[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
E-Ink Readers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: e-ink.jpg (10 KB, 300x177) Image search: [Google]
e-ink.jpg
10 KB, 300x177
Anyone got one of these? I need to read things and my tablet makes my eyes hurt over time. Its short battery is annoying and in general the screen timing out constantly is a pain. Turning that off will just make the battery worse.

So I have been looking at e-readers. Are they any good? The battery life looks great and they are supposed to be easier on the eyes.

Anyone recommend a certain model? I dont want to be stuck with a locked down device. Ill only use it for reading but I want to be able to use my own ebook files. I dont mind converting formats but I dont want to be stuck in some walled garden ecosystem.

Whats everyone reading on.
>>
>>53360595
KOBO
O
B
O

GLO
L
O

HD
D
>>
>>53360595

I should add that google just shows me people recommending amazon and barns and noble. I kinda worried about some locked down device from them.
>>
>>53360595
>buy cheap e-reader
>torrent all your books online
>run through program to convert to e-reader format
>¿¿¿¿¿
>comfy and cheap reading experience
>>
Btw I have a cheap Kindle works fine with converted files.
>>
>>53360615

kek

I checked amazon and they have them on their site but they put their reader right next to them in the search results.

>>53360658
This would be the idea

>>53360674
Thats nice the paperweight is only 99 but I was worried about this. I could see them locking you into their online store and I didnt want to buy something I have to root.
>>
>>53360693
Amazon don't care, or have any way to know what's on your local device. You can turn off the WiFi if you are paranoid.
>>
If you want an open reader get a Kobo. You can even change the internal storage on some models and change the reader software on all of them.

I still use a kobo mini cuz its cheap and portable (like 20 dollars)
>>
Kindle Paperwhite. Bought 3 books from the site to see because I was curious.
Loaded the remaining using Calibre.
No advantage buying books, so the Wi-Fi is off for now.
Only wish the screen were bigger.
Would recommend the Kindle though 8/10
>>
>>53360658

>buy cheap e-reader

Any suggestions?
>>
>>53360827

NONE

Amazon have the entire market on lockdown. Amazing since the tablet market is flooded with cheap chink clones. But not the e-reader market, surprisingly.
>>
>>53360799

Changing the internal storage seems like a valuable option. From what I can tell some of these are pretty small which is fine for ebook. However some of the stuff is hard to get in ebook format and you have to deal with larger pdf images. So space is good.
>>
File: 1431662564285.jpg (31 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1431662564285.jpg
31 KB, 640x640
>>53360693
the newer Kindles are great, but the shitty ads and recommended stuff gets in the way. NEVER connect it to your amazon account, put it in airplane mode, and turn on parental controls to remove recommendations.
>>
>>53360890

Some of these say they have 4GB of space that cant be right? Even a single sd card can blow that away. Or is this some kind of super low energy storage that is small.
>>
>>53360960
Yeah most ebook readers have super small storage because ebooks are only a couple dozen kb's on average...
>>
>>53360960
Books didn't take up that much room. Maybe like 200kb - 1mb.
PDFs are all over the place so mileage varies.
>>
>>53360960
I've got about 136 books on my Kobo Aura which still has like 2.6gb's of storage left. And depending on the pdf you can convert it into an epub.
>>
>>53360615
I have one, but I really miss the hardware light button from the non-HD Glo. Dunno why they'd remove that: made it fast and easy to enable/disable nightmode (i.e. white-on-black)
>>
I just bought a Kobo Glo HD because they're slightly cheaper than equivalent Kindles. Prior to that I used a Kindle for 4 years. They've both done exactly what I expected them to and neither has ever excited me.
>>
i have a kobo aura and it is slow as hell sometimes + the touchscreen is bad. shouldve gone with one that had physical buttons for turning pages (if those are still made).
the display is coolio tho
>>
I just thought about it but does anyone know what kinda library comes with prime? I use it just because I save on shipping. But I was surprised by the music and video I get with it.
>>
What kind of usb cord do the kindles use? Is it micro usb? Its not some proprietary shit is it?
>>
Some PDFs don't work well on e-books, specially if they are formatted with more than one column (ie textbooks) because you can't really convert those to epub or mobi without losing the page format and fucking everything up. You COULD just read it as PDF, but page size and kindle size doesn't translate well, so you'd have to zoom in and pan if you want to read, unless you can read text for ants.
>>
>>53360595
Kindle Paperwhite
Best features at that price
Best book collextion
Clearly, the best eBook reader

Unless youre a richfag. Then, Voyage
>>
>>53361343
This is why I decided to just get a cheap tablet for my daily reading.
>>
nice duplicate thread OP

>>53357589
>>53357589
>>53357589
>>
>>53361340
Standard micro.

They get to sell their own expensive as fuck cords and adaptors somehow.
>>
>>53361248
AFAIK the Aura was the only Kobo to have a Kindle-style capacitive touchscreen.

For an ereader, even ignoring the impact it has on the display quality, I think IR is the way to go since it works as well with gloves, or tapping with anything (e.g. a knuckle or whatever)
>>
>>53361368

I have a tablet it sucks reading for a length of time on it. Especially books I am trying to learn from for some reason.
>>
With ereaders the technology doesn't improve as quickly as tablets or anything really, so you'd be ok getting one used even if it's a few generations older. I personally have a kobo aura h2o though, and once you get the bigger screen, there's no going back to 6 inches. It's pretty great, I read tons with it on my downtime at work.
>>
>>53360827
Any Kobo device. Don't fall for the Amazon Swindle.
>>
>>53360595
Calibre Software and a Amazon Paperwhite is your cheap solution for pirating eBooks, convert them in mobi through Calibre and have fun.
>>
Amazon is the apple of ereader devices.

>b-b-but you can convert EPUB to amazon's proprietary formats!

>b-b-but you can convert FLAC to apple's proprietary ALAC!

>b-b-but you can convert your MKVs to MP4

Don't be a retard. Don't buy kindle. Stop making excuses for locked down proprietary dogshit.
>>
>>53362092

So what would you recommend? Kobo?
>>
>>53362812
Kobo. You can get equivalent features cheaper, plus it is open you can mod the fuck out of it if you care to.
Ebook format doesn't really matter since you can convert pretty easily between all of them. Epub is the most common, but mobi isn't far behind.

Also Kobo beats the shit out of amazon with regards to text formatting options.
>>
>>53361577
>Amazon Paperwhite
>convert them in mobi through Calibre
My library of 9200 books is entirely in epub, and mostly retail at that. I'm not going to spend the time to convert all of them into an inferior format and probably fuck up the layout of several of them in the process just because Amazon refuses to support open standards that compete with their locked-down DRM-laden formats.

Combine that with shady Amazon practices like charging extra to not have ads in your fucking ebooks, and I'll take anything else any day.
>>
>>53360595
Yeah just don't buy amazon shit if you can help it OP. Kobo seems like the way to go. The Sony ereaders look decent too, but they may be shit, haven't looked into buying one myself.

>short battery is annoying
only if you are too poor for an iPad. Seriously, you either get an iPad or maybe one of the most expensive tablets Samsung makes (used to be the note, but I don't think those exist anymore).
>>
Kobo text formatting is just shit.

At same text and margin size, it fits less words than paperwhite, and with gross spacing.

Get a Kindle.
>>
>>53363063
>At same text and margin size, it fits less words than paperwhite
How?
>>
>>53363063
hi shill
>>
>>53363063
What I didn't like about kobo was that sometimes it would just ignore your settings. You can set ragged edges instead of flush, and any font you want, but when these settings are defined in the epub you're reading (or if not idk why) it ignores the user settings.
>>
>>53363099
There are options to forcibly override book settings, but they normally take priority because the book is only supposed to define them if it actually needs to be displayed that way.
>>
>>53363092
>>At same text and margin size, it fits less words than paperwhite
>How?
Like this
>>
Seriously kobo pages look like books for kids

>waaaa words are scary! Take it easy
>>
>>53363146
That's very obviously not the same margins. It doesn't look like it's even the same font size.
>>
>>53360851
Then just buy an second-hand cheap kindle.
>>
File: Kindle-Paperwhite-3-vs-Glo-HD.jpg (162 KB, 1000x790) Image search: [Google]
Kindle-Paperwhite-3-vs-Glo-HD.jpg
162 KB, 1000x790
Gross.
>>
>>53363063
Wha??

Probably the major advantage of the Kobos is that you have MASSIVELY more control over layout. You have far more fonts built in, can add your own, and can set margins, spacing, etc. to whatever you like. You can even set font weights and fringing.

Contrast with the Kindles where you have like 4 fonts and 4 margin/side/spacing options.
>>
Seriously, kobo?

>129$ for this
Wow
>>
What about kobo mini? I'm a mega poorfag
>>
>>53363099
Because they're hard-coded into the book. In Calibre you can scrub those settings.
>>
File: 1457377479458.jpg (63 KB, 620x407) Image search: [Google]
1457377479458.jpg
63 KB, 620x407
>>53363146
>At same text and margin size
Be honest, how much is Amazon paying you to blatantly lie like this?
>>
>>53361343
Read textbooks on PC - where you can also back your research with internet and also store the paragraphs, pages and information you want in countless ways.

Ebook readers are meant for plain text, easy for the eye - take them anywhere with huge libraries. Not meant as textbook replacements - even using a tablet to study an textbook is shitty.

And every time I have to study from an textbook ( which in life happens usually when work is involved ) - I just digitize it and use computer doing this I save time and I read it much faster, more efficiently.
>>
>>53363189
The Kobos have slightly better display quality, since they're all using the same (Eink Corp.) panels, but with the Kobos there's no capacitive layer between the eink and your eyes as on the Kindles.
>>
>>53363280
Look at that SPACE between were and pretty

LMFAO
>>
>>53361446
Tablets are marketed to tag idiots - you have to be stupid to get one - so don't blame the tablet, blame your brain.
>>
>>53363321
*tips fedora*
>>
>>53363312
>I don't know how justified text works
That's a result of the larger margins and font size. The kindle would do the same thing at those settings.

Go be a retard somewhere else
>>
>>53363321
le edgy bait
>>
>>53363446
No you're stupid, when tablets were all around that was the general atmosphere around them - stupid useless, overpriced shitty hardware for people stupid enough to buy them...
It was never a meme it was an observation based on reality, it just happened that in 2016 this board is filled with underage and literally autistic people with garbage opinions like yours.

You have to be indeed mentally impaired to buy an tablet. If you have the pretension of being technology aware - then don't be stupid, but you're browsing a technology board, not your Facebook page where every stupid person can agree with your opinion.
>>
>>53363498
Wow, you quadrupled the size of your previous useless post, and still managed to only fill it with shit-flinging instead of a single reasoned argument.

Good job.
>>
>>53363565
Blank post, you literally said nothing.
>>
File: balloonlmao.jpg (4 KB, 240x189) Image search: [Google]
balloonlmao.jpg
4 KB, 240x189
>>53363611
Ayyyy
>>
>>53363611
>>>/b/
>>
>>53360956
The ads are barely anything, a little banner on the bottom of the main menu. Nothing while in a book.

It doesn't matter what you get, they can all read all formats with converting. Besides you can download the right format 99.9% of the time anyway. So just go on craigslist and buy the cheapest one. The built in light is nice tho.
>>
>>53361262
You can get a free book a month through Amazon publishing, but the rest of the books are locked behind kindle unlimited, which costs more.
>>
>>53362917
Yeah because you will read over 9000 books, no one said you need to move your "collection" to a reader.
>>
>>53365300
Right, I'll be sure to convert a book and then transfer it to my reader every time I want to start a new book instead of what I do now where I just pick a book from my collection on my reader and immediately start reading.

Fuck off
>>
>>53366288
>>go to computer
>>select ebook file
>>use Amazon converter
>>takes your file, converts to mobi, sends to your kindle
>>flip on kindle read
>>
>>53365218
The kobo doesn't have ads, it's not only barely nothing, it's not at all. It also can read ePub, an open standard as default, whereas you need to convert to use it on a kindle.

A kindle requires you to adhere to its standards. Into the trash.
>>
>>53366421
>doing all of that shit instead of just immediately opening the book on I want on my reader when I want to.

Again, fuck off. There is no good reason for me to be tethered to a computer and required to go through a whole song and dance every time I want to to start a new book just because Amazon refuses to support open formats.

I get that you're trying really hard to rationalize your purchase or your Amazon fanboyism, but other people prefer to make decisions that aren't detrimental to them and their future actions for no benefit
>>
Nook Simple Touch because it has the ability to be rooted with Android

Meaning you can play JRPGs for days without charging a battery. Solar panel? Non stop JRPG action
>>
>>53366421
>go to my computer
>drag and drop ebook into my kobo
>read
>>
>>53366421
Why bother with kiindle when the nook has android?
>>
>>53366421
>All of that shit
>Literally two clicks with Calibre
>>
File: KDX_and_K2.jpg (1 MB, 1190x1626) Image search: [Google]
KDX_and_K2.jpg
1 MB, 1190x1626
>>53360595
Will there ever be another e-reader the size of the DX?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.