[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should i major in computer science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: 476949600-0=.jpg (365 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
476949600-0=.jpg
365 KB, 3000x1688
should i major in computer science?
>>
>>53373395
If it doesn't have engineering in it's name it ain't worth it. On the other hand if you're a retard with no actual talent and competence then do it.
>>
>>53373395
Go for networking and server certification/degree
>>
>>53373395
Absolutely not.
EE/CoE.
>>
>>53373395

sure
>>
>>53373893
EE/CoE?

I am a interest science headed australian but lack the education of knowing what is the best thing to aim for.

I am a serious security minded guy, so my goal is security software using strong and effective algorithms for computing speed.

I also want to make software and frameworks that will aid in the hacking field.

>I want to be a hacker but I want understand the real nasty shit so I can make software to counter it.
>White hat cunt
>>
>>53373893
>EE/CompE
>layoffs literally everywhere in semiconductor industry
>need a minimum of a masters for jobs that you actually want
>H1-B competition almost as bad as in CS

It's true that qualified people will have no trouble finding work. But you, with only a state school bachelor's in EE and little experience or industry recognition, are not that individual.
>>
>>53373395
ayy lmao
why the fuck not, its free
>>
If you find it interesting go for it. You shouldn't have trouble finding a job after graduation lol
>>
>>53374491
What
>>
Do you like money? If yes, major in computer science.
>>
File: UHyderStudents1_LJ_India.jpg (553 KB, 2400x1602) Image search: [Google]
UHyderStudents1_LJ_India.jpg
553 KB, 2400x1602
>>53374620
>>53374646

Yeah! We sure did not have trouble finding a job!
>>
same thread every day. major in asking different questions
>>
>>53374651
Protect yourself, there are plenty of fields in CS that are less vulnerable. I get what you are saying though.
>>
>>53373395
see >>53370678
>>
>>53373395
No Computer Electronics engeneering with networking as a major or BTFO.
>>
File: 1457162748817.jpg (48 KB, 333x342) Image search: [Google]
1457162748817.jpg
48 KB, 333x342
>>53373477
this is bullshit. condensed matter physics doesn't have engineering in it, yet it is making the biggest strides right now

>someone discovered 300k superconductors
>better battery tech
>better materials
>hurr no engineering name!

fuck your shit. here's the best part: physicists getting hired into software developing positions make a higher salary grade than a CS major.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiGz4Sh8bDLAhUjg4MKHdwsA_oQFggiMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.payscale.com%2Fresearch%2FUS%2FJob%3DPhysicist%2FSalary&usg=AFQjCNFZGFS0SbtInsWkYJ1eUQT51Q6uwA
>>
>>53375243
88k for a fucking PhD is awful. People make twice that at Facebook right out of college.
>>
>>53375271
that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. you're gonna compare the entire science industry to facebook...end yourself.
>>
File: 131946134561.jpg (5 KB, 196x250) Image search: [Google]
131946134561.jpg
5 KB, 196x250
>>53374491
what the fuck
>>
>>53375271
pretty sure that Msc. having a PhD in the industry is overkill.
>>
>>53375298
Nope. Literally no one will hire you as a physicist without a PhD. You might be able to get a lowly engineer job.
>>
>>53375243
I'm the one who wrote the post you replied too. Yes, (some) physics degrees are good too.
Engineering is closer to most people than pure physics. Even the plebs can probably manage a shitty engineering degree. They won't understand shit though, especially not the physics behind it, but with a little understanding it will take them them farther.
On the other hand good engineers work in applied physics research groups alongside applied physicists making sensor tech. At least that's the last one I got some insight into.
>physicists getting hired into software developing positions make a higher salary grade than a CS major.
That has been the case for a long time here in Europe. Not just for s. dev. positions, but for certain financial positions they like to hire physicists and mathematicians even for programming because they're better at working with complex financial models. The ever CS grad doesn't even know what a PDE is. Lot of physicists can't find (or don't wan to find) work in their original field so they get into finance. Engineers only do that when they're interested because they generally got a lot more opportunities.
>>
>>53374646
Don't fill this field with more people who don't even care about proving the correctness of their algorithms

CS is dumbed down enough as it is
>>
Serious advice here, OP. CompSci is shit. If you wanted to get shit done do Software Engineering.
>>
>>53375403
So you want him to do an even shittier degree?
>>
>>53375314
are you retarded? there is no industry job that would require a phd if it's not purely research. you would be redoing Msc shit otherwise.
>>
Just major in some obscure shit like bioinformatics.
>>
>>53375314
a phd is needed if you want to be a junior professor, which makes as much as a doctor. saying you need it to be a lowly engineer makes zero sense.
>>
>>53375314
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjprvDk-LDLAhUisIMKHa_yA2IQFgg3MAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.payscale.com%2Fresearch%2FCA%2FDegree%3DMaster_of_Science_(MS)%2C_Physics%2FSalary&usg=AFQjCNG7VPUyCZ6WSH15IUAafoav6oYpFQ
>>
>>53375476
Wow. 63,000 in monopoly money per year. I am so impressed.
>>
>>53375482
nice goalposts faggot. it's called a scale for a reason. also that's just in canada. needless to say, fuck off.
>>
>>53375314
Another physicist being mad at the engineering masterrace who designs and invents tomorrow's technology and directs the top-tier research in the industry.
>physicists working as an engineer
top lel @ regulations.
More like lab technician at best.
>>53375243
>>53375476
You're the same physicsfag considering that you can't properly copy-paste urls. Btw the only MSc job is being in softwaredev. Top kek. Try engineering, probably 50 different jobs physicsfag.
>>
>>53375493
People from 3 month coding bootcamps earn more than that.
>>
>>53374491
White hats are great, they stop the nigger hats from stealing your shit.
>>
>>53375500
except an engineer wouldn't be able to do shit in research involving superconductors and batteries. you would be stuck in the transition metal phase until you croak. i'd rather be at the forefront than get a bump in paygrade doing incremental shit.
>50 different jobs

see this? it's you being indecisive in what you want to do. you're as expendable as the other engineerfags who think this. why should you be picked out?
>>
>>53375503
>3 month bootcamp

put yourself in an employers shoes and realize how pathetic that sounds.
>>
>>53375500
i find it hilarious you bring up regulations because an engineering undergrad wouldn't even be qualified to do R&D until you become a Professional Engineer, which takes 10 years. So you know, you're full of shit. you'd be just as much of a lab technician lol.
>>
>>53375519
50 different jobs doesn't mean you can do all of them. Most guys specialize in something. Also, it must be bad if all you can do is do one thing well, instead of being actually smart and competent and adopt when necessary.
>doing incremental shit.
That must be some boring shit tier engineering job.
>except an engineer wouldn't be able to do shit in research involving superconductors and batteries
They can, they can make your shit work when you can't in practical applications. Apparently those engineering PhD guys don't know shit. Top-tier theoretical research in pure physics is not their stuff though. It's enough for me if I understand everything you write in your papers and find them practical applications you never thought of. Unless you're doing some shitty as physics research then I don't give a shit.
>>53375587
If you don't have an MSc then you shouldn't do anything. Also, not every design engineer fits that much into R&D. The thing is with a physics degree you can never be more than a lab technician.
>>
>>53373395
Why do you have a picture of an alien found in a year 10 textbook?
>>
>>53374491
I'm actually in the same boat as you I was interested in the same field. But I'm wondering if there's anything specific I need to be good at going in.
>>
>>53373395
Don't ask /g/ for life advice. Seriously. If you need help ricing then go ahead and ask but I wouldn't trust major life decisions on a bunch of overweight NEETS. If you're attending community college or a shitty liberal arts school then go ahead.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.