[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Encryption
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: Selection_001.png (503 KB, 581x498) Image search: [Google]
Selection_001.png
503 KB, 581x498
So /g/, is there such an encryption algorithm that uses image content as a key?

for example, suppose that instead of an ascii password, we put an image which the content would be recognized by the algorithm, and iff it is the right image, would be able to access our email.

also another example would be about messaging. suppose that Xanon sends an encrypted message to Ynon with the Everest mountain picture he took by himself as a key. But Ynon would be able only to read the message iff he has the same picture Xanon took.

the algorithm can remain open and make it clear that an image/picture as a key is needed. however, the key is private which is the unique content the picture has.

i dont know if i am clear enough
>>
>>53383051
So using a hash of an image as a key?

I mean, you could do that, though it could also just be implemented as a regular key-based system.
>>
>>53383078
not exactly. it would be more like an AI by understanding the content of the picture
>>
You could do it but why the fuck would you want to?
>>
>>53383051
There's no reason why you couldn't do that, but there's also no reason to do that

>>53383107
Oh. No.
>>
>>53383107
Why would you bother doing image processing? So you can send an encrypted file then tell Bob he needs to take a picture of his asshole to open it?
>>
>>53383051

So it's like face recognition but with arbitrary object?
>>
>>53383107
But that'd allow for a lot more colliding passwords, as fundamentally images are collections of 8 bit values. At least hashes have provable collision rates far higher than this method.
>>
That's called a keyfile anon

Your idea of using an AI is terrible, unless the goal is for people to be able to decrypt using similar images (eg downscaled images, recompressed etc), but why would you want that?
>>
>>53383239
So you can use your dick (pic of your dick) as a password.
>>
File: shkendije-mujaj14.jpg (62 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
shkendije-mujaj14.jpg
62 KB, 640x640
>>53383165
yes!, exactly like that!

>>53383239
>>53383162
>>53383128
>>53383126
i was just wondering if there exists such thing and if they're more future proof (since ascii algorithms nowadays are just a matter of time before they can get broken)
>>
>>53383448
Senpai if you think pictures magically have "more information" than other keys u need to pay more attention in those CS classes
>>
>>53383051

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad
>>
>>53383051

by the way, what you are proposing is like saving a plain text password somewhere on a disk...
>>
You can do that or hide files in images. They used to be shared all the time on 4chan. Occasionally someone would post a script and people would scan their image collection for fun Easter eggs. Eventually, a dev added a filter so they can't be posted anymore. No more fun.
>>
>>53383587
nah that is called steganography mate.

>>53383557
>>53383587
check the thread
>>
>>53383051
Don't use girls from ODTU, I'm guessing there would be so few of them that everyone would have a photo of them and everyone would be able to crack your messages.
>>
>>53383613

all this amounts to would be reduced to the information that is in the filename of the image. Once you have it, the image can be found.

OP is proposing a less secure text password than a random memorised one.

Plus, any attacker could create a brute-force attack out of the victim's file allocation table, going through a very limited amount of possible combinations until he finds the right image.
>>
>>53383736
>all this amounts to would be reduced to the information that is in the filename of the image. Once you have it, the image can be found.
but the file name can be changed. the content cannot

>Plus, any attacker could create a brute-force attack out of the victim's file allocation table, going through a very limited amount of possible combinations until he finds the right image.
i didnt think of that
>>
>>53383822

the file name being changed is likely just security through obscurity, because then the brute force method would still work.
>>
>>53383862
yeah you're probably right. it sounds interesting to me as an idea to put one or a set of pictures as a password, even though not that efficient
>>
>>53383862

additionally:

Say A wants to log into B using image content as a password.
Any attacker would know - the image can't be memorised by A, so it must be somewhere on A's drives.

That's the thing I want to point out - the flaw's in the design of the idea.
>>
>>53383943
yeah that makes sense. but do you know if there already exists one so i can read its documentation? it would be fun to read
>>
>>53383933

You could use something like profile images as huge public keys for asymmetric encryption.

But the images need to be so irregular as to not be recognised as images but as static - because, you know, random numbers.
>>
>>53384001

I'm not so deeply involved in encryption myself, so others might want to post links.
>>
>>53383107
There was this one project that used a neural network to give *booru tags to anime images.

Other than that, this is what Google is trying to do with the captcha. Training a neural network to recognize everyday items. Even Google hasn't figured this one out.

What you're describing will be stupid for at least 10 more years.
>>
File: 1457089688165.jpg (94 KB, 700x989) Image search: [Google]
1457089688165.jpg
94 KB, 700x989
>>53383051
an image is just binary data. If you were to take the hash of an image, and use that as the key, it would be more than sufficient.
>>
This thread is beyond autistic

Take a crypto class, OP, or better yet, CS101 so you can have a glimpse at why you're retarded
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-09-00-47-16.png (216 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-09-00-47-16.png
216 KB, 1080x1920
>>53384127
I mean fuck
Look at all the anons that missed >>53383107 and still think that op has a brain of any kind.

Also, step it up 4chan mobile
The text field disappeared
>>
>>53384186
whats wrong with this >>53383107 ?
>>
>>53383051
Here's part of a lecture explaining encryption using images because its easier to see what actually happens

https://youtu.be/zKuFu19LgZA?t=19m5s

Linked at the relevant part.

tl;dw: passwords are shitty, and using pictures as keys is shitty too.
>>
>>53383448
>since ascii algorithms nowadays are just a matter of time before they can get broken
This is the most psuedo-scientific, asinine bullshit I've ever read. What in the flying fuck is an "ascii algorithm" for encryption?
>>
>>53384270
its written for people who have some common sense. not for you you sweety. go back to sleep
>>
>>53383051
>>53383107
You are retarded and have no actual idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>53383107

That's object recognition. If you just need a picture of an orange (any orange) for example, then you need some deep mind shit.

It's possible but slow, clumsy and kinda useless.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.