[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i5 2400 vs i7 940
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 9k%3D.jpg (16 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
9k%3D.jpg
16 KB, 259x194
Hello all.

Just trying to get some ideas on the two systems I have. One is an i5 2400 with a MB out of a Lenovo PC. Q67 chipset iirc. So I can't tweak it. The other is a i7 940, in a Dell XPS 730X. It has overclocking options. Given the option of overclocking, which would you go for? Benchmarks I've found say the i5 edges out the i7, at stock speeds. But if I can tweak it faster, I'll go with the i7. I know these are old. But its what I have to work with, and I know they are better than my old Phenom II setups.
>>
>>53377384
Go i7. I've got a 930 running at 4.1ghz.
>>
That's what I'm hoping for. Alot of info was saying that Sandy Bridge would be way better. But I'm hoping the increase in raw speed would make up for it. Seems that could the case.
>>
>>53377384
Throw away the i7, get a x58 motherboard and a xeon w3670. Overclock it to 4ghz and you're done.
>6/12 cores @4ghz
>6 ram slots for wasting cheap 4gb sticks until you hit 24gb ddr3. Get 12gb almost for free recycling 2gb modules nobody wants today
>the motherboard supports usb 3.0 along being a server class mobo (which means its very high quality and supports more stuff)
>a xeon w3670 is around 130€
>>
>>53378901
2500k go for nothing nowadays and their respective 1156 mobos do too.

They're old but still almost as fast. If you want today's performance but cheaping out of ddr4 and the cool stuff go sandy. If Nehalem aint worth it anymore, westmere is worth it only for raw power and the 1366 chips
>>
>>53379219
Time to sleep, kid
Question was simple
>i5 2400 vs i7 940
Promise me that you won't miss another english lesson
>>
>>53379319
Then what the hell are you bitching about? Do you want us to tell you what you already know?

A 4ghz 940 will btfo a 2400 since the latter can overclock, this is fact as much as a 2400 will btfo a non overclocked 940

It all boils down to the question of do you wanna overclock that or not? Are you willing to overclock?
If the answer is both yes then what are you waiting for, even @ 3.6ghz the i7 will btfo that i5
If the answer is no on both then what are you even asking us for, get the i5.
The wearing from overclock hardly matters. Cpus dont die, motherboards do and those are old enough that lotterly might kill a non overclocked one before and overclocked one

If you have other factors that you did not include like motherboard quality or features then include them right now. Otherwise i'm gonna assume you're willing to overclock but asked us just to have what you want to hear repeated at you

Disregard that, lga1366 is objectively superior to lga1156
>>
OP here, as well as third post. To answer a few, the i7 has an x58 chipset. The support for Xeon is scetchy. But I've read it can possibly work. Just unofficial. I mainly ask, here cause I'd like to get some more up to date info than many of the 5 year old posts I find in forums. Such as newer games benefiting from some new instruction set. I've no problem overclocking. But I'd like to know what I'm getting into is all, without shelling out alot. Also the comment about 'time to sleep' wasn't me.
>>
>>53379842
No luck tonight OP, try again maybe slipping your question inside a relevant thread that is more successful
>>
>>53379842
I can't confirm for Dell, but I can confirm that if you update BIOS, most LGA1366/x58 chipset motherboards will support the 6-core X5650-X5680 Xeons as drop-in replacements for their i7 920-990 counterparts.

Given that the XPS 730X was a pretty damn open platform (by Dell standards) and the Alienware A10 BIOS supports the i7 990X (judging from this thread http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19340033 ) it's probable that the Xeon hexcore will work.

And even if it doesn't, I'd still be inclined to go with the i7.
>>
Op here. Thanks for those putting in their 2 cents. It is my first time posting here. Though I've viewed other posts for a while. Honestly just making sure I'm heading in the right direction. It is my 1st Intel system since overclocking the Celeron 300/500mhz. It's been AMD since.
>>
>>53377384
is lenovo reliable?
I was looking for asus notebooks but I can't find one with the specs I want
>>
OP here. Lenovo seems pretty reliable. I got it from my job, when they did some upgrades. Nothing wrong with it. Just the usual corporation burning money. I imagine there would be few if any tweaks. Lenovo being a primarily buisness oriented PC maker.
>>
>>53377384
x58 mobos lack USB3 SATA3, if you don't need those OC the i7 and you are good. I had a 920 and upgraded to a Xeon 6c/12t for 70 bucks. Would highly recommend cheap eBay Xeons for x58.
>>
OP here. The Xeon does look nice. Certainly has 'bang for the buck' specs. I'll have a look around at those and see what I might be able to pick up. Thank you. Crossing fingers it will work.
>>
>>53379219
>get a x58 motherboard
Be prepared to pay $450 for a used >$200 board(at launch) should you even be fortunate enough to find one that supports xeon.
>>
File: 1446179191621.gif (996 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1446179191621.gif
996 KB, 400x225
I run an asus sabertooth x58 with an i7-970 and its pretty nice. I have it overclocked to 4.2ghz stable currently.
I have it alongside an xfx fury and have no issues in any games. Straight 60fps in all modern titles at 1440p.

In real world applications (read: not benchmarks) you will be just fine, and if you pair the cpu up with a solid gpu then you will have a solid system capable of trading blows with any haslel/skycuck build.
>>
>>53381454
X5650 is the cheapest Xeon you can get
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.