[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is some shit every CS major should know about?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 9
File: Image56.gif (4 KB, 368x186) Image search: [Google]
Image56.gif
4 KB, 368x186
What is some shit every CS major should know about?
>>
>>53378170
how to invert a matrix
>>
How to balance a checkbook
>>
>>53378170
What an eigenvector is.
>>
How to average two ints in C

Surprisingly, 95% of CS majors can't do this
>>
>>53378242
(x + y) / 2
>>
>>53378267
They didn't teach you about integer overflow in your computer architecture class?
>>
that python is a meme
>>
>>53378242
>>53378313
(x/2) + (y/2)
>>
>>53378397
This is bait.
>>
>>53378397
if x and y is 1 then the result is 0. Not quite desireable
>>
>>53378212
>>53378236
Where do you go where that isn't covered in the first term (and most people know it already anyway)?
>>
>>53378397
Wouldn't it be int( float(x)/2 + float(y)/2 )?

>>53378425
Linear algebra. I took this class my sophomore year.
>>
>>53378425
The CS people I talk to tend to treat math as that class they are forced to take but don't really care about (I'm a maths major btw).

There is a difference between knowing the definition of an eigenvector and actually understanding what it is and why it's an important concept.
>>
That Networks is actually the way to go.

source: 80k/y starting
>>
>>53378212
Not that I don't know how to do it, but I can't remember more than a handful of times where I've ever had to invert a matrix by hand, or even know how to do it, in my bachelor CS curriculum.
Then again, my uni is pretty shit since they don't give dedicated math courses for CS. Instead they spread it out over the other courses, with the intent that you get a more "hands on" approach where you apply the math you just learned directly.
That's a shit approach.
>>
>>53378493
This. Most people also view math as a set of methods for particular problems (e.g. matrices can be used for graphics) instead of general ideas for solving pretty much any problem you can represent that way.
>>
>>53378519
My college has speciak CS math courses. They are essentially dumbed down math department courses taught by Indians who don't understand the material.
>>
>>53378170
>Business management
>accounting and finance
>basic math
>public speaking
>basic sales knowledge
>>
>>53378560
So you mean the CS department?
>>
File: CSmajor.jpg (128 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
CSmajor.jpg
128 KB, 960x640
>>53378668
This anon knows what's up. Being able to communicate normally with people outside of tech (and some basic functioning math skills) will put you above and beyond your typical sperglord CS Major (pic related)
>>
how to create a compiler and how to create an operating system
>>
>>53379038
>tfw my CS department is thinking about dropping the compilers course after the Python switch
Suffering.
>>
>>53378170
The word "computer" is a combination of the word "compute" and the suffix -er
>>
>>53378422
Even in standard math >>53378397 wouldn't work. If x is 10 and y is 0, it would give you 10
>>
how to assemble a big mac
>>
>>53379502
>10 / 2 = 10
???
>>
>>53378493
I'm doing a software engineer degree but SE has the same courses as the CS folks at my university, and I like math and often find a use for what we learn when we work on our semester projects.
>>
>>53379590
>still thinking 10 / 2 = 5
Get a load of this cuck
>>
>>53378170
what is that formula for? seems to use bayes and some weird chain rule to get to some weird markov assumption
>>
Calculus III
How to speak to others
How to do work outside of class

I don't think I'm asking for much here, but I think a majority of CS undergrads would fail at least one of these. I say this as a sophomore in CS.
>>
>>53378882
can't stress this enough.
>>
>>53378170
Category theory
>>
Job interview wise

OOP concepts
Data structures
Algorithm analysis
>>
>>53378267
>>53378313
round(((double)x + y)/2.0)
>>
>>53379502
:I
>>
>>53379822
Category theory is really great to know when you learn new things.
Seeing how things in other mathematical systems are functors, monoids and monads really help understanding how the things are related to each other.
>>
>>53378242
x >> 1 + y >> 1 + (x & y & 1)
I forgot if shifting is arithmetic or logical by default.
>>
>>53378422
(x & y & (1 << sizeof(int)*8)) ? (x/2 + y/2) : (x + y)/2
>>
>>53378170
How to do a Fourier transform
How to do a Taylor approximation
How to write a rotation, scaling, and shifting matrix
How RSA or ECG works
How to use the chain rule and Bayes' Theorem
How to do a least squares regression
How to write a gradient descent algorithm
How to whiten data through a covariance matrix
How to do a Burrows-Wheeler transform and its inverse

Ideally, all this stuff should be learned within the first 2 years as it is all basic material. The final 2 years should be focused on learning a specialization.
>>
>>53378882
Whoa nigga that's hackerman, not some typical CS fag.
>>
>>53379485
Computeer?
>>
>>53380009
No, that's the person who uses a computer
>>
File: TG11.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
TG11.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
>>53378242
>How to average two ints in C
unsigned int average = low + ((high - low) / 2);
>>
>>53380036
nice overflow
>>
File: chad.png (42 KB, 799x504) Image search: [Google]
chad.png
42 KB, 799x504
>>53378242
average = a/2 + b/2 + (a%2) * (b%2)
>>
>>53380089
Assuming both are MAX_INT, that would be computing
average = MAX_INT + ((MAX_INT - MAX_INT) / 2)

Which is MAX_INT + 0/2 = MAX_INT + 0 = MAX_INT

Where does this overflow?
>>
>>53380089
nice meme, wheres the overflow
>>
>>53378313
// don't pass this function two ints that would cause an overflow
(x+y)/2
>>
>>53380209
>don't do this thing the spec specified we want to do
>>
>>53380222
>moving goalposts
>>
>>53380281
Spec said two ints

You only solved for special cases of ints
>>
>>53380294
If you went into it because you enjoy it, why would you get tired of it?
>>
>>53379927
This is all very shallow, see
>>53378532
>>
>>53380343
No, I solved for the common case.

Tell you what, give me a team of engineers, 6 weeks, and half a million dollar budget and we'll get you an int averaging function so robust and underperformant that you'll shit yourself.
>>
>>53378508

Damn, a 2 year networks/IT degree get 80k/yr starting?
>>
>>53378508
What do you do all day at work?
>>
>know barely any shit posted ITT
>$70k a year job after working 3 years at a software QA company

hmm
>>
>>53378170
hindi
>>
>>53380181
>>53380197
>what are negative numbers
>>
>>53380479
Topkek
>>
>>53378422
>0.5+0.5 is 0
>>
>>53380453
but you probably had either good grades and/or good connections.
>>
>>53378313
>LOL CORNER CASES
>>
>>53378242
(float) (a+b) / 2
>>
>>53378170
How to regex. Can't believe how many Cs majors can tell me how a compiler works but can't write a simple regex
>>
>>53378882
but they intentionally don't teach that so business majors can exploit your lack of knowledge later.
>>
I'm only a computer science major due to all the possibilities it offers.

I could careless about being good at programming, but just being a CS major gives me the choice of choosing both being an IT Tech and a web developer, besides being a software engineer/gamedev is too much of a hassle.
>>
>>53378242
First year in electrical engineering, just started C, can anyone actually tell me what's the proper way to do this?
>>
>>53378212
AFAIK matrix inversion isn't actually needed in serious lin algebra calculations because it's too slow
>>
>>53381644
use float for averaging why the fuck would you ever average two integers
>>
>>53381210
To be fair, regex is inconsistent, and absolutely incoherent once you start trying to use the non-regular extensions (why the fuck do these exist?)

Though you're right, you do have to know some flavour.
>>
>>53381210
How to (properly) implement regex. Can't believe how many CS majors can tell me how an NFA works but can't implement a linear-time regex matching algorithm.
>>
How many of you use the CS knowledge on a regular basis and what parts of it?
>>
>>53382900
The CS parts, when programming.

For example, I use linear algebra a lot. It's really fun, because everything is so linear you get to do all sorts of cool reordering and refactoring.
>>
>>53378493
reform to have math taught better. or better yet, fuck the schools.
>>
>>53378242
int a, b;
float c, d;
c = a + b;
d = c / 2;

What the fuck is the problem with everyone.
>>
>>53383507
For instance, averaging 200 and 5000 is easy:

unsigned int a = 200;
unsigned int b = 5000;
unsigned int average = (a + b) / 2; // Equals: 2600 as intended

But in the case of 4294967295 and 5000 then:

unsigned int a = 4294967295;
unsigned int b = 5000;
unsigned int average = (a + b) / 2; // Equals: 2499 instead of 2147486147

The best I've come up with is:

unsigned int a = 4294967295;
unsigned int b = 5000;
unsigned int average = (a / 2) + (b / 2); // Equals: 2147486147 as expected
>>
>>53378170
How to make friends and work in a social environment ;)
>>
>>53383593
I mean usually in the case of such a large number it would be impractical to use ints. There is no reason to avoid the usage of longs if you're dealing with numbers that big.
>>
>>53381084
I graduated from a shitty uni with a 3.5. No connections.
>>
>>53378212
Haha. Hahahaha, was working in graphics the other day, good luck inverting a 4x4 matrix buddy.
>>
>>53380453
What was your starting salary?
>>
implement a simple algorithm explained in detail on wikipedia. 99% can't.
>>
>>53383757
Started working there before I graduated doing manual testing making $20/hour. After I graduated they bumped me up to junior dev 1 on salary making $50k before taxes, then junior dev 2 making about $60k, now project manager making $70k

tbf I pretty much only got the project manager job because the old project manager got leukemia and quit and I was his recommendation
>>
This post will mostly relate to Software engineers, due to its second part. I won't list programming domain-specific courses like OOP, software architecture, computer architecture or OS theory and will instead focus on what surrounds them.

Disclaimer: everything's listed in no particular order
1)Math related
Some basic propositional logic, first order logic and set theory. Just enough to blow student's minds.
Real Analysis
Abstract Algebra and Discrete Maths
Probability Theory and Statistics
Linear Algebra
Optimisation Theory and Linear Programming are also useful
Numerical Algorithms, because obvious solution to most math problems is always the worst
Algorithm Theory and maybe some Complexity Theory
At least 2 semesters of physics. Yes, physics. Helps you not forget LinAl and Analysis, requires some easy vector calculus and helps you develop intuition on how to map mathematical concepts onto a specific domain.
Without at least a minimal exposure to these things you aren't even considered a normal human being.

2)Communication related
Communication class. You have to be able to clearly convey your ideas to others and convince them that you are right.
Some basic accounting class, financial and project management classes. So you won't fuck up your time and money and so you will be able to work in or even lead a team.
>>
>>53384077
Damn that's a lot of maths... How does this differ from CS?
>>
>>53384077
The one thing on that list I have literally NEVER used while programming is real functional analysis.
>>
>>53384204
That's only an ideal. I personally didn't have some of the subjects listed in my course, like complexity theory or optimisation theory, though their inclusion surely wouldn't have hurt.
And CS students, in my humble opinion, should have even more math - formal languages, deeper studies of discrete math, algebra and combinatorics, category theory, type theory and many other areas. After all, it is Computer SCIENCE, not Computer CRAFT. Software Engineering should be lighter on math, but it should also, obviously, contain more subjects that pertain to actual software building.
tl;dr CS - almost pure science, SE - leaning more to practical parts.
As you might infer through my posts, I have a certain antipathy to "Java Schools" and people who think that math in CS is useless.
>>
>>53378532

old but true: maht is just (another) language
>pic related

[spoiler]which makes abstract thinking very easy...[/spoiler]
>>
>>53383638
That gives the exact same problem with a different upper-bound.
>>
>>53384274
Well, calculus, analysis - however you name it. Universities in my country don't make the distinction between calculus and analysis - it's called just "Mathematical Analysis", and perhaps that was a source of confusion, as "analysis" implies a much deeper study from what I know. And I by this subject I simply meant basic theory of functions, integrals, derivatives and DEs. Basic things that are useful to at least have a concept about everywhere.
>>
>>53384204
CS is way more math.

>>53384405
I like you.
>>
>>53378170
Try to break:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_versus_NP_problem

and then understand, you can't
>>
>>53378170
data structures and algorithms
>>
>>53384405
>And CS students, in my humble opinion, should have even more math - formal languages, deeper studies of discrete math, algebra and combinatorics, category theory, type theory and many other areas. After all, it is Computer SCIENCE, not Computer CRAFT. Software Engineering should be lighter on math, but it should also, obviously, contain more subjects that pertain to actual software building.
This right here is what I want from my CS curriculum.

What I get is about 50% CS, 40% pure maths and 10% bullshit (e.g. java).

If my current level of interest continues as it is, I think I'm going to drop out of university before I finish my bachelor's. It's just so mind-numbingly mundane.
>>
>>53384528
>math is just (another) language
And then you read up on logic and see that it is kind of limited in some really strange ways: that it can't talk about itself without shitting itself (Gödel's second incompleteness theorem), can't even generally say what's true or not (Tarski's theorem), some shit is just insane at first sight unless you look at it really carefully (Skolem's paradox) and from all that even weirder conclusions arise.
And it's just me and a single introductory book on Logic with which I semi-casually studied. I'm afraid of what lies next. But damn, was it fun.
>>
"What every computer scientist should know about memory"
"What ever computer scientist should know about floating point numbers"
Both are really good read
>>
>>53384598
T-thanks.
>>
>>53384767
>Skolem's paradox
Didn't know about this. I looked it up on wikipedia.

I only skimmed the article and have only a basic understanding of the involved concepts, but am I very wrong in understanding Skolem's paradox as basically being a proof that there exist real numbers which you can't define and reason about in e.g. ZF?

Intuitively that makes complete sense to me, because almost all real numbers contain an infinite amount of information.
>>
>>53384881
In particular, the real numbers which we can work with as human beings are almost certainly countable - due to the fact that the set of english-language papers describing real numbers is countable.
>>
>>53384897
Oh, and every mathematical proof in PDF form - no matter how complex, elegant, involved or groundbreaking - is going to be some sequence of 0s and 1s. Hence we can almost trivially assert that the set of mathematical proofs and statements that can be represented in _any_ usable theory of mathematics is countable.
>>
>>53379732
Pretty much exactly that. Markov chain stuff. X at position K is dependant on the two adjacent positions.
Useful in bioinformatics and other stuff, presumably.
>>
the usage of == vs .equals on primitives vs classes

this used to fuck me over so often in Java
>>
>>53384716
What year are you in?
>>
>>53384881
There was/is a thread that touched upon that question recently while talking about how shitty wikipedia can get. Basically, the very concept of definability is extremely subtle and generally belongs to the metatheories. See http://mathoverflow.net/questions/44102/is-the-analysis-as-taught-in-universities-in-fact-the-analysis-of-definable-numb and http://de.arxiv.org/abs/1105.4597

tl;dr due to Tarski's theorem there need not be a bijection between what can be defined and what is true. Moreover, the concept of "definition" in a theory cannot be expressed inside of it. The stackoverflow answer also includes a wonderful and simple counterexample with ordinals.

And about Skolem: it basically states "think in terms of the model, nigga, not metamodel"
>>
>>53385023
Starting my 5th semester soon. (Nominal study time is 6 semesters)

I've completed all of the upper coursework, advanced CS topics and optional mathematics courses.

Still missing a few basic ones though (2-nd year Java programming crap, analysis II) and my interest has dropped to zero.

I want to just stop studying and get a job as a sysadmin or something. I work part-time as one and it's the only reason I even go to university anymore.
>>
>>53384077
My uni does not have physics :^(
Is there any advice on material that i could search by myself ?
>>
>>53385065
I'm not a fan of meta-mathematics. Nor am I a fan of philosophy. Neither am I a fan of religion.

These things all have something in common to me: They're based on the study of unanswerable questions.

I prefer playing within rigid rulesets. I don't really care what rule set you give me, I will play with it and try figuring out what I can do inside it.

Figuring out which set of rules may or may not be able to theoretically cover the needs of mathematics feels like philosophical masturbation to me.
>>
>>53378170
Installing Gentoo
>>
>>53378170
Iterative methods for numerical equation solving
>>
>>53380484
Didn't the post you were replying to say unsigned?
>>
>>53385110
Honestly, I don't know. I had a wonderful physics professor. Though passing his final oral exam with a good mark was hell, especially if your question had to do anything with electrodynamics.
>>
>>53378170
How to triforce.
>>
>>53385110
How does a university not offer physics
>>
>>53385128
>I'm not a fan of meta-mathematics.
Okay
>Nor am I a fan of philosophy. Neither am I a fan of religion.
Now that came out of nowhere. "Meta" here mean, roughly, higher order. And it's all based on logic which is as rigid as it gets. There's absolutely no philosophy here.
>>
>>53378170
Every CS major should know that the field is an oversaturated dead end and they are wasting time getting a degree when Pajkeet will work for pennies.
>>
>>53385324
I'm too busy counting my money to make a serious reply to this post. Here's a (You).
>>
Don't worry about the math courses, you won't need it at all in the real world.
>>
>>53385330
>le epic convince people to waste 4 years of their life meme
>>
>>53385239
I dont know, we have calculus but no physics
>>
I'm finishing my degree in Informatics and Computer Enginering and I feel I've lost years of my life.
I enjoyed OS, algorithms and data structures I and II, AI, DB, Computer Networks, Software engineering and Distributed systems, but I loather the rest. All the useless calculus, things like linear algebra that were useful just to pass other math courses or computer graphics, then I had two physics courses and for what?
nothing! it's fucking useless. Fuck the engineering title.
Software engineering has nothing to do with Civil/Mechanical/Electrical/etc Engineering besides the rigour and careful planning needed to do something
>>
>>53380408
>webcuck can't do it
>>
>>53385201
said unsigned for the average variable; low and high are signed
>>
>>53378223
test shitpost
>>
>>53378242
You did good, anon, the big dick playa is pleased.
>>
>>53378212
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
>>
>>53378170
>What is some shit every CS major should know about?

At the bare minimum (in no order):

Programming
Data Structures
Digital Logic
Computer Architecture
Algorithms Design
Vector Calculus and Differential Equations
Linear Algebra and Matrix Analysis
Proofs and Naive Set Theory
Automata Theory
Computibility Theory
Computational Complexity
Circuit Complexity
Mathematical Logic
Graph Theory and Combinatorics
Abstract Algebra
Real and Complex Analysis
Numerical Analysis
Algorithm Analysis and Analytical Combinatorics
Programming Language Paradigms
Programming Language Theory and Type Theory
Compilers and Parsing Theory
Operating Systems Design
Networks and Queuing Theory
Parallel and Distributed Computing
Information Theory and Coding Theory
Computer Security and Cryptography
Fourier and Functional Analysis
Digital Signal Processing
Control Engineering and Theory
Dynamical Systems and Chaos Theory
Physics, Chemistry, and Biology
Modeling and Simulation
Quantum Computing
Probability, Random Processes, and Statistics
Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Natural Language Processing
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
Modern Geometry
Algebraic Geometry
Discrete and Computational Geometry
Linear Programming
Combinatorial Optimization
Convex Optimization
Approximation Algorithms
Randomized Algorithms
Software Engineering and Project Management
Database Theory and Data Mining
>>
>>53385381
>he doesn't like mathematics
Laugh at him!
>>
>>53385422
What the fuck
>>
>>53380453
>tfw summer internship is paying me $35 an hour
Not that impressive, desu. Junior CS
>>
>>53385495
This is what real CS looks like at a good school.
>>
>>53378882
>he doesn't want to be hackerman
the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>53378170
To properly fuck bitches.
>>
>>53385505
What school?
>>
>>53378170
You need to know how to tackle the squid.
>>
>>53382900
I use prepositional logic and rules of inference to clean up my code. Only an intern though.
I have a friend that uses a lot of his math skills, but he implements data algorithms
>>
>>53385523
Tickle my squid senpai ~
>>
File: 1455326033190.jpg (20 KB, 362x362) Image search: [Google]
1455326033190.jpg
20 KB, 362x362
>>53384963
Are you serious?
>>
>>53385422
No university is going to teach you all of these things. A lot of them are courses you'd take in specialized tracks.
>>
>>53381644
x/2+y/2+x&y&1

x+y can overflow
>>
>>53385585
Yes, the compiler optimizing shit resulting in unexpected behavior, what's not to believe?
>>
>>53378170
How to study new languages/libraries/technologies on their own. You'll have to do that over and over again, and being the shit who has to be handheld through this will get fired because they kill all productivity and should die in a fire like the soul sticking scum they are is not what you want to be.
>>
>>53379927
See....
i'm in third year CS, and you're right iv seen all this material in the past 2 years.

I

R E M E M B E R

N O N E

O F

I T

Wish i was better at C though.
>>
>>53385324
>all of my internships so far have paid me $30 or more an hour
>work with some Indians but they do work just fine and aren't paid pennies
Yeah, I think I'm fine. I already have a decent offer from Epic, but I might shop around
>>
File: 1457168997789.jpg (214 KB, 1008x1323) Image search: [Google]
1457168997789.jpg
214 KB, 1008x1323
>>53385592
Because CS is a meme degree now and not worth the paper it's printed on
>>
>>53385614
I just don't really see how one could make the mistake of == vs equals past the intro course
>>
>>53385634
>he's mad that people with CS degrees make more money than him
>>
>>53385628
I can confirm this.
>>
>>53385662
>thinks he's a special snowflake for having a cs degree
>>
>>53385656
That's not what I said.
>>
>>53385324
Work gets outsourced to Indians for QA work. Real development doesn't get outsourced.
>>
>>53378242
int avg(int a, int b)
{
int64_t sum = a + b;
sum /= 2;
return (int)sum;
}

Obviously assuming that int is a 32-bit data type. If it on the other hand is 64-bit switch out int64 with __int128.
>>
>>53385705
What. Either way I was talking about the guy that said that
>>
>>53385422
Probably won't cover that in 4 years, but at least half
>>
>>53385656
Tell me what you think they do in Java, I bet it's wrong.
>>
Tfw I study web development/design (I mean, that's just a part of a degree)... It's true that I want to kill myself when I see this shit, but then again, why bother when I'm practically studying something completely different.

So, feelsbadman.jpg on one hand, but on the other, most of this is pretty boring and I would kill myself if I had to study it too. But for some odd reason I constantly, for months and years feel the need to compare my degree with CS just because we had the same first year. And I feel terrible because of it.
>>
>>53385801
==compares primitive types and null, and equals compares objecta
>>
>>53378170
that their major is for a bloated industry that is going to see a high unemployment rate
>>
>>53385803
>>53385803

To be honest you should know a lot about this, it is how computers work. Otherwise you are getting some form of neo-code-monkey education or something. Study it on your own.

School isn't even close to enough to learn everything you need to know most of the time. Maybe this is because I am an older student so I feel a lot more pressure to learn as much as I can in as short amount of time but I really feel people rely way to much on their schools curriculum for showing them 'what they should know' when really it's not even remotely close enough to stand out as someone that is knowledgeable.

I study network systems/security at school but since it is also my hobby and what I want to do as a career I spend a lot of my free-time developing more knowledge.

As a simple example understanding x86 architecture/assembly language is very important for malware analysis/reverse engineering/exploit development.

Some people in my class are going to graduate barely being able to load a metasploit module or configure a Cisco switch because they either don't care or don't understand what it takes to actually be good at something.
>>
>>53386038
>x86 assembly is...
How did you know this? I'm proud of you, anon. Reverse engineering malware and doing research is my job, and most people have no idea what I do.
>>
>>53379759
>How to speak to others
>How to do work outside of class
This is any major.
>>
>>53385634
You couldn't reach the grapes, could you?
>>
>>53386069

Because reverse engineering/malware analysis/etc. is all part of my dream job which is penetration testing; though just doing malware analysis on it's own seems pretty great as well.

Very cool that you have that job.
>>
>>53379759
>How to speak to others

This actually a class that IT type students are required to take at my school, hah. My advisor told me straight forward that it was exactly for the reason you think; ie: It/CS/whatever attracts people that have shit social skills.

The class is 'Introduction to Oral Communication'.
>>
>>53386306
Really depends what you plan to do, a DBA for example wouldn't need good social skills where as it would be absolutely vital for a PM
>>
>>53378170
What about fizzbuzz is it a meme?
>>
File: 371322350_6a7ea81e42.jpg (91 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
371322350_6a7ea81e42.jpg
91 KB, 500x333
So then what kind of job should a proper CS major do?
>>
>>53388043
what if the DBA gets fired cause the PM got irritated with his stunted social skills? Would you call that wrong?
>>
>>53385422
Fifteen years in the industry, BS and MS degrees before I went in, working in Silicon Valley for one of the big guys, over a hundred interviews under my belt.

Know how to code on a whiteboard. Read "cracking the coding interview" and practice. Do Project Euler. Read "test driven development by example"; it's worthwhile.

If you have an interest, follow it--security, graphics, machine learning, sysadmin, whatever. Distributed systems is pretty useful, if you're into that.

You can't cram the entire field into your head. Code regularly, follow your interests, and stay sharp. There's work out there if you're good at it.
>>
>>53386306
I gave a talk on a topic I'd researched a week prior (IoT security) to about thirty students, and it went off really well.

I *never* thought I'd be able to do that; I'm introverted, and shy, and generally not into public speaking. I found out I had a knack for it, I'm interested, and I apparently turned into an expert at some point.

Public speaking is hard, but it can be really awesome once you learn to pull it off. I started by telling stories at our weekly ops review, which was a lot more informal. But however you get started, it's a damned fine skill to have.
>>
>>53388072
I interview for a major tech company. (Over a hundred interviews so far.) I ask FizzBuzz as a warmup. Getting it right just means we move onto the real questions; getting it wrong means that we can stop wasting everyone's time, and I'll just ask you about your resume or some shit to fill time.
>>
>>53385422
buzzwords
>>
>>53390108
>Read "cracking the coding interview"

That as stupid as reading a SAT prep book.
>>
>>53390282
The only buzzword is data mining.
>>
>>53381066
>what is an int
>>
>>53390285
I've never used it, but apparently there are sample interview questions in there. Have someone read them to you, do them on a whiteboard. It's good preparation, seriously.
>>
>>53385727
and what if they're __int128?
>>
>>53381644
int average (const int x, const int y) 
{
if ((x > 0) == (y < 0))
return (x + y) / 2;
const int xh = x / 2;
const int yh = y / 2;
const int xhr = x % 2;
const int yhr = y % 2;
return xh + yh + (xhr & yhr);
}
>>
Pussy is a trap that will keep you from doing your job correctly.
>>
>>53390293
Everyting is a useless buzzword. No really, it means nothing to me. "Data base theory"? Wtf you just sit and write the code to commnucate with a data base. Talking or reading books ABOUT programming is stupid and pointless.
>>
>>53390333
up_a=a>>64;
lo_a=(a<<64)>>64;
up_b=b>>64;
lo_b=(b<<64)>>64;
avg=(up_a+up_b)<<63+(lo_a+lo_b)>>1;
>>
>>53390388
spotted the codemonkey
>>
>>53378242
(b-a)/2+a?
this shit could cause overflow as well
>>
>>53390813
ah wait, did you mean only positive integers?
>>
>>53378242

a / abs(a) * (b / abs(b)) > 0 ? (a - b) / 2 + b : (a + b) / 2
>>
>>53390898
a = INT_MIN => abs(a) == a
>>
File: 1455288190947.jpg (27 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1455288190947.jpg
27 KB, 600x750
>>53385128
>Neither am I a fan of religion
>>
>>53389975
A DBA and a PM wouldn't really interact seeing as if your company is not garbage your DBA isn't your developer, your systems analyst, your QA, nor your business analyst. DBA is the ICT profession that requires the least social skills, where as a PM and a BA require the most.
>>
>>53391727
So a PM firing a developer for his social skills is okay?
>>
Why your SQL query is shit and brings our database server to the brink of destruction
>>
>all these math subjects
>passed all of it as 1st-2nd yr
>4th year
>remember nothing except specialization & programming
Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.