along well with the other guy.
Normal code reviewing (during PRs, for example) is more important and much more efficient, in my opinion.
>>
>>53397305

Whether you're writing a program or writing a novel, it's writing.

It's the same kind of process.
>>
File: 1430977775967.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1430977775967.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>>53397400
>>
>>53397400
No, it's not.
>>
>>53397378
It's ok at my previous company we did lot's of pair programming, it allows to get people up to speed in a codebase they don't know.

other than that it's cool to kickback and watch the other do the work
>>
>>53396794
MUH DICK
>>
I use it extensively if I want to have a certain junior developer gone.
>>
>>53397400
> because it's reading it doesn't matter if you read code or a novel
using this retarded logic
>>
>>53397548
You're the passive aggressive predator type.
Stories?
>>
This kind of shit is why I never want a job

If I could just stay a student for my whole life that would be fine
>>
>>53397998
>i never want to enter the real world because I might have to sit next to someone

wow
end your life
>>
>>53396775
Honestly? Retarded bullcrap that appeals to "management" types that don't actually program.
>>
>>53398037
i kno rite
it's like
i cant even
>>
>>53396775
>manager's wet dream
>>they'll watch each other and work all day
>reality
>>they fuck off and gabber about shit all day and do no work
>>
>>53396775
>To avoid distractions
I'm convinced this is the main reason managers like pair programming. Everyone is watching everyone else, so nobody is willing to relax on the job, even for just brief periods, so what they see is 100% of their workers staring at screens of code 100% of the time. Maximum efficiency (lel).
Pair programming is just a shit concept in general. Almost always, one is less competent than the other. If you're the less competent one, you just constantly feel lost and like you're not contributing anything (because really, you're not). If you're the most competent one, you feel like you're just being slowed down having to explain what you're doing every step of the way, and like you're doing all the work. The only time it works is when both are at exactly the same skill level, but at that point it's better to just split the tasks then maybe have each review the other's code at the end.
>>
>>53398431
You can't stand the idea of someone judging you as you type?
>>
This shit only happens at dead end CRUD "developer" jobs that shit out API boilerplate and glue code for 20,000 different libraries.
>>
>>53398567
I'm not opposed to the idea in the abstract, or in certain situations like onboarding someone onto a project in progress, but thinking about it personally I would not function well. I can't do anything creative, from coding to writing an email, if someone is looking over my shoulder.

Also this : >>53398564
>>
>>53398628
Stop being so shy.
It's not befitting of a man to be performance shy.
>>
>>53398649
Can't help it.
Also take 50% longer to pee at a urinal if someone's next to me with no partition.

But then, coding and peeing are not my job.
>>
>>53396775
My only instance of pair programming has been in a teacher/student relationship.

And I think in practice, that's usually what it would be best suited for. A less experienced programmer does the programming, and a more experienced programmer observes him.
>>
>>53398689
Stop it.
You're making me want to bully you.
>>
>>53397548
Did you get him fired? Do you stroke your massive cock thinking about it every night?
>>
>>53396775
Retarded and inefficient. It means you have no specification or requirements. I've come to hate agile methods. I prefer the V-model on a sane architecture and with requirements in place.
>>
The only time I've seen it work is with young girls programming for the first time in Scratch. With their combined guess work and perspective, they were able to complete tasks.
For me, I am constantly testing my own code, thinking about strategies and future goals and solving problems in the back of my head, and taking notes. I never stop typing at a constant pace. I can do this for 6-12 hours. Having someone else there is like driving a nail into my fingers and hitting me on the head with a brick.
>>
>>53397287
Exactly. Someone will fix your shitty code before it becomes a problem.
>>
>>53397287
what kind of environment are you in where you're forced to do pair programming but you don't even have a programming styleguide?
>>
can work if working with a peer to help through a road block. Otherwise just lazy co-workers wanting to be spoon fed
>>
/r/ing the interview of somebody who pair programmed with Stallman
>>
Noone is gonna pay two niggers doing one job.
>>
>>53399234
They will if you only have to pay them half as much.
Pair programming is literally pajeet tier.
>>
In my first year at uni we did some pair programming. I got partnered with a qt azn emacs user while I was a vim user. Project was required to be in java and I was a bit shaky on java so I let her take the reins and sucked it up and dealt with not being too familiar with emacs or java whenever we switched and just turned on whatever the vim-like mode was and wrote a mix of C and what little java I knew that we then translated to java where necessary. Project went well.
In a different class I saw her taking notes on her laptop (a thinkpad X200t running some linux distro with elementary's DE iirc) in latex. I think she was a transfer student so she had way less coursework and probably graduated way before me because I haven't seen her in a few years. I regret not getting to know her better despite her poor choice of editor.
>>
>>53399389
>two pajeets pooing in one loo
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.