[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>get new power supply >dies after 3 weeks >look inside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: DSC_0436.jpg (1 MB, 1948x1638) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0436.jpg
1 MB, 1948x1638
>get new power supply
>dies after 3 weeks
>look inside
>leaking capacitor

mother fucker.
>>
Let me guess, it was cheap?
>>
>>53362156
Corsair cx600m

Not the cheapest thing out there.
>>
Was it refurbed ?
>>
>>53362198
Brand new.

Just bad luck really.
>>
>>53362180
>>53362211

Send it back, should be under warranty.

Next time i'd suggest going with something Gold Rated or higher. It's only a power consumption guideline, but generally to reach more efficiency they need to use higher quality parts. Plus you'll save more money overtime on your power bill anyway.
>>
>>53362266
if you know jack shit about PSUs, this is actually a decent heuristic.

You do have to look out for people that game the system - I have seen some truly terrible gold supplies - but in general yeah, the higher the efficiency rating, the better the part will be at

- having decent internals
- not killing itself with its own heat
- actually contributing to the cooling of your system rather than the inverse.
>>
An obvious lemon.

Just RMA it.
>>
>>53362109
whats a capaciter? was the water damage bad when it leaked?
>>
>>53362109
What's the branding on it? If it's anything other than Nichicon, Rubycon, Nippon Chemicon, or Panasonic it's garbage.

Also check temperature ratings 85C is garbage. You want caps rated for something like 2000hrs@105C minimum.
>>
File: badcapsjar2012.jpg (207 KB, 512x1024) Image search: [Google]
badcapsjar2012.jpg
207 KB, 512x1024
That's not a leaking capacitor, that's a marking made before they slapped the sticker on. Capacitors in that format are usually slightly round-topped from factory; that one is not your problem.

Source: I own this jar.
>>
File: 1456976489050.jpg (31 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
1456976489050.jpg
31 KB, 600x462
>>53362266
>power supply ratings are quality ratings
>>
>>53365722
Furry?
>>
I don't see any indication of a bad cap. There might be one but you can't tell from just that alone.

Cheap supplies tend to use decent caps on the input side(for the big caps) and cheapshit caps on the output stages(little caps). That looks like a big cap so if your PSU is somewhat reputable then it wouldn't make sense for that cap to fail before the smaller ones unless the entire PSU was a chinese piece of shit.
>>
>>53365829
That's a screwdriver.
>>
File: badcapsjarpouredout.jpg (974 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
badcapsjarpouredout.jpg
974 KB, 1920x1280
>>53365829
Bow down before me.
>>
>>53365722
10/10. Reliable source confirmed.
>>
>>53366019
inb4 we summon ffcossag
>>
>>53366019
Heh I used to have a collection like that from boards I scrapped but I tossed most of the cheap teapo and yaego and elna caps out.
>>
Next time check johnnyguru
>>
>>53365722
+1 confirmed.

In any case, just RMA that shit, don't worry about the cause, it's not your problem. It's very obviously under warranty.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.