[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good first programming language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: faggot.jpg (694 KB, 1274x715) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
694 KB, 1274x715
What's a good first programming language?
>>
haskell
>>
visual foxpro
>>
>>53363399
Litterally anything you want.
>>
python
>>
>implying /g/ can program
>>
Java

Tons of documentation.

Tons of support.

Tons of tutorials.
>>
>>53363399
In school we started with Pascal, then moved to C.

They were pretty easy.
>>
>>53363495
and tons of functions for every single thing. Oh you want to execute a file you need to invoke the FileExecutorClass... bleh.
>>
>>53363399
if you want to be a programmer C++
if you want to be paid more because you know how to program or if you want to work in business sector you should learn PYTHON also VBA is very useful.
>>
>>53363534
lol fart libraries are for poo in loos and women not REAL MEN
>>
>>53363553
I would also have to add that parallel to your programming study you should do a complete mathematical study, use Khan Academy to test your level, it's a good starting place, later on as you recover what you lack in mathematics you can search around for the popular/important math books to learn the complex mathematical concepts - YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND math not solve math problems like a machine, as a programmer you need to think trough math concepts.

Programming is a modern language, it's very strong but it alone won't make you a top programmer, you have to configure your brain to be as sharp as it can be, mainly mathematics is the only thing which help you.
>>
>>53363602
i would also add something else - If you truly want to be a programmer, start now DON'T WASTE A FUCKING second... in just a minute you can do so much...

for c++ use:

Bjarne Stroustrup, Programming Principles and Practice Using C++ 2014 edition.
>>
>>53363553
>if you want to be paid more because you know how to program or if you want to work in business sector you should learn PYTHON also VBA is very useful.

I work in a big corporation and I code in JavaScript and SQL. Please kill me.
Seriously though, if you wanna get employment, you need some experience with databases as well. Java , C# and C++ are most commonly used(in that order), but I'd recommend learning C++ first.
>>
Forth. Language is very simple, you can fully understand how it works and even write your own realisation from bare metal.

http://www.forth.com/starting-forth/
>>
>>53363554
This is 100% true
>>
>>53363399

BASIC
>>
Python is he best.
>>
C

It will teach how how a computer actually computes. The intuition from writing C helps in writing good code in other languages
>>
Tcl
>>
>>53363399
Learning to program is independent of language. People get so worked up about languages here because it's the only way they can pretend to know what they're talking about. Pick the one with the coolest name, it doesn't matter, just start working.
>>
File: rustacean-orig.png (53 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
rustacean-orig.png
53 KB, 1200x800
>>53363989

>not using Rust in 2k16
>>
>>53363399

Go with the classics:
ALGOL, FORTRAN, COBOL, Lisp
>>
>>53363399
Python and Java
>>
>>53364084
>rust
Really Ugly and Shitty Tomfoolery

r8
>>
Python. Very easy to write, read and learn and works great for you introdction to algorithms and datastructures.
>>
>>53363399
C
>>
>>53363495
>Java
Only if you want him to kill himself.
Python, Visual Basic.Net, C#, heck even batch files can teach you something.
>>
File: whyton.png (114 KB, 796x465) Image search: [Google]
whyton.png
114 KB, 796x465
Since very few people in this thread care to give arguments, I'll get you some for python.

Please be reminded that it doesn't matter _that_ much but
1. If you easily lose motivation, obviously, start with something easy (Python/Ruby over C/Haskell/COBOL)
2. If you have a goal to achieve in the near future (like web or microcontrollers) go with something that is at least close or has some kind of popular supporting libraries for this (not web in C, not microcontrollers in ruby), as there will be examples to learn from in your language
3. Go with something popular and well-documented. Modern-day tutorials are much more convenient than the "Assembly programmers handbook" or some document on fortran written on a typewriter in 101AD
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.