[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does the actual Linux Kernel look like if you could see
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: kernel.png (23 KB, 668x331) Image search: [Google]
kernel.png
23 KB, 668x331
What does the actual Linux Kernel look like if you could see it?

Like this?
>>
>>53390091
it's on github.
>>
https://github.com/torvalds/linux
>>
>>53390091
Either;
1. an encyclopedia's worth of source code in mostly C and some C++.
2. An enormous list of octets.
>>
>>53390145
>some C++.
there's more python in the linux kernel than C++ you know
about 10 times as much perl, by lines
>>
>>53390101
>>53390138
This. Or poke around in /proc/ if you want to see stuff the kernel is doing without having to look at source code.
>>
>>53391359
But I don't to look at it through a text editor

I want to SEE the kernel in action
>>
>>53391430
>I want to SEE the kernel in action

if you're using a desktop, open up the sidepanel while the machine is running. That's the closest you'll come to actually "looking" at a piece of software being run.
>>
>>53390184
Watcha talking about nigger ? The kernel is mostly C code
>>
>>53391504
Notice he never said anything about any of those languages being what the majority of Linux is written in.
>>
>>53391430

Read the output of strace.
>>
>>53391504
Are you one of those people who doesn't know the difference between C and C++?
>>
>>53391999
I know the difference, it's just that I can't read
>>
>>53390091
I do kernel stuff for work and have no idea what this thread is about.

If you want to debug a kernel live, you can use ftrace or crash.

If you want to see userspace interact with the kernel you can use strace.

SystemTap and gdb will do either of those things.

There are other debuggers but these are what I use.
>>
>>53390184
why would you lie on the internet?
>>
>>53390184
>>
>>53392135
>>53392142
The kernel ships with a lot of supporting tools and scripts, but these don't get included when you actually compile.

For example, look at checkpatch.pl, that comes with the git tree but you wouldn't say "part of the kernel is written in Perl".

All of the code which compiles to the vmlinux binary is C or platform-specific assembly.
>>
>>53392187
I know, I imagine it would be real fucking retarded to include a python runtime in the kernel just to execute some stuff.

But thats not what I commented about, anon said the kernel source contains more python and perl than it contains c++.
>>
File: Linux_kernel_map.png (333 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Linux_kernel_map.png
333 KB, 1024x768
>>53390091
I still have no idea what OP was actually after.

Do you want to understand how different parts of the kernel interact? There is this map (pic related) which is alright.

Some people like Linus and Greg KH probably have a good overview knowledge of all areas. Others will specialize more in their subsystem so they'll know a vertical column well but not much outside of that.

Some parts you just have to know to work on any kernel stuff. For example, how tasks run, how memory is allocated, hashes, linked lists, bitwise functions, system calls, the various locking types, etc.
>>
>>53392187
checkpatch.pl happens to be an awful, awful piece of shit.
>>
>>53392197
Not Python, but there are various bytecode runtimes in the kernel. BPF is the most commonly used and extended: https://lwn.net/Articles/599755/
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.