[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows XP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
Anyone still using it?
I am still using pic related.
Any cons/pros?
>>
>>53364588
pros: no hidden Win10 updates
cons: not even 64bit, go with the times, grandpa
>>
>>53364588
You have two choices:
1. Be a part of some russian/chinese botnet
2. Be a part of the Microsoft botnet

The choice is yours...
>>
>>53364783
3. Install GNU/Linux and be free
>>
>>53364789
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>53364588
I can only think about the cons of using Windows at all. Download GNU/Linux and be happy, pal.
>>
my comp is old as fuk
still run xp on it cause hardware doesnt allow me to update to a newer version, I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtdTvPeBSug
>>
only pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79oNuFPWkc0

that and the default wallpaper.
>>
File: remote desktop.png (34 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
remote desktop.png
34 KB, 800x600
It's on my netbook which I use remotely as a Firefox/Chrome fileshare downloader for slow downloads that take several hours (to hoard Japanese mother-incest / mature woman adult videos from fileshare sites like filejoker, rapidgator, etc.). I don't use my desktop for that because there's always the risk of Firefox getting a memory leak and crashing when it gets above 2GB memory usage.
>>
>>53364957
>there's always the risk of Firefox getting a memory leak and crashing when it gets above 2GB memory usage.

Never happened to me since Firefox 1.5
>>
>Pros
Fast.
No ads or botnet.

>Cons
No (or really crappy) multi-core CPU support.
64-bit edition is reputedly not worth your time.
Need to download install ClearType support manually, as it's not included with the system.
You'll have to patch a specific DLL file if you want to use custom themes.
No longer updated.

XP is still usable if you have a single-core toaster oven. Just be sure to install a firewall, and maybe some antivirus software if you plan to download anything questionable. You might also want to disable some of the more vulnerable services, like Remote Desktop or Remote Registry. There's no reason to use anything like that ever.
>>
>>53365200
>no SATA
bullshit

>no hardware acceleration on the UI
What's the point? There are no fancy effects needing it either.
>>
>>53364588
>Anyone still using it?
Yes
>I am still using pic related.
You just answered your own question
>Any cons/pros?
many cons
compatibility with old shit is the only pro XP has for it
>>
File: no_way_out.jpg (254 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
no_way_out.jpg
254 KB, 1920x1200
2009 Thinkpad.
I tried and almost fell for something more recent, but seeing 1366x768 panels everywhere don't make me want to get anything else.

Windows is now either bloatware (win7) or a botnet (8 and 10)
Linux is free but I don't have free time to bother with that shit, also, freedom is a lie, wether you are dependent of Microsoft or a community of geeks who decide what to put in your OS makes now no difference.
So it ends here for the OS versus OS. XP remains the best and will end the one and only, just like Gentoo which is still free from systemd.
>>
>>53365200
XP X64 exist, last version was more recent than the first version of Win7 64bit.
XP fully support SATA 1,2, and 3rd generation
XP supports USB3
XP is still designed for people who work. Or want something reliable.
Mobilizing DirectX resource for the interface is dumb as hell when you actually need it, especially when gaming.
Sweet Celestia you are either a good troll or retarded, ask for someone to suicide you.
>>
>>53365200
>no hardware acceleration on the UI
This is false, it uses GDI hardware acceleration.

>Windows 7 with Classic theme
This on the other had is slower than XP since it truly does everything in software because they removed GDI acceleration from Windows 7. It also makes it look like shit with tearing and flicker.
>>
MS08-067 ?
>>
File: make-xp-again.png (249 KB, 540x517) Image search: [Google]
make-xp-again.png
249 KB, 540x517
I'm still using Windows XP, because it works, and it does what I want it to, and it looks better than those newer operating systems. I'm also running it on a laptop made by HP that I bought in 2004.

I've tried Vista, Windows 7, 8, and 10, and didn't like any of them. So unless Microsoft releases something like XP again, I'm going to have to switch to either Apple's OS or a version of Linux.
>>
>>53367158
Was in similar situation last year and switched to Linux.

Like it so much now I'm not gonna switch back, even if they make something like XP again.
>>
dell dimension 8400 here.

it's good. i just got this pc for $9 at a thrift store last weekend, the only thing i need is a new gpu because this one is so fucked it cant even play duke nukem 3d properly. but it's good for what i need it for which is old vidya and occasional 4ch browsing.
>>
I have an XP box I use for running old games, but I don't take it on the Internet. It's not secure anymore and XP-era hardware is getting too old to handle today's websites.
>>
>>53365402
>compatibility with old shit is the only pro XP has for it
There we go.
>>
>>53367538
literally everyone uses xp for old vidya
>>
>>53367583
'Cept for the occasional picky stuff that needs real Windows 9x.
>>
>>53364588
>>53364588
>>53364588
>>53364588
>>53364588

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAkuJXGldrM
>>
>>53367614
slave zero and everything DOS
>>
>>53364588
Please kill yourself and take your infected internet-connected computer with you.
>>
>>53364957
Share some sites so I can check If they have viruses
>>
File: file.jpg (62 KB, 729x960) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
62 KB, 729x960
>>53364588
>>53364887
>>53364914
>>53364957
>>53365402
>>53365541
>>53367158

https://youtu.be/-aEvWN2B9cA

Enjoy your botnet...
>>
>>53367669
Just use DOSBox for DOS shit.
>>
>>53364588
POSReady 2009 is good
>>
>>53367717
Are you seriously thinking the remaining adults here on /g/ would leave the dubious MS services that allow such attacks running in background? OR not knowing shit about the basics?
I don't even have or need an antivirus. While you, you would quickly brick Win10 by opening a random .exe file coming in your email.

>>53368249
...Once completed, ReactOS will be even better.
>>
>>53368329
>...Once completed, ReactOS will be even better.
Too bad that development has not progressed much since fucking 2008
>>
>>53368329
>>>53367717 (You)
>Are you seriously thinking the remaining adults here on /g/ would leave the dubious MS services that allow such attacks running in background? OR not knowing shit about the basics?

...he asks, on a thread started by a guy asking who else is still using windows xp.

Yes, I believe at least half the people on here would do exactly that.
>>
>>53365660
>>Celestial
>>Silver Spoon
>>>/mlp/
Kill yourself
>>
>>53368442
While you're at it, kill yourself for having known that...
>>
>>53364588
Run it on older systems, mainly my P4 file archivers. Decent compatibility of course, but it doesn't look as good as 2000, nor does it feel as rock solid.

>>53364771
XP has multiple 64-bit versions, it even runs natively on Itanium chips.
>>
>>53368580
>XP has multiple 64-bit versions
But driver support is practically non existent for consumer computers.
>>
>>53369868
And?
>>
>>53369969
That's what most people have, get the delusion that you are some kind of network administrator out of your head.
>>
>>53370000
>get the delusion that you are some kind of network administrator out of your head.
The fuck? You can buy high-end workstations from the heyday of XP for as little as $10 now, even in the context of the time, why would you have wanted to run it on some lobotomized bargain bin walmart shitbox that can't even take advantage of it? It wasn't made for that shit, the same way Vista wasn't made to run on the slotted Pentium III shitboxes with 256 MB of RAM that its critics were attempting to install it on.
>>
>>53364588
Just install windows 7 and turn off the unnecessary shit.
There's no reason to be using that old shit anymore - it's very vulnerable.
>>
>>53370437
>worried about OS vulnerabilities
>uses fucking Windows in the first place

XP still receives security patches with a registry hack anyway, it's surely a little more inherently vulnerable than a newer version but if you're not a total dumbass it won't kill you.
>>
>>53367634
Dude what.
>>
File: 1456009870879.png (665 KB, 540x812) Image search: [Google]
1456009870879.png
665 KB, 540x812
>>53368489
>>>/mlp/ is the perfect cringe thread.
>>
>>53364957
I have a similar netbook and use it to download torrents with a VPN. I just use transmission's web gui to manage it and ssh + ftp when it's needed.
>>
>>53365771
Oh wow, I remember this KB article. The damn patch for this broke one of the Report Viewer components on XP. Had to decline it on the WSUS server. Fucking Microsoft...
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.