[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend and I looking for a less bloated voice chat program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: No-Skype.png (318 KB, 1578x1600) Image search: [Google]
No-Skype.png
318 KB, 1578x1600
My friend and I looking for a less bloated voice chat program because Skype is a piece of shit and takes up way too much CPU usage, and my friend frequently cuts out because his laptop is old as shit. What are some good light-weight bare bones voice chat programs? We literally only need it to do voice calls and nothing else.

Yes I've tried googling but everything seems to assume we want video chat and all kinds of other unnecessary bullshit. Your help would be much appreciated /g/
>>
Tox - Very secure, /g/ approved

TS3/Mumble - Really fucking great if you host/have a friend who has a server/buy a server
>>
>>53390678
this
or try
https://ring.cx/
>>
i don't know how resource intensive it is, but Google hangouts in a browser might work for you
>>
>>53390678
I second Tox. It works surprisingly well for being a /g/ project.
>>
Discord is pretty good, but probably not /g/ approved
>>
>>53390616
Team speak yah cunt.
>>
>>53390616
mumble
or
jitsi
>>
>>53390977

>sells your data
>behaves like malware
>tons of background services and processes
>you can revoke its privilege to automatically start up but it does anyways
>did I mention they monitor your activity and sell your data? Read the fucking agreement license

Its not good. At all.

>inb4 muh free servers
>>
>>53391065
Does Skype do this also? Or does Microsoft not give a shit who you talk to

Tempted to use it on mobile
>>
>>53390616
Discord, Mumble, TeamSpeak, Ventrillo...
>>
>>53391084
are u serial, mane?
>>
>>53391084

First of all, Skype on mobile doesn't work. Its actually shittier than the desktop version.

Secondly, of course Microsoft tracks the shit out of you. Have you seen the list of shit Skype and Windows 10 connect to via Microsoft without your permission?

>connects to 5 different time servers
Yea sure, those are TOTALLY all for time, because you need 5 different servers to check the fucking time, not just 1.

Also,
>ads
>>
>>53391099
>Discord

>an entire fucking browser running in multiple processes
>lightweight
>>
>>53391118
>3 processes
>less CPU than skype
>less memory usage than skype
how is it not lightweight?
>>
>>53390977
discord is shit
>>
>>53391212

Ok, you're right, its not as intensive as SKYPE.

That still doesn't make it lightweight moron.
>>
>>53391065
Dude, a company that would actually wants your data don't gives two flying fucks about damn user agreements.

They just take it, it doesn't matter.

None a dis matters
>>
>>53391238
Still makes it a lightweight alternative.

Get mad.
>>
>>53391282

You're right, they do just take it. Thanks for pointing out to OP that Discord and Skype are actual shit.
>>
>>53391289

But not near as lightweight as Tox/TS3/Ring.

So it's not really relevant as it provides no other advantages.
>>
>>53391238
>SKYPE
>moron

Please don't reply to replies to my post if you intend to sound like a 12 year old faggot.

>>53391212
I'm getting 80MB total memory usage from Discord and 75MB from Skype.
Both of them are at around 1-2% cpu usage while encoding voice.
The "hurr durr ur fps is low becuz ur using skayp" advertising is bullshit.
It's as "lightweight" as Skype at best.

Compare that to the 10MB Mumble is using while generally not even managing to hit 1% in the cpu usage column.

All of these performance comparisons are pointless when comparing voip applications. The performance impact is negligible anyway. Voip is all lightweight when you compare it to anything else that's running on your system.
>>
>>53390977
I agree. It's good software, complete with incoming Linux client, but it's proprietary.
>>
LINE is better and has higher quality voice and video
>>
>>53390616
Install Skype version 6, disable updates
>>
>>53390616
jitsi?
>>
>>53390616
Slack.
>>
>>53390616
Discord
>>
>tfw your phone line uses 52kbps just being a phone
>>
>>53391550
Skype boats with message history and contacts over time, mine is sitting at around 350+ MB on idle at startup and it gets worse the longer I leave it running.

Currently in a group call of four other people and joined to seven "servers"/rooms and it's its three processes are using 15MB, 8MB and 36MB, with only one using CPU time.

I'd rather actually NOT have to switch away from Skype, but that's the world all current skype users are finding themselves in, not our goddamned fault.
>>
>>53392647
>Currently in a group call of four other people and joined to seven "servers"/rooms and it's its three processes are using 15MB, 8MB and 36MB, with only one using CPU time.
this part is Discord, BTW.
>>
>>53390616
Are there any /g/ approved alternatives that have sound quality comparable to Skype? I personally don't give a shit but my other friends are really whiney about this.
>>
>>53390616
discord
>>
>>53391104
Please do not begin discorse with "first of all", it triggers me to kick and lash out when exposed to this phrase.
>>
>>53390977
Unable to host your own servers by design. Shit/10.
>>
Discord
>>
>>53393996
>>
>>53391550

>SKYPE

>please don't reply to replies to my post if you intend to sound like a 12 year old faggot

I guess you're right, only 12 year old faggots use Skype.

>>53394127

Trigger Warning
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.