[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buyer's Remorse Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: HP-Microserver.jpg (43 KB, 446x375) Image search: [Google]
HP-Microserver.jpg
43 KB, 446x375
>it's whisper quiet :^)
>but only if you use the in-built fake-raid that has an unstable binary-only driver
>it has a sea of sensors and you can remote monitor them over lan :^)
>but only if you buy an additional license to use the features and set up your network a certain way and you also may need to set up additional proprietary software on your clients to do so
>oh and by the way on first boot you have to connect the server to a keyboard and mouse and vga monitor to accept the license and only after that can you run the server headless, it's a feature :^)
>>
>>53375637
itt: every current-day company ever
>>
>>53375637
Should have bought a supermicro.
>>
>>53375637
At least it's not Oracle.
>>
>>53375637
>oh and by the way on first boot you have to connect the server to a keyboard and mouse and vga monitor to accept the license and only after that can you run the server headless, it's a feature :^)
Well no shit. That's with every baremetal server ever
>>
The only real complaint I have is HP being a bunch of fucking dirty Jew that require a support contract to be able to download drivers and firmware updates for hardware I already paid for.
Everything else is just op being a massive fag and doing retarded shit (e.g. using an unsupported RAID card)
>>
>>53375637
In my experience anything with a fan which claims to be quiet is anything but.
>>
You can run FreeNAS on it though?
>>
>>53376457
Yes.
>>
>>53375637
Nigga replace the CD drive with another drive, put that drive alone in the RAID, then you get to use the others however you like with it being whisper quiet.

You can also get past the iLo remote restrictions really easily.
>>
That's why I didn't get one. Whisper quiet? It's a fucking Delta fan, with a non-standard connection. Quiet at 2%, maybe, when it clicks. And yes, the firmware issues, not UEFI, not latest gen. And iLO = unstable backdoor.

I'm building my own Braswell box instead. It makes far more sense for my use case and means I don't have to fuck with HP.

Pity, because that ruined it. In all other aspects it sounded very promising.
>>
>>53376566
ILO is stable and uses it's own sperate interface. The lack of uefi sucks though.

I run OMV on mine from a 16gb micro SD card, with the b120i disabled (ahci only) without issues...
>>
>>53375637

Would really like to build desktop from gen8 but 150w PSU is very limiting.

Any chance of getting cpu+gpu combo with under 150w power consumption that can run BF4 at 1200p on medium?
>>
>buy expensive 1440p screen
>everything is tiny
>can't see anything
>feel like my eyes are burning from strain
>>
>>53375637
I'm sorry, I clearly dont get it. Is your greentext referencing hp microserver shit?

You should've done your research if you were somehow surprised what licenses came with a server and what didnt. How do you install an OS if you dont have iKVM embedded and wont connect a screen to a server? And microservers are not quiet, no review would state that.

I have one microserver running nas4free and its rock solid.

It feels more like your remorses are due to you being ignorant.
>>
>>53375637
why not just install a different os on it?
>>
>>53376729
there's this new thing called display scaling.
also, you might need glasses
>>
>>53375637
did you buy it for home or business? i have the older mediasmart server and i can't really complain since well, most of the weirdness is on me. but it does what i intend it to do.
>>
>>53376729
display scaling on windows

on windows 8.1 and 10 it even lets you use diferent scales if you have 2 monitors with diferemt resolutions (like i do)
>>
>>53377299
>>53377318
I use 7 because 8.1 and 10 are both shit.
On Windows 7, its broken.
>>
>>53376478
So do it and stop crying
>>
>>53376177
>>>53375637
>Should have bought a supermicro.
If you don't get bitten by their complete lack of quality control, or one of their various BMC vulnerabilities, they're great.

They're not the only game in town for cheap-enough for home use and has IPMI though. ASRock is selling a bunch like link related. No first, or even second, hand knowledge of these.
>>
>>53377640
I've seen a few very interesting Asrock rack boards but so far they seem to be vaporware.
>>
>>53375637
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53376729
Move it closer to your face.
>>
>>53375637
Hi.
>>
>>53377640
What
Supermicro has way better QC than most brands.
>>
>>53376661
Bf4 server?
>>
>>53376661
wait what? the gen8 only has a 150w psu?
>>
>>53377640
>Supermicro
>lack of quality control

wat
>>
>>53375637
>Had a Seagate NAS. 12tb. Cost a blunket with drives. Absolute shit on wired/wireless. Replaced with usb3.0 I could toss the hdds in. Fuck a home nas. Fuck Seagate.
>>
>>53377496
I am not op and I have no problem whatsoever with my microserver.
>>
File: 1457402160612.jpg (25 KB, 450x327) Image search: [Google]
1457402160612.jpg
25 KB, 450x327
>>53377348
>both shit
Of course they are, it's Microsoft
But GNU aside, 8.1 is literally 7, but doesn't look like cancer
>>
>>53378423
That thing is quiet but not silent, and sometimes will even make those annoying vibration noises.

Great software though.
>>
here's my latest remorse purchase. It's a neat little device but 2 bays in this day and age is woefully little. I stupidly thought i could make it work but even in raid 0, it filled up quickly with the 3tb drives it came with.

and inb4 >why don't you DIY, pleb.

fuck that, i want plug and play, set it and forget it, can't be assed to bother with tweaking configs and speccing a build. I am capable, but have no desire to.
>>
>>53382740
>pile up old hardware and hard drives
>install openmediavault
>configure settings to your liking
????

It's not fucking rocket science
>>
>>53382740
>"i'm poor and stupid, but most of all i'm lazy"
>>
>>53382740
There are 10tb HDDs, and In about 2 years we'll probably have cheap consumer 10+tb SSDs, so I wouldn't call 2-bay completely useless.
>>
File: IMG_3232-750.jpg (117 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3232-750.jpg
117 KB, 750x500
pic related. I mean it's 5 years old, but right after the 3 year warranty ended one of the 4 controllers failed and was up shit creek on ever getting a replacement, now, just last week another controller failed so now muh 480GB SSD that cost $2k is both smaller and slower than a $200 intel now days.
>>
>>53383183
>>53383058

Not that guy, but synolomeme just werks in a lot of cases, it's too bad for him that he bought an se and not a +, you can't even run the mailserver in a civilized manner on the slower ones.
>>
>>53378645
No. They've shipped me motherboards that never had a bios successfully installed. They continued to ship BMCs with known vulns for over a year. They're good on average, but only because they sell so many.
>>
>>53376729
>>53377299
I have a 1440p 25" that works fine at 100%, but I do have to zoom text on a bunch of websites like 4chan to be able to read shit.

The problem with DPI scaling is you get blurry shit scaled images, and then certain fullscreen programs have issues so you have to manually set the launcher to ignore screen scaling and shit.

Overall 1440p is great, but the OS isn't ready to deal with it that well.
>>
>>53383292
perhaps, but in terms of cost effectiveness you're much better off with a 4bay and 4tb drives vs a 2 bay and 8tb drives, etc.

>>53383183
stupid and lazy maybe, but i wouldn't say poor. i mean, can a poor person own a 27" imac? checkmate obama.
>>
>>53384886
yes, they certainly can
stop asking such stupid questions
why do you think every poor person ever uses exclusively apple products
>>
prebuilts are never better than custom made computers. i made my own nas, it's silent, headless and does everything i need without forcing me to pay for features i did not want
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.