[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /g/, my WRT54G has served me well, but the times are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Linksys_WRT54G_V1.jpg (133 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Linksys_WRT54G_V1.jpg
133 KB, 640x480
Alright /g/, my WRT54G has served me well, but the times are changing and I need something with more bands and gigabit ports.
What is the modern equivilent of this legendary ancient relic? Bonus points if it supports custom firmwares.
>>
>>53369347
archer c5/c7/c9
>>
>>53369347
Bumping for interest!
>>
>>53369347
Why would you even buy your own router in this day and age?
>>
>>53369384
most isp routers are a shit
>>
>>53369384
What's the other option? Building my own?
>>
some tp-link with gargoyle or dd-wrt or openwrt
get them while the bootloaders are still unlocked

alternatives: get a netgear or an asus but make sure they have support for custom firmware first. or build your own.

I have a WDR-4300 with gargoyle running on it, works beautifully. bought a WDR1043N a while ago too, to stock up from the routerpocalypse
>>
>>53369421
actually yes, get a nice low power i3 xeon with a motherboard with a few pci-e 16x slots and some intel quad gigabit nics and pfsense
you just built a router that will literally never die
>>
>>53369532
Too costly, I've already Frankenstein away all my spare hardware short of a mid-tier fermi video card and a budget sound card.
>>
>>53369347

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buyerguide
>>
>>53369434
>dd-wrt

That shit overwhelming. I set it to access point. Get IP but webpages do not work. I am glad I bought a 20 dollar modem to test this out
>>
>>53369532
bullshit homie just get a jetway
>>
>>53369860
i tend to go the simple route just pointing out it can be done

tp-link acher c7
>>
>>53369759

If you set it to access point, you need to point it to your router.

Sometimes it also helps to plug into your second device on the LAN ports rather than the WAN.

Otherwise:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
>>
>>53369610
Not the guy you're responding to, but: go online and buy a p4 or Athlon X2 workstation for 80 jewbux and put $40 worth of NIC and hard drive in it. Fucking done.
>>
Asus RT-AC68U running Asuswrt-Merlin
>>
>>53369371
this
>>
New routers (in the US) are going to be required to disallow any user modifications to firmware as per FCC regulations.
>>
>>53370837
You're going to have to cite your sources there, bud. This is nothing new and doesn't cause enough harm to cause federal intervention.
>>
>>53370837

You bought that meme, didn't you?
>>
>>53369384
>Have Google Fiber.
>Use own router with GS108T.
>99.9% stable connection.
>Friends are constantly going offline with botnetbox.

top kek
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.