[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>RAMdisks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: marvin-gaye-01.jpg (575 KB, 2400x1649) Image search: [Google]
marvin-gaye-01.jpg
575 KB, 2400x1649
>RAMdisks
>>
Is that Ben Carson?
>>
>>53388087
What's wrong with a ramdisk?

What is a ramdisk? I know what it is kind of but what do you store in volatile memory that you would store on a harddrive? How do you determine what is stored? Do you just store files that you would want fast access to on it throughout a session or do you script your computer to do so on boot? Or is there some sort of software layer that automatically handles it and keeps the state of the drive between boots?
>>
tmpfs is good, I have it set up for my downloads folder. And I also use it @ /tmp when I'm compiling stuff.
Not sure why OP doesn't like them, he is probably a massive faggot.
>>
Ramdisk of any kind are the responsible of more BSOD on modern computers than Windows95 was at his time.
>>
>>53388238
Are you actually retarded. The system crashes if your RAM and swap space is full and the OS tries to use that space. You set a limit on your tmpfs so that you can never get to that point.

But you probably use windows so this is beyond you.
>>
>>53388210
Many thanks, the wikipedia article on tmpfs answered literally all of my >>53388159 questions. Very cool stuff, I might try to use up some of my extra RAM with something like this.
>>
File: fuuuuuuuck.gif (528 KB, 360x359) Image search: [Google]
fuuuuuuuck.gif
528 KB, 360x359
>make RAM disk
>move all of Chrome into the RAM disk
>symlink to the original spots
>mfw
>>
I put tmpfs on RAM usually (not when using Qubes as I need all my RAM more often)

I think Red Hat based distros do this by default now maybe?
>>
>>53388329
tmpfs mounted at /tmp, for clarification

Maybe it was Arch that did this not RHEL also
>>
File: Samsung950ProCar_678x452.jpg (55 KB, 678x410) Image search: [Google]
Samsung950ProCar_678x452.jpg
55 KB, 678x410
Not too long ago I would have called OP a faggot, but with NVMe storage making it's way to the consumers and Jewtel rolling out 3DXpoint this year, RAMdisk is really becoming a thing of the past.
Sure it's still insanely fast, but I don't really see the benefit of making a relatively small RAMdisk for extra speed, when pic related is available and doesn't actually cost an arm and a leg.
>>
>>53388303
Do it. tmpfs is really awesome. The limit you set is just that a limit. If you set it to 8GB it doesn't mean that 8GB of your RAM is constantly in use. Its totally free to the system and the only space that gets taken up is the size of the files you put on it.
>>53388341
/tmp Is your RAM by default.
I'm not sure if it was always that way but on systemd distros that is the case.
>>
>>53388385
You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Get back to me when SSD speeds are 18GB/s+
The point isn't to store massive files its to be used for temporary stuff like when you are compiling or whatever. And then you aren't wasting needless writes to your drives.
>>
>>53388411
>only space taken up
Wow, very cool.
>systemd distros
How have I not heard of this? Loving it
>>
>>53388411
>systemd defaults
Perhaps that's right (I trust you as I'm speculating in my own head about distros for some reason)
>>
>>53388451
Why does compilation take so fucking long? Is it just the added steps of translating that takes up all that time? (Vs a binary)
>>
>>53388729
Depends on what you are compiling and your processor/storage speed. I don't really know the specifics either but there are ways to optimize the time it takes.
The best way is to have this set in you build options:
 -j$(nproc) 

That makes sure it uses all your cpu cores/threads instead of just doing it on one. That will probably be the greatest speedup but you can also move your compile directory to RAM and also make sure you aren't compiling in stuff you don't need.
>>
File: wb_132.gif (11 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
wb_132.gif
11 KB, 640x400
RAM: devices, yeah mon. It's good shit when you only got one internal floppy drive.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.