[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is computer science shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: 1440959045667.jpg (38 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
1440959045667.jpg
38 KB, 694x801
I'm thinking of studying CS next year, but I keep seeing people saying it's shit. Why is that? Is there something else that's better to study?
>>
>>53384690
>studying CS
Have fun wasting money to learn a job most of us picked up in our spare time before graduating highschool
>>
>>53384690
I was a CS major. It's fine. I have a bunch of money. But I'm bored. I wish I had done electrical engineering. You should do electrical engineering.
>>
>>53384744
I may even go back to school to get an MS in electrical eng soon. Don't know yet. Waiting to hear back from my advisors.
>>
>>53384744
Yeah, that's another I was thinking about. Why do you wish you had studied EE?
>>
>>53384771
EE students seem to grasp the underlying concepts behind everything. An interview question I often ask to bay area candidates is: "So you go to your browser, you type in an address, you press enter, what happens next...?"

CS majors often reply with some entry level understanding. "You hit the backend, and then you query the db for the data you want to load on the page." That kind of stuff. Sometimes they'll mention cache. an EE major will often go into the details of unix level network calls, they'll get really excited to show off their knowledge. They may talk about apache or nginx. pre-fork request handling vs single threaded event loops or something like that.

I think the CS majors probably have some of that knowledge banging around in their heads somewhere, but their recall and access to it is always much more limited.

To be honest, they both perform about the same on the first try when you give them a project, but the EE is generally more open to talking about changes they could make, and is much more willing/able to defend their choices.

I think all in all, they are just much more interested in getting better, and learning how things work. Also EE puts you through the ringer. You'll be smart if you get through that.
>>
>>53384771
I would really go with EE. It'll be really hard, and if you aren't that smart you may fail a couple courses at some point. But it's really worth it. You can pick up ruby or python in your spare time if you need an internship or want a web dev job.
>>
>>53384857
Huh, interesting. Could be because different kinds of people study them?

Is an EE student as suitable for software engineering jobs? What kind of jobs are EE students more suitable for than CS students?
>>
>>53384929

> Is an EE student as suitable for software engineering jobs? What kind of jobs are EE students more suitable for than CS student

I don't know. But you'll find out when you get to uni that getting jobs has little to do with your major. we hired a phil student that's just an incredibly good programmer. We don't hire software engineering majors all the time because they are shit.
>>
fucking hel, I'm about to get my degree in CE, what the fuck do I do with it
>>
>>53384975
during university I built rockets with my comp-eng friends. it was fun.
>>
>>53384690
They jelly. Study CS, next.
>>
>>53385138
Why is that? So the "CS is a waste of time" posts are just memes?
>>
>>53384737
>CS is just programming
I want this USA CS school meme to die pls
>>
I'm 26 and basically self taught myself into a sys admin role but now I'm bored as shit. I'm considering going back to school for EE. Am I too old now though? I wouldn't even be able to start until next year.

Money isn't a concern and I don't really care about having some 30 year career.
>>
>>53385161
I see a lot of that talk coming from old geezers in tech who never adapt and keep getting laid off from jobs.

The h1b visa shit is definitely getting out of hand, but the jobs being taken by them are usually desk-monkey shit. If you keep finding yourself being outsourced, it's because you're not doing anything creative/intelligent enough to make you a superior choice to pooinloos.
>>
>>53384959
Doesn't a degree have quite of bit of importance when applying for jobs? When employers look though the applicants they must value different degrees more than others, no?

I mean, how can you tell if someone is a great programmer just from the application?
>>
>>53385255
It only has importance to HR drones who run checklists, rather than knowing what to look for.
>>
>>53384690
>Why is that

Because you don't learn shit.
>>
>>53385525
Where do you learn stuff then? Surely you must learn something in 4 years?
>>
>>53385178
>cs theory is impossible to learn
I want this cs theory is hard meme to die plz
>>
>>53385560
In any other college major
>>
CS majors have the highest rate of unemployment of any college graduates
>>
>>53385595
So if I wanna write software and work with computers, what major should I take?
>>
>>53384690
>Falling for /g/ memes
/g/ is full of fat useless NEETS who can only make it into community college and are shocked to find out that the curriculum is shit.
>>
get certs first and use those to get some basic it help desk jobs. go from there. a straight up cs is worthless without some practical hands on and a cert program is way cheeper
>>
>>53385693
Certs are for IT monkeys who want to be replaced by Pajeet in 2 years.
>>
>>53385707
Degrees are for code monkeys who want to be replaced by Pajeet in 2 years.
>>
>>53385746
I'm working for Google for 170k a year. I'll have enough to retire on after 2 years.
>>
>>53385766
ok kid
>>
>>53384690
Math + business
If you take it seriously and do an internship this lets you get a job at a Fortune 500 when you graduate and also buy some time before you figure out what you really want to do. If you take an OOP/data structures class and do the engineering math sequence + real analysis and probability you'll be able to talk your way into all sorts of interesting specializations after a few years earning.

The job may well be boring so you can bail out and go to grad school for a year or two...or stay at the company and get them to pay for it. All the while you're in a city where serendipity may strike.
>>
What about 2 year technology administration programs? My local community college has a supposedly good Associate's of Applied Science program that teaches admining Windows and Linux servers, it's basically an IT course from what I can tell. I could pair it with A+ or what have you.

But from what I've gleaned from research, there's no job security at all and Pajeet will be hired to take your place in roughly 5 years from starting. Also that you can't get entry level without experience.

There doesn't seem to be a single good subject to major in, they're apparently all shit besides pure mathematics, finance, or engineering. I'm not down for buttfucking tons of hard math. Seems like no matter what I pursue, I'm wasting my time.
>>
>>53385606
>>
>>53384771
Also consider Computer Engineering, depending on the college. I've heard some schools don't have great programs. But at mine, you take the basic classes for both CS and EE, and can choose to specialize later on. Perfect fit for me at least
>>
>>53385766
w0wzers
>>
It's shit, but it's platinum special edition shit compared to a lot of degrees.

if you're lazy but competent it's a pretty great degree to have, I do a job right now that's easier then when I was making minimum wage but now instead of student debt I have a mortgage. Try and find a workplace full of old tried boomers, they're so easy to appear competent in comparison to.

Unless you want to be the best you can be. a CS degree is the degree of the clever and lazy, not the future CEO.
>>
>>53385832
Yeah, I feel the same way but I think the Pajeet meme is just that, a meme. I don't think the kind of jobs you go for after a CS major will be outsourced or taken by visa workers anytime soon.
>>
>>53385911
What's the degree of the future CEO besides business? I assume you mean CEO of a tech company.
>>
File: J U S T.jpg (19 KB, 217x320) Image search: [Google]
J U S T.jpg
19 KB, 217x320
Anyone offer me some advice, I'm having a hard time picking between Aerospace Eng. and Electrical and Electronic Eng.

Heart says AE but brain says EEE?

I want to work with military/civil aircraft with a dream of going into Motorsport.
>>
>>53385606
It's because lots of retards get into it thinking they will make big bucks

Also gamers have infected CS thinking they will create the next Valve, just like /g/ has been infected by /v/ and half the threads are about nVidia (and not in the context of HPC, but some lame manchildren's gayming)
>>
Is a business degree even worth jack shit? I live near a good business school, but IDK what the fuck they'd even teach me. I just want a future, but I can't handle a lot of math. Just had to drop my first math class of college.
>>
>>53385606
If you live in the UK that is or any rural area away from the city. I live right between LA and San Diego so I have a great outlook.
>>
>>53385583
The difference is I have a diploma from an accredited university whereas you have Jack shit. Guess who's going to get the job? Me.

t. Rajeesh
>>
>>53386008
MBA + experience
>>
>>53384690
>Why is that? Is there something else that's better to study?
Most CS degrees in the US are shit. Half the schools aren't even accredited.
>>
File: le laughing meme guy.png (208 KB, 680x880) Image search: [Google]
le laughing meme guy.png
208 KB, 680x880
>>53385766
>>
>>53385619
Any respectible major. You can get software jobs with a religious studies degree
>>
>>53384690
As a CS Master, soon starting PhD, I would only recommend CS if you are in it not for the bucks but because you have an inherent interest in science, especially math.

If not, just do EE or something in that direction, it helps more for getting "real" jobs.
>>
>>53386154
>getting a job without 4 years of professional CS experience
>>
>>53385236
No. Maybe you should stop caring about the opinions of some guys on 4chan
>>
>>53385619
Just take cs
>>
>>53386154
The difference is that I have four years of work experience and connections and you have a piece of paper
>>
>>53385619
CS or computer engineering or electrical engineering. If you go for the latter two you'll have more self-teaching to do, though.
>>
File: 1453782025639.png (307 KB, 494x456) Image search: [Google]
1453782025639.png
307 KB, 494x456
I can understand why people at this time think getting any degree is useless. But seeing as how more trade jobs are opening up and paying more since the baby boomer generation is retiring, degrees might be as relevant as they were 20. 30 or 40 years ago.

You also have to take into consideration a growing middle class that is gaining more opportunities to go to college. Obviously what is holding that class back is the large amount of debt that was rarely seen decades ago when degrees were more relevant.
>>
>>53384690
Go software engineering. You can make your engineering degree more like a CS and get the best of both worlds but get hired more easily and paid more.

Honestly though your career can be whatever you want it to be with any related degree really, it is more about what you did outside of school.
>>
>>53384959
Is this true I am thinking about focusing on Software Engineering? What makes the Software Engineers shit compared to others? Should I switch?
>>
>>53388528
I have your bitch.
>>
>>53384690
OP, you should choose what YOU want to do when it comes to classes. Keep in mind that the important thing for your future is that you learn how to learn things for yourself. You could major in Physics and end up doing an EE job (with lots of self-learning) or you could study CS and end up doing something else.. Yes, it is more optimal to study the thing that you want to end up doing long-term, but most important that you learn how to learn on your own. Also.. I may have had some alcohol before I wrote this.
>>
>>53384690
A CS degree is proof on a resume that you know what programming is and have some exposure to it. More often than not, that is what employers are looking for to fill entry level positions. They will usually throw out any other candidates, regardless of their real skills.

I majored in math and physics if college and developed an extensive amount of programming experience before I graduated. I decided I wanted to go into software development and it took me nearly 6 months to get a job.

If you want an easy job after you graduate that pays well, go for CS. If you want to really learn the concepts of a subject that you can't teach yourself, then go for that subject. It was hard for me to get a job after college, but I was able to get a pretty decent position once the right company gave me a chance.
>>
>>53386136
Do you live in Irvine too?
>>
>>53384690
> Is there something else that's better to study?
Aerospace Engineering is the #1 answer. It's lots harder tho, dropped out and now I'm just coding all day long :^)
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.