[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do non bleeding edge distros update themselves?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4
File: Ubuntu.png (13 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Ubuntu.png
13 KB, 256x256
I've used arch since always but now I'm planning on installing ubuntu (mainly because I'm feeling lazy and I feel like learning how to use apt would be nice).
Do you have to make a fresh install every time a new version of ubuntu rolls out? Or is there some sort of feature in the package manager to do it for you?

Also is there a way to upgrade software to the latest version? Just downloading .debs from the software's web and feeding those to the package manager? How do you tipically upgrade software that's important to have at it's freshest version in non bleeding edge distros?

I'd install debian but it's documentation isn't nearly as good as arch's or ubuntu's. Feel free to persuade me though.

>pic related, it's Ubuntu (?
>>
>>53395565
>uses arch
>can't into basic package management

you're a fucking moron
>>
>>53395612
What?
When did I say that?

You have to be older than 18 to browse 4chan, did you know that?
>>
>>53395646
OP is babby's first question

>>>/sqt/
>>>/flt/

lrn2apt-pinning
lrn2dist-upgrade
>>
File: 1449545202309.png (797 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1449545202309.png
797 KB, 640x1136
>>53395663
>babby's first question

That doesn't even make any sense

>lrn2apt-pinning
>lrn2dist-upgrade

As I said I don't know how non rolling release distros work.

What? was I supposed to read a book on that?
>>
>>53395708
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

You have easy-to-read, beautifully formatted tutorials available from your distribution but you chose to create a thread on /g/ instead?
>>
>>53395752

How was I supposed to infere that behavior would be explained aptget's page or what the fuck pinning means in the context of Ubuntu's package management beforehand? Let alone search for such specific terms?

Are you this dense?
>>
>>53395820
YA HE'S DENSE LOL
>>
>>53395820
You're going to have a hard time using linux if your search skills suck

How do you find these terms?

"wiki ubuntu package management" leads yout o https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

At the bottom of that page, "See Also:" leads you to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto

Documentation is a good thing to read
>>
>>53395889
>hey guys, I told a person on the internet he's dumb because he doesn't know what I think makes me a part of this sikret club, accept me please!

>>53395896

And how would I know rolling-release-ness was a property of package management?

The worst part is you two are most likely illiterates who don't even know how a dynamic library is loaded or what the kernel does but have all the buzzwords to engage in distro wars. Pathetic.
>>
>>53395993
>sikret club
>using apt

If you think reading documentation is hard and/or exclusive then you should just kill yourself
>>
>>53395565
Well OP im not sure either because when I asked all I got was similar to this thread aka a bunch of autistic sperg "HURR DURR BABBY NUB" etc.

From what I can tell none of them auto update by default. Its been a while since I used ubuntu or mint though im on debian and it will notify of updates but ill have to manually click to install them.

As for new versions like debian 7 to 8 it wont update itself. You need to use some kind of upgrade command in the terminal to upgrade to the latest release, it can be done though and I gather its pretty easy to do.
>>
>>53396085
>auto update by default

>what is a cron job or systemd unit file
>what is sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
>>
>>53396082

I read a lot more documentation than you ever have and that has nothing to do with the question at hand.
non-rolling release is the standard and as such googling how non-rolling release works is harder because it is thought to be common knowledge.
You are not smarter than anyone. Get back at me when you stop wasting your day fighting in stupid distro wars.

>>53396085
>Well OP im not sure either because when I asked all I got was similar to this thread aka a bunch of autistic sperg "HURR DURR BABBY NUB" etc.

Basically non-arch linux users are cancerous it seems.

>>53396144

Can you have lower self-esteem?
Also constant green texting and "what is xxx" don't make you look smart anon.
Grow up.
>>
>>53396203
Fuck off and quit shitting up this board

This dumb fucking shit belongs in /flt/ or /sqt/

The fact that you thought this was a worthwhile topic demonstrates how much of a fucking cocksucking moron you are
>>
apt-get install package-name
congratulations, you now know how to use apt.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>53396203
>Basically non-arch linux users are cancerous it seems.
>>
Well OP. if you have it installed it will update. You can also add PPA's on Ubuntu. or check for updates through.debs as well.

bleeding edge = less stable imo. but whatever.you can upgrade your own kernels on ubuntubtw with.deb. it's not like you are forced to use their own updates
>>
>>53396235

Go learn something worthwhile instead of hoarding tools for distro wars anon.
You aren't smarter than anyone for knowing how updates are handled in non-rolling release distros.

>>53396257

So this is neo /g/...

I obviously know how to do basic package management.

I think the problem might be you guys don't even know how a rolling release distro works.

>>53396278

But that seems to be it. I guess all the grudge and inferiority complex they feel towards arch is what makes them act stupidly like this.
Also the fact that they're probably 16 year olds.

>>53396304

I haven't installed it yet.
>>
>>53396335
You're adorable
>>
>>53396526
> fucking cocksucking moron
>>
>>53396335
>>>/leddit/
>>
>>53396335
>I think the problem might be you guys don't even know how a rolling release distro works

I don't think that's the problem here bub
>>
>>53396203
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

here's the "documentation" that you're so high and mighty about. If you had taken the time to actually learn how a linux system works instead of sitting around going "hurr durr, I'm an Arch linux user, all of the rest of you faggots should kiss my ass" you wouldn't be in the situation of throwing a tantrum like a little five year old because you don't understand how one of the most basic functions of a differing package manager works because you didn't give enough of a shit to actually Read The Fucking Manual. Instead you come in here throwing around big boy words like "non-rolling release distro" expecting us to take you seriously and then ask a stupid ass question that any ten year-old with half a brain cell who knows how to use google can figure out pretty quickly. Package management is one of the most basic things to know of in how a linux system works and yet your "superior" system keeps you so coddled in your own little world that once you decide to leave it you suddenly realize you're actually completely crippled because, surprise, surprise IT ACTUALLY HANDLES PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING FOR YOU! If the apt package management system actually leaves you this confused then I'm sorry, but you're officially too retarded to be in the linux community and the only documentation you need is "Here's how to install Windows 10 botnet edition on your computer" If you need me to google that for you as well I can certainly do that as well.
>>
>>53395993
>And how would I know rolling-release-ness was a property of package management?
>And how would I know rolling-release-ness was a property of package management?
>>
>>53396085
>>53395565
samefagging

No two people with the same retardedly stupid question magically find each other on 4chan
>>
Also http://www.cyberciti.biz/howto/question/linux/dpkg-cheat-sheet.php
>>
>>53396951

The thing is it was a totally valid question and I had no way to know that apt was the deciding factor first hand. For all I know there could have been distros using apt that were rolling release.

I also do know a lot more about computers than you do or ever will.

>>53397017

See my other response.

You just answer like this because you are too insecure and want to feel accepted.

And by your responses you two are just two more of the inferiority complex crippled non arch users on this board.
The ones spouting the "xorg broke" and "timesink os" memes.
Seriously, fucking grow up already.
>>
>>53397313
>inferiority complex crippled non arch users

kill yourself
>>
>>53395820
YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT TARD!
>>
>>53397313
>For all I know there could have been distros using apt that were rolling release

>what is sid

The fact that you don't understand how package management, repos, or distributions work and then berate other 'non-arch' users when they call you out on it is the saddest thing I've seen on 4chan in 72 hours
>>
>>53397388
Then I obviously had it right all along and I couldn't have easily found it myself without skimming through insufferable amounts of questions on ubuntu's forums.

>>53397376

The possibility of you being smarter than me given that I've always been an outstanding student is almost null anon.

>>53397388

I only spoke of how immature these non-arch users are. Never talked bad about them (though probably such arrogance is just the result of ignorance, but I don't care about such things, we all have to learn sometime).
The problem is that childish mindset is a bad mindset to engage in quality discussion and thus you are making this board a worse place.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>53397487
>The problem is that childish mindset is a bad mindset to engage in quality discussion and thus you are making this board a worse place.

Why are you installing ubuntu? Shouldn't you be installing fedora?
>>
>>53397313
>I also do know a lot more about computers than you do or ever will
Oh man, you sure showed us.
>>
>>53397510

Being aggressive is good for the board. Also aggressive people are cooler.

>>53397563

Knowing how a non-rolling release distribution works is "linux culture" and is in no way related to computer knowledge.
The problem is that that sort of vapid knowledge is all you have to feel like you know anything about your system.
Yours is one sad reality, anon.
>>
>>53397602
>Being aggressive is good for the board. Also aggressive people are cooler.

Meant to greentext that one.
>>
See OP. this is why the linux community sucks. It is all you hear.
>>
>>53397602
>knowing how a major component of an OS works has nothing to do with the OS or computers
It's like you're not even trying, senpai
>>
>>53397602
>apt-pinning my compiler versions is linux culture
>>
>>53397619
4chan's been pretty bad lately.

>>53397651
Even you know what you just said is really dumb.

>>53397678
You do know not all distributions use apt, do you?
>>
>>53397695
>You do know not all distributions use apt, do you?

ya got me OP. TIL.
>>
>>53397745
Also why would I need to know how a foreign switch for a foreign package manager in a foreign distribution with a foreign release model worked?
Even the problem is foreign to me.

You are just being dumb.
>>
>>53397695
I find it hard to believe that anyone can be this blind and arrogant at the same time.
>>
>>53397695
0/8
>>
>>53397783
If it doesn't matter to you then why the fuck did you make this thread in the first place?
>>
>>53397783
>Also why would I need to know how a foreign switch for a foreign package manager in a foreign distribution with a foreign release model worked?

I don't know OP. You're the one that made this thread. Or did you forget that already?
>>
>>53395565
Yes.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade
>>
>>53397799

Oh, I forgot all I've seen on my "GNU/Linux release model" in college. Sorry, you are right, it is highly important knowledge to the computer scientist.

>>53397827
>>53397845
Haven't even installed the distribution as I said in the OP.
The thing is before that there was no reason t o get in touch with that knowled but now I need it but was finding it hard to find on google.

>>53397852
Thanks.
>>
>>53396335
Ubuntu might give you a popup saying there's a system update available like how it dose when there are normal updates ready for install. They release a new distro every 6 months so it shouldn't be too hard to use some terminal kung-fu do to a dist-upgrade
>>
>>53397918
>Oh, I forgot all I've seen on my "GNU/Linux release model" in college.

But I thought you knew more about computers than all of us would ever know, OP :^)
>>
>sudo do-release-upgrade

Literally a google search away OP.
>>
>>53397975
the post was sarcastic. there is no such class in college.
>>
>>53397991
but with Ubuntu having all these versions and repositories for each one it gets kind of more complex doesn't it?
>>
>>53398013
Well you sure fooled me, dumbass
>>
>>53398049
the repositories are all defined in your /etc/apt/sources.list

I don't quite understand your logic here
>>
>>53398073
well your post was pretty senseless
>>
>>53398109
si you get updates simultaneously for all your software every couple of months?
>>
>>53398155
To someone like you, I don't doubt it.
>>
>>53398155
No, the updates happen over the lifetime of the release. Once the next version goes live, then generally only security patches and big bugs are backported. For instance, 16.04 LTS will be supported with updates through April 2021. 14.04 LTS (which was released in 2014) will still get updates through 2019

I think your whole understanding of this topic is misguided or something.
>>
>>53398226
it probably is. that's why I asked.
so it's basically rolling release but after a couple of months you have to move to the next release to get more updates?
>>
>>53398280
No. It will get updates until it reaches end-of-life. Non-essential programs will be updated until the next release. Security issues and other backports will be added to the repos for over 5 years for an LTS release (end-of-life).
>>
>>53398351
OK understood.
isn't it like higher maintenance than arch then, though?
>>
>>53398405
>Ubuntu
>higher maintenance than arch
my sides left orbit
>>
>>53398405
Not even close. The benefit of non rolling release is that as a distro ages it becomes more stable as all of the existing bugs are squished since new ones are not being introduced. That doesn't mean that the packages aren't being updated. They ARE being updated, but primarily to fix bugs and security problems. If anything this indicates that more work is being done by the repo maintainers and less work is required of the end-user.
>>
>>53398558
well don't you have a big update every couple of months? there's no such thing in arch.
>>
>>53398621
You can run a big update for the new major releases, if you want. It will just download the new release and replace your existing packages on the next boot up. Often times there is an associated update script that will resolve any issues that may arise when going between releaes. For example lts 14.04 uses upstart, whereas newer releases use systemd. Therefore there needs to be some way to convert upstart services to systemd. Since it's such a fundamental change, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing such an upgrade on a mission critical machine. However, the same thing would have to happen if you were switching from init to systemd on Arch. You just wouldn't have the option of staying on init and updating all of the other packages around it reliably. You need to know your system and the level of risk you are willing to take

or you can just stay on the current release and get security updates for 5 years
>>
>>53398806
Thanks a lot, this clears my doubts.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.