[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
identifying bottleneck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
I was recently given a old dell laptop running Ubuntu from my uncle. it still runs fine but is very slow. Would putting an ssd into fix this issue or is the cpu and such just to outdated?

Here are the stats:

Dell Latitude D620
Intel core 2 T5500 1.66ghz
1gb ram

I think it would help but to what degree, I am unsure which is why I am here.

Cheers
>>
i have a similar acer laptop that i use to write code and stuff in class.

Bottleneck is most likely ram.

Mine is tweaked with 4gb of ram but i'd say even with 1gb ram you should be fine if you limit your memory usage.

i'd say you could use about 3 chrome tabs on its own and maybe 2 chrome tabs + whatever lightweight program.

Might be worth expending 30 bucks on 2gb of DDR2 while you still can if your case use is writing stuff and light web browsing.
>>
>>53373403
Try running Lubuntu 14.04. I revived my brother's old toshiba satellite with it and an SSD.
>>
>>53373484
yeah thought of that as soon as i posted so i had a look at ram usage with just facebook open. ram was 1/3 but real suprise was both cores at 100% usage. not sure what is going on. any ideas?
>>
forgot to say i use xubuntu since it's a clean interface and resource usage is light.

I wouldn't say it's super fast , but beats a lot of 2-3 year old laptops i've seen using windows.
>>
>>53373514
Are you using firefox + flash?

Use chrome instead. It has the only up to date flash version , it's also integrated in the browser.

And by chrome i mean Chrome not chromium. If you do any kind of web stuff you'll thank me for this later.
>>
>>53373403
ram is one of the biggest bottlenecks on old systems running some-what current OSes
>>
>>53373504
is it less cpu intensive? because i think that's my bottleneck by the sounds of it.
>>
>>53373547
Yes but flash isn't installed, ill give this a try.
cheers for all this feedback guys.
>>
>>53373547
well google dosnt support 32bit linux so looks like im screwed
>>
>>53373680
t5500s are 64 bit capable , do yourself a favor and get a xubuntu or other lightweight flavor of ubuntu, but get the amd64 one , not the x86.

Gotta run now , just do that , pretty sure it'll run fine.
>>
You might want to switch to Xubuntu.
>>
>>53373403
an SSD would help but really you just have a toaster mate. Lubuntu as someone else suggested is a good idea too.
>>
>>53373403
Try Xubuntu and if it still not enough then try lubuntu. If that doesn't cut it either then get slackware
>>
>>53373403
A perfect laptop for win XP, I wish people spreading "Linux is fast" meme would fuck off, Linux is frequently found on old hardware simply because it's the only hardware it supports. But honestly, the CPU is complete garbage. Try checking whether it's throttling first.
>>
Lubuntu (or LXLE). Xubuntu should be good on it too.

If it were my laptop, I'd install Slackware.
>>
Use arch based distro, with lightweight DE, like cinnamon.
>>
>>53373403
Find some old RAM sticks. Get an SSD. Install Xubuntu.

Next time >>>/wsr/
>>
Do you have swap partition?
>>
File: cmp-all4.png (32 KB, 698x690) Image search: [Google]
cmp-all4.png
32 KB, 698x690
>>53373403
Your bottleneck is UNITY.
USE LXDE, MATE or XFCE.
Also, check out ZRAM

On low memory netbook I used my own modified DWM.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/increased-performance-in-linux-with.html
>>
>>53373567
>>53377600
Yes.
It uses LXDE + Openbox
>>
>>53374948
You are comparing 20 years old OS with modern Linux. It's not very smart.
>>
>>53373403
Put an SSD on it
Put 4gb of Ram
Put windows 10
There, you now have an Useful machine.
>>
>>53377759
>Put windows 10
HAhahahahahahahaha

But seriously OP, you can upgrade RAM and CPU.

Use ViewTube + VLC/HTML5 on Firefox, Ublock and NoScript.

http://isebaro.com/

SSD MEME won't help you when you use SWAP a lot.

T. Expert.
>>
>>53377759
>Put an SSD on it
That's right, anon! SSDs, with their low latency and high R/W speeds are perfect for desktop use!
>Put 4gb of RAM
Again, correct! RAM allows for a greater number of useful programs open at once, as well as more feature-ful, but heavier, DEs.
>Put Windows 10
WHAT THE FUCK ANON YOU PIECE OF SHIT REEEEEEE
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.