[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need to build Gaming PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5
File: Gaming time.jpg (142 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Gaming time.jpg
142 KB, 1000x1000
I've been playing games on shit graphics and shit framerates for too damn long. It's time for me to build a gaming rig that'll be the best I can get. I have no budget for now.

Can anyone help bring a PC plebeian like me into the the current era?
>>
>>53371406
>I have no budget for now

Get one.
>>
>>53371550
I have no expenses at the moment other that gas, so its not an issue
>>
>>53371550
Then how much can it get to vs how much I should spend?
>>
>>53371563
>>53371597
It really depends on exactly what kind of gaming experience you want.

1080p 60fps etc.
>>
>>53371635
As high as it can get at the current moment dude, like I said money isnt an issue for me
>>
>>53371670
Intel 5960x and sli 980ti you're pretty much set
>>
>>53371704
Those two things come to roughly 1700, thats not including the redt of the pcs innards, so what else should I be getting.
I have no idea what else goes into one sorry
>>
Hopefully this will curb your "As high as it can get" attitude. It can get way more expensive than this too.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9hdRLk

I'd rather put that as a down payment for a car.

This is something much more balanced, yet still powerful.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sfGCf7
>>
>>53371857
Already have a car, but that second one seems more reasonable to be honest.
Would that allow 60fps 1080p?
Would be willing for maybe a 2000$ budget thenn
>>
>>53371893
If you're willing to go slightly over budget, SLI will almost double your graphics power and allow you to do 4K 60fps on most modern titles.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XC967P
>>
>>53371980
Nice, that soubds perfect for me, what am I looking at for a good at least 20 inch moniter?
>>
>>53371742
Get 64gb of ram and also get 3 2000w power supplies and take out the fans in them
>>
>>53372034
Well, any monitor that's 4K and 60hz so you can bring the best out of your rig of course.

It wouldn't make much sense to use this thing for 1080p 60fps since it's stupidly overpowered for it.

Or you could try 1440p 120fps or 144fps and have everything look and feel silky smooth.
>>
>>53372089
Do what with them???
>>
>>53371980
>SLI will almost double your graphics power and allow you to do 4K 60fps on most modern titles
kek

enjoy your microstutter in literally 99% of games.
>>
>>53372121
he's saying you should do some research before asking /g/ because they're not your personal tech support

if you don't know what a cpu socket is you could be told to buy a motherboard that doesn't even fit your cpu by some troll, and buy it because you don't know better, wasting hundreds of dollars, or you might actually follow his advice and remove the fans from your power supply and destroy your computer
>>
>>53372205
Of course you people arent my tech support
But Ive literally nowhere to go to learn about this shit. Where would I look into askibg for this shit then?
>>
>>53372232
This may seem like a foreign concept, but have you tried google?

It's probably even your homepage.
>>
>>53372256
Of course google, and would you please tone down the asshole filter, but which one has the most reliable information for what Im trying to do?
>>
>>53372279
You should try cross-referencing your information, and see what changes across multiple guides and wikis. There is no one website or guide that has it all and is the most accurate.

Take this:>>53371857 for example. It's pretty much the "buy what I got" build. He didn't even ask you which games you play, whether you want to go 120/144hz, or whether you stream or edit video, but recommends a whole bunch of shit suited to a specific outcome. Unless you know what you want, you're not going to get the best build for your money.
>>
>>53372232
Read the sticky
Logicalincrements.com
Pcpartpicker.com
>>
>>53372326
Primarily I game league, but of course I cant only play that garbage game, I do want to branch out to gtaV maybe battlefield and such.
But thanks for the info man.
>>
>>53372326
also I might add if you're really at the point where you have no upper limit on your budget you should consider things like a 30"+ screen, DAC+amp+headphones, bookshelf speakers, and mechanical keyboards.
>>
>>53372232
I learned almost everything from lurking and youtube
>>
>>53372351
Then you should figure out what kind of hardware you will need for those games, whether SLI will introduce microstuttering for them, and whether you need a cpu with hyperthreading or not.
>>
>Not a single complaint about no AMD builds....
>I wonder why....
>>
>>53372348
This
>>
>>53372353
I already know what keyboard I want to get, and a monitor should be easy once i figure out my cpu shit.
>>53372387
Im not 100% into framerates, hell Ive been gaming on 13-20 fps all my life so I dont really care much.
But Ive still got loads to read up on so I might find a all round graphics machine to make
>>
>>53372184
SLI support has come a long way over the years. I'll admit that some games do stutter, but you can fix most, if not all, of it with a gsync monitor
>>
>>53372506
Is your budget strictly $2000?
>>
>>53372520
Na, ive been saving amd will probably havr to save more for what I want. But now I guess Im not looking for what to build untill I have a good Idea of what to build first
>>
>>53372533
Saving money and*
>>
>>53372506
>I already know what keyboard I want to get, and a monitor should be easy once i figure out my cpu shit.
TN
IPS
VA
Which one do you want?

>Im not 100% into framerates, hell Ive been gaming on 13-20 fps all my life so I dont really care much.
First thing you need to do is find a local store with 120/144hz monitors and get them to let you test them. You should experience what's out there before deciding it's not worth it.

>>53372507
>buy our proprietary technology to stop issues our video cards instigated in the first place
Or not. They could just fix the fucking problem in the first place.
>>
>>53372533
>Im not looking for what to build untill I have a good Idea of what to build first
Good luck in your endeavors anon. It's rare to see someone actually listen to advice they didn't want to hear.
>>
File: xC3qdct-compressor.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
xC3qdct-compressor.gif
2 MB, 480x360
>>53371406
>no budget
Might as well spend your money on the most expensive prebuilt desktop you can find
>>
>>53372556
Idk what that shit means yet lol, I still have a bit to read up on before making that decision.
>>53372567
Hey man, this shit isnt 1 size fits all so I clearly need to learn this shit before i make a shit decision, right?
>>53372570
Fuck that shit dude, theyve got overpriced shit for stuff that isnt extra fancy, I just said that to get an Idea of what I can and should buy.
>>
>>53372556
The microstuttering was most likely a problem with the maxwell architecture and can't just be fixed by a driver update
>>
>>53372641
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KrewSlayer/saved/#view=dKXKHx
This would be a pretty good do anything pc. I left out OS so you could choose between whatever windows you want and I tried to keep a theme for it as best I could
>>
>>53372657
It would be a good place to start looking after your research and then you could modify the build to suit your wants and needs
>>
>>53372657
Ill keep this one in mind after I get "educated" in this subject bro. Thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>53372642
>implying i said that was the only solution

I don't know if you're even trying to understand the really quite simple problem here anon.

There's a problem with the way two graphics cards work when playing games which introduces microstutter.
>it doesn't matter what the problem is, it is clearly with SLI technology, which is all that is relevant
Instead of fixing this issue within the video cards, nvidia decides that the solution is to buy more stuff from them.
>It doesn't matter what that solution is, or whether they can only fix it for the next generation of cards, because their current solution is "buy more of our stuff" which is greedy and doesn't fix the issue.
>>
>>53372657
>1600w psu

this is the "get what I have" shit I'm talking about
>>
>>53372692
I understand your point and I do know how SLI works. It's just an issue with the current architecture and how it generates some lag when pushing rendered frames since the SLI gpus render every other frame
>>
G-Sync does nothing to fix SLI microstutter, dunno what the fuck you fags are on about.

Any Multi GPU setup will induce frame time microstutter by it's nature, nothing you can do about it. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with specific GPU architectures. If anything it's the API that needs work to fix this.
>>
>>53372716
No, that is allowing room for upgrading to add more graphics cards down the road if it becomes neccesary
>>
I do have to ask though, is Win10 at all an issue? Ive been using on my crap laptop and its done nothing but increase its speed and stop its freezing simce win8.10
>>
>>53372776
Depends who you ask. I like windows 10 mostly, but windows 7 is your safest bet with all the paranoia, except it will bug you to upgrade to 10 anyways unless you choose not to add that specific update
>>
>>53372738
I definitely feel like an improvement in how the architecture communicates with a multi gpu setup could fix the issue completely like maybe not just some retarded ass bridge
>>
Alright, im out for the night fellow anons, and thanks for the help too. I may come back later once I have all this shit figured out.
>>
>>53372748
but you would need 4 of them to require a 1600w power supply
>>
>>53372738
>please consider buying our proprietary technology anyway
>we know you want higher framerates but honestly we don't care
>30fps is really smooth we promise
>>
Iv'e got the same problem as this guy, but I do have a budget, roughly $1000 (AUS). This is what I have in mind from what is available, it's probably shit though. I already have the CPU (i7 4770 @3.4 GHz) and my storage sorted. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/4Nmsyc.
>>
>>53373399
>CPU Cooler
Hyper 212 EVO or bust.

>Sound Card
The fuck you need a Sound card for?

Everything else is fine.
>>
File: Pictures.jpg (98 KB, 791x962) Image search: [Google]
Pictures.jpg
98 KB, 791x962
>>53371406
Here is cheapo computer.
for your budget
>>
>>53373469

Kek
>>
>>53373399
>get a hyper 212 evo instead
>motherboard is overkill
>get a bigger psu for future upgrades
>why the fuck a sound card
>>
>>53375088
Was fucking around trying to get the price exactly 1000.
>>
>>53371857
The reasonable build could have done with a 750 PSU at most, even with all of that stuff and the 980 ti. Good build other than that.

Motherboard probably could have been scaled back - most of those slots and features even 1337 gamers don't need.
>>
>>53371406
Go on Alienware and look at their best products.
Then, if you don't want to spend $3000, note the hardware they use, buy it and assemble it yourself.
Then, if you don't want to spend $2000, do it again with only one GC, take a moment to compare processors and find the motherboard that fit.

You just built the best gaming PC in the world for $1000, but you can do better.

Only buy a CPU that match you current socket, some RAM and a GC that will keep working a few years. You just made an excellent gaming PC for $500.
>>
>>53371857
>$1000 processor
No. Just no. The absolute best cost $300. Even AMD make a 4GHz 8core with fuckton of cache for $250. You can do better for much, much cheaper.
>>
>>53375342
Define absolute best with a specific CPU, please. I'm looking at the 6600k right now for gaming/general workstation needs.
>>
>>53375323
Link related, if I was going to upgrade my PC right now, this is what I would buy.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/72qFBm
>>
>>53375369
There is no real "best" because it depend of what you need, but if we are going to speak only about performance, take this one:
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd9590fhhkwof
It does not come without it's defaults, like the 220W TDP, but it kick much more asses than the 3GHz turtle posted here, and it does not cost one grand.

And speaking of AMD, the AM4 is supposed to be released very soon.
>>
>>53375342
>Even AMD make a 4GHz 8core
>8core
[citation needed]
>>
>>53375561
>>
>>53375588
As much an 8 core cpu as a 6700k or 4790k.
>>
>>53375600
The 8350 have 8 cores. The 6700k and the 4790k have 4. How many FPS they rend on a given game is one thing but the number of core is a fact.
>>
>>53375673
>The 8350 have 8 cores
Again, [citation needed]
The 8350 does not have 8 full cores. It has 8 "cores" in the same way that a quadcore i7 has 8 threads.
>>
>>53375682
You know how old CPUs only had integer cores and no FPUs. Do you consider them 0 core CPUs?
>>
>>53375715
We're not talking about old CPUs here, are we ?
Old CPUs not having FPUs doesn't change the fact that the 8350 doesn't have 8 full cores by modern standards, and therefore cannot be compared to the 5960X which does have 8 full cores.

Even if you disable hyperthreading, a 5960X will blow the 8350 out of the water because 8350 is effectively a quadcore CPU.
>>
>>53375762
You mean there is only 4 ALU in the 8350?
>>
File: Tutankhamunale.jpg (2 MB, 1728x2304) Image search: [Google]
Tutankhamunale.jpg
2 MB, 1728x2304
>>53371406
A good way to start would be asking on /wsr/, they're better for this kind of stuff than /g/.

Since you're already here however, what are your current system's specs? What games do you want to play? How much are you willing to spend?
>>
>>53375818
4 modules, 2 integer cores in each. This does not equal 8 full cores because the cores in each module are sharing resources.
See: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1e8226/discussion_amds_module_architecture_the_fx_8350/
>>
>>53375939
So, they have 4 modules containing 2 ALU each and just share some cache?
It still look like a 8 "cores with shared resources", 4,7Ghz processor for $220 is a better investment than a 8 full cores 3GHz for $1000.
>>
>>53375323
>Only buy a CPU that match you current socket, some RAM and a GC that will keep working a few years. You just made an excellent gaming PC for $500.

Nigga plz, the CPU and GPU by themselves would add up to $500 here, and that's if you settled for a midrange GPU and an i5. A good motherboard would be another $150-200, and a good set of RAM sticks would be another $100-150. Then again, this is all going by Canadian prices, and things have probably gone up since the value of our dollar went down. The Canadian government should just swallow its pride and adopt the US dollar, but print it on the same cool polymer bills we use for our currency now.
>>
>>53375837
Absolute shit my boy, a6-5350 apu w radeon 2.90 gh
Its a store bought laptop from 2011.
Only real reason zi got it was because it was dirt cheap
>>
>>53372232
i learned everything i know about pc hardware from /g/ but you can't believe everything you're told. that's how you get buyer's remorse
>>
I'm not OP but what are good brands to buy a PSU from?
>>
>>53376484
Also that comes with a whopping 4gb of ram...
>>
>>53376084
Okay, I was speaking in USD. Obviously $500 won't give you a beast and you won't run the latest game on 1920*1080 at 60 fps, but you get a very decent PC gaming.
>>
Ok OP, no matter how many people will tell you this is bs: buy a Intel i5 6400 CPU. Non K. It's enough for literally every game right now and you can overclock it, even the non-K models. You will never get more price performance.
>>
go with an intel/nvidia build if you have the dosh to do so.
start with a socket 1151 motherboard, that's very important. the cpu should be an i5 or i7 that fits the motherboard
if you're happy to spend big bucks make sure you get a 980ti or two if you're crazy.
get 16gigs of ram because its cheap anyway, who gives a shit if it might not all get used
then just add in the other bits that you like according to the chart here
http://www.logicalincrements.com/newuserguide
>>
>>53372506
Be sure to do your research on your keyboard, Buying a Logitech or Razer just because they're promoted in game streams doesn't mean they're any good, in fact, most mech keyboard enthusiasts despise them. Razer specifically is overpriced garbage, and known for breaking down, key chatter, etc. Logitech isn't the worst, but Omron switches are almost as bad as kailh switches (in razer). Even a cheap $60 Rosewill board is better than any Logitech or Razer board.
Figure out if you're going TKL, 60%, or full-sized, figure out which switches you'd prefer (Cherry, Gateron, Zeal, Alps, Topre, Buckling Spring) and move forward from there.
If you're looking for top-end, Realforce boards are quite nice but pricey. Leopold makes a solid 60%-ish board. Custom boards like the GH60 are very well known and highly sought after. The WhiteFox custom is a crowd favorite.
The list goes on and on.
Just be sure to do your research.
Also, don't just buy something because /g/ says it's good. Building a computer is genuinely not a difficult task, you just need to figure out how parts interact with each other, and you really don't need any technical know-how to do that. Sure, it's better to understand the workings of the computer, and if you have the chance, you should certainly do your research in that area, but it's incredibly easy to find part interactions with simple Google searches.
What I'm getting at is that you should learn the basics before making any purchase here. You don't need to go in depth and learn everything about RAM timings and the likes (though, you should), but you do need to learn the real basics, and most guides online will walk you through that process.
>>
>>53371893
Trust me, get this. I have that card and I'm stuck with a 1080p 60hz monitor while my 980ti is spitting out 2-300+ fps without the fans even turning on. Def snag a higher res/frequncy display if you're spending that much on a GPU. Also it will cut through the Oculus like butter if that's your thing Mr. Moneybags.
>>
Man I did not know pc gaming was so expensive. If spending 8 - 900 dollars only gets me something midrange that I will have to upgrade in 2 - 3 years, then pc gaming is sadly not for me.
>>
>>53377071
>you will never get more price performance
>not talking about AMD FX 8350 or 6300
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.