[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best GNU/Linux operating system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Tux.png (12 KB, 265x314) Image search: [Google]
Tux.png
12 KB, 265x314
Hello /g/, tell me about why you think your OS is the best one, gimme the prons and cons. Let's discuss this shit!
>>
Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>53394633
Why do you think so?
>>
I'm using Ubuntu mate it's working great
>>
I really like Arch, mainly because you have the option to customize it from the very beginning.
>>
>>53394607
I installed Xubuntu and added i3wm afterward.
Ubuntu because nice OS to start using linux, easy to instsall
[X]ubuntu because fuck Unity and I wanted a lightweight DE
i3wm because I really like it when I'm developing something
>>
>>53394642
Because there's no point to Unity. The fact that a direct and simple menu is turned into a dash is unintuitive and aesthetically repulsive. It stutters on older hardware (old hardware is a good thing). The entire thing is also bugged.

Ubuntu MATE returns to the old layout that has been used with all other distros, such as Fedora/Red Hat, Debian, etc.

As for Ubuntu/Debian, I just like apt-get and the layout of some things in the file system.

For me, some distros are good except for most derivatives (Ubuntu being a good one in my opinion). I just prefer this one as it was my first and I found no reason to switch.
>>
>>53394607
The one I'm using™ of course
>>
So what do you guys think about Gentoo? I'm literally trying to get something now and i wonder what should i get.
>>
>>53394793
Meme distro with great community.
Very specific user-case and use case
>>
>>53394802
What would you recommend then. I mostly just want to do basic usage and some programming and administrating some servers.
>>
>>53394817
*buntus, Fedora, opensuse
>>
>>53394817
I would go with debian+xfce or debian+i3wm
>>
>>53394827
How can i install pure Debian with i3wm only? Like i don't want the bullshit that comes from Gnome or something.
>>
>>53394839
In the installer you uncheck all the DE, you get a console only install with no bloat, you'll need to install some useful things by hand tho
>>
>>53394839
Best way to do that is to use expert install under the advanced options
>>
>>53394607
>>
You can make any distro the best for you. Do not listen to all these Arch fan boys, you can get a minimal iso for pretty much any flavor (ubuntu, debian, fedora, etc.) and add what you want to it.
>>
>>53394607
the one I'm using™.
>>
>>53394817
maybe Antergos or Architect if you want to go arch.
>>
>>53394607
There is no best GNU/Linux distro. There are different distros.

You choose according to your needs and wishes.

If you want to learn, try Slackware or a bare bones Debian or Gentoo.

If you want a functional all-around system, Ubuntu. (Or flavor.) Or OpenSUSE.

If you want something where most stuff should work out of the box including proprietary codecs, then Mint or Korora could be a starter. (Of course you can install that stuff on other distros too.)

On older hardware, Lubuntu or LXLE would give you a nice rounded system.

Thinking there is a best is like thinking there's the best ice cream flavor, the best album, the best book, the best artist, the best composer. The best doesn't exist. Anyone who tells you such and such is the best is actually just informing you of their preference but they are too arrogant or stupid to understand their preference is based on their limited experience and understanding alone.

I would recommend a beginner to just start with one of the big distros and use it regularly for a while (months). If they have a spare old machine, they could also throw something minimal on it and play around with it without stress.
>>
>>53397081
Oh, and if you want to go full FLOSS, there's Trisquel. Others too, see FSF recommendations.
>>
Arch is the best and everyone knows it.
>>
Try Mageia and report back after you've used it for a while.

Other than that, decide what you want and need first.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.