[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up /g/ I run a taxicab service, and I do pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: yellow cab.jpg (27 KB, 488x258) Image search: [Google]
yellow cab.jpg
27 KB, 488x258
What's up /g/

I run a taxicab service, and I do pretty much all of the accounting by hand.

I also know nothing beyond the basics of programming (just a couple of stupid programs without a GUI in cpp and some basic MATLAB)

I was thinking about slowly building myself a suite to run my business while also using it as a learning excercise.

Focus

>Create a driver database with their personal and work data
>Create a car database with mantainance and financial data
>Input the recipts the drivers give me with shift totals, expenses, miles travelled, etc.
>Cross reference cars and drivers to print out reports on performance

Should I build something from scratch or stick to a mix of access and excel?

Could someone point me in the right direction, as in an appropiate language to use and learn from?

I know it will be hard, and that it probably won't ever be functional, but what the hell...

Not american BTW, and the taxi system is quite different from the one in the US so premade solutions don't work for me.
>>
>>53376344
>build from scratch
and watch your company go bankrupt in the process? There's plenty of software designed to fix exactly your problem, use it.
>>
>>53376344
You can do literally all of this in Microsoft Access if you want to. Should you not know how, a basic course runs through pretty much everything you need to know to set it up how you would like.

If you want to build something yourself to learn some programming, go ahead, it's certainly a useful thing to know at the least.
>>
File: 1422169731949.jpg (203 KB, 1050x822) Image search: [Google]
1422169731949.jpg
203 KB, 1050x822
>>53376344
Hire a technical consultant instead of taking business advice of random strangers on an anime image board.
>>
>>53376363
I have enough free time to do so. I work around 10 hours every day, the rest is up to me.

>>53376365
Thanks, its mostly about learning and I know there would be a lot of people willing to buy this software if it works.

>>53376393
Business is running allright. I'm looking for computah adivce
>>
>>53376365
This. Access/Excel or both will do way more than you could do with custom software unless you're fine with spending a lot of money (and there's not too much reason to)
>>
Dude there's even free software business management software

You really think these problems have never been solved before?
>>
>>53376431

>works extra 2h/day more than the average
>has lots of free time

How ?
>>
>>53376498
I don't sleep much, eat at my desk, and have no social life other than a gf and the gym.
>>
>>53376344
Womp
>>
Make it web based and host it somewhere. That way you can access it anywhere
>>
>>53376802
That would be nice, as well as having an app for checking info on the go. But baby steps.
>>
>>53376344
Setup the lamp stack and use postgresql as the database. Make sure to thoroughly read into secure coding standards.

On the topic of layout: you use one database and multiple linked tables. Using a separate database for each group makes data mining a pain.
>>
>>53376344
Fuck off Roman
>>
>>53376344
Are you from Europe by any chance?
>>
Use Uber
>>
>>53377304
South America

>>53377229
Will read into that
>>
>Create a driver database with their personal and work data
>Create a car database with mantainance and financial data
>Input the recipts the drivers give me with shift totals, expenses, miles travelled, etc.
>Cross reference cars and drivers to print out reports on performance

Aren't things like this literally the point of Microsoft Access?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.