[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
convince me not to reinstall windows... i wanna get into game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Artillery Game.png (330 KB, 1209x607) Image search: [Google]
Artillery Game.png
330 KB, 1209x607
convince me not to reinstall windows...

i wanna get into game dev but my laptop has arch with all the encryption shit loaded on it... so id bretty much have to wipe it to put windows back on it

and i have the stupid pain in the ass nvidia/intel hyrbrid graphixxx
>>
Alright faggot /g/ and you faggot mods that love the faggots on /g/. Rip OP a new one.
>>
If you want to develop software, why the hell would you switch to windows?
>>
>>53361694
You don't belong here.
>>
>I wanna get into game dev
Better invest your time in something else.
>pain in the ass hybrid
Hasn't been a problem since PRIME.
>>
>>53361772
mm well windows has some better options for game dev specifically although linux is catching up real fast.. but its still a pain in the ass compared to windows

for example.. photo shop and 3ds max and unreal engine installs way faster and has less issues on windows

also visual studio :P
>>
I have an optimus setup with Arch, works fine.
>>
>>53361772
There are plenty of IDEs for Windows...
>>
>>53361804
>Better invest your time in something else.

why rain on my parade anon

and yeah prime is great blah blah blah i know dude
>>
>>53361694
>so id bretty..
You don't belong here.
>>
>>53361914
>yeah prime is great blah blah blah i know
You don't belong here.
>>
>>53361830
Because you have to on windows.
You cannot have more than one window open per physical screen, so you must cram everything into one screen.
You have better tools on linux, valgrind, gdb and a window manager that doesn't trip over itself.
>>
File: MxfYwAy.jpg (21 KB, 346x347) Image search: [Google]
MxfYwAy.jpg
21 KB, 346x347
>>53361694
The overused engines Unreal and Unity3d have native Linux packages.
>>
>>53361914
If you want to get into the game dev biz, be my guest. You're better off investing time in application or server development.
>>
>>53361920
>>53361945
jesus fucking christ dude you pretentious mother fucker.. sorry im not a fucking l33t hax0r faggot just some casual sry ive offended the great leet fucking wizards of /g again jesus fucking christ you guys

>>53362020
>>53362028
thnx i was really just wanting someone to tell me im not good enough to really need the features of photoshop and 3ds max YET cause im too lazy to go through all the crap installing windows and burning fucking recovery dvds or what the fuck ever
>>
>>53362042
but im a shitty pogrammer ATM i thought maybe i could wing it with some art and the blue print system from UE

but yeah i also wanted to try some 3d animation and stuff you know just to see if its something i might like investing my time into cause programming is really hard for me but yeah i know about blender and gimp obvi :P
>>
>>53361694
pacman -S qemu-kvm virt-manager
>>
>>53362108
If you haven't tried valgrind yet, try it out.
It has a lot of different tools, I really like the massif, where you can visualize the heap, tracking down where you spend your memory.
>>
>>53362108
Are you underage anon? You sound underage.
>>
>>53362212
>I want to program games
>fell for a meme os
>gimping himself with it on purpose

Tbh he probably is
>>
>>53362150
looks kewl dude thnx

>>53362171
nice but im not quite ready for stuff like that yet

>>53362212
>>53362338
no im not but yeah obviously im not some super tech pro yet im just learning shit man we all have to start somewhere so be nice okay :P

and arch is way cool bro its not a meme :P and idk what you mean by gimping
>>
>>53362380
>:P
Either you're a woman or a kid. Judging by the fact that you're too stupid for Arch, you're a kid.
>>
but yeah on a more serious note... will removing my user account on a windows 7 enterprise machine be good enough to destroy all the evidence or do i really need to completely wipe the drive and reinstall windows.. the guy using the computer next at my internship is a total nerd and i dont want him to see what ive been doing
>>
>>53362418
:^) why so serious anon
>>
I've been using Windows 10 since it released. Been using Windows since the 90s

Don't get Windows OP. Think of me like a smoker telling you not to take up smoking.
>>
>>53362418
>>
>>53361812
nah you're just a faggot
>>
You'd be surprised at how many developers, even linux developers use windows.
>>
>>53361694
Just dual boot like a normal person. Spend 98.5% of your time in Linux and the rest in Indows.
>>
>>53362601
yeah but i have all these encrypted partitions virtual whatever something LUKS i forget and shit.. reinstalling everything is gonna be a pain
>>
>>53362704
I'm not super familiar with encryption, but can you not copy encrypted partitions bit-by-bit via dd or clonepart or clonezilla?
>>
>>53361694
>convince me not to reinstall windows...
Well, learn the vulkan API. It's multiplat and Linux provides a far better developing environment.
>>
>>53362760
i guess i could resize them and remount them... i did it once with an ubuntu live usb but also installing windows after linux is supposed to be a bad idea or atleast prone to taking a lot of time because the windows boot manager deletes grub or something

well any way i think that it would be a pain and i was thinking about maybe just getting an external hard drive and setting it up as a windows-to.go drive
>>
>>53362842
I just fooled with this recently. I had a drive with Linux on it I'd spent a lot of time customizing and wanted to retain it, but needed Windows. I was moving to a different drive, so I just installed Windows like normal on the new disk, then resized my linux partition, cloned it over, created a swap partition, chrooted in to install grub, and fixed fstab for the new swap.

I assume if you installed Windows afterwards, there'd be a bit of trickery and reinstalling grub anyway.

All in all It was my first time doing anything like that but it wasn't too bad. I'd think an external would lag like shit. If you got one of those micro USB3 drives that barely stick out a few mm, it might not be horrible.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.