[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
transmission malware!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
Users who have directly downloaded Transmission installer from official website after 11:00am PST, March 4, 2016 and before 7:00pm PST, March 5, 2016, may be been infected by KeRanger. If the Transmission installer was downloaded earlier or downloaded from any third party websites, we also suggest users perform the following security checks. Users of older versions of Transmission do not appear to be affected as of now.

We suggest users take the following steps to identify and remove KeRanger holds their files for ransom:

1. Using either Terminal or Finder, check whether /Applications/Transmission.app/Contents/Resources/ General.rtf or /Volumes/Transmission/Transmission.app/Contents/Resources/ General.rtf exist. If any of these exist, the Transmission application is infected and we suggest deleting this version of Transmission.

2. Using “Activity Monitor” preinstalled in OS X, check whether any process named “kernel_service” is running. If so, double check the process, choose the “Open Files and Ports” and check whether there is a file name like “/Users/<username>/Library/kernel_service” (Figure 12). If so, the process is KeRanger’s main process. We suggest terminating it with “Quit -> Force Quit”.

3. After these steps, we also recommend users check whether the files “.kernel_pid”, “.kernel_time”, “.kernel_complete” or “kernel_service” existing in ~/Library directory. If so, you should delete them.
>>
2.92 already deletes keranger.
>>
they fell for the transmission meme

Also qbitorrent only fucks up if you're a newfag and or know nothing about computers.

go neck yourselves, worse then tixati shills, trying so hard to get transmission working.
>>
>open source is secure!
>>
>>53355541
this only affects macs
this only affects you if you used their installer for some retarded reason
this doesn't affect you if you updated from within transmission
>>
File: 2132346734.gif (2 MB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
2132346734.gif
2 MB, 500x485
>tfw using μTorrent 2.2.1 for 5 years without any problems what so ever
>>
>>53355581
Thanks. No worries then.
>>
You should be using qBittorrent anyway
>>
>>53355581
>this doesn't affect you if you updated from within transmission
phew thank god
>>
this sucks i really liked transmission too.
>>
File: 1457102676301.jpg (42 KB, 594x421) Image search: [Google]
1457102676301.jpg
42 KB, 594x421
Better update as fast as I can!

>mfw I have no face
>>
>>53355581

>this doesn't affect you if you updated from within transmission

This is the same retarded nigger that claimed official website downloads were secure, HAHA!, I was wrong before, take my word this time!
>>
Props to Transmission for responding so quickly to this. Yesterday I booted up Transmission and got the Update to 2.9 dialogue box but for whatever reason, natural immunity to viruses, I just ignored it and put it in the background.

Later, before going to bed I went back to Transmission and clicked update and was told the update was unavailable, then a new box opened suggesting I go to 2.92. I clicked that.

Safe as always

>Windows gets viruses everyday
>Macs get a virus it's front page news.
>>
Is this why someone kept making ZOMG DOWNLOAD TRANSMISSION threads?
>>
>>53356244
what are you even saying
>>
>>53356292
Probably. Transmission is a really good bt client, but so are lots of others.
>>
>>53356292
Now you know how 4chan works. You must be eliminated.
>>
>>53356282
Their update didn't mean shit

This could have been prevented by providing a fucking checksum and having fucking mirrors with their own checksums like every other self respecting project. That way, if some dumbfuck replaces a file you can know if you got the right shit.

Let's see qbittorrent's site. Oh fuck, CHECKSUMS.
>>
>>53356316
if some dumbfuck can replace the file your mirror page points at, what makes you think that the same dumbfuck can't change the checksums?
>>
>>53356369
The more mirrors with checksums you have, the better.
>>
>>53356392
so let's say you have two pages where you can download a setup file - the main page, and some mirror. the checksum on the mirror differs from the one on the main page, although both (should) provide the same file. which page do you choose to download your file from?
>>
>>53356316
How many people actually verify the checksum to make sure the file hasn't been tampered with? Probably 1% at most.
>>
File: Linus_Torvalds.jpg (93 KB, 600x920) Image search: [Google]
Linus_Torvalds.jpg
93 KB, 600x920
>>53356468
I'm the 1%
>>
brew cask master race reporting in
installing .app files from website is literally retarded nigger tier
>>
>>53355585
mah nigga
>>
>>53355580
it wouldn't have happened if you downloaded the source code and audited it before compiling using your own toolchain
>>
>from official website
Windowsfags please leave
>>
>>53356468
A real package manager doesn't have this problem :^)
>>
>>53356476
you're a fatass
>>
applel

qbittorrent is where it is
>>
>>53356292

It doesn't get updated very often so I suppose this is like christmas for them
>>
It was only if you actually downloaded the client from the site during the timeframe of infection. I already had the client since previously and didn't get the malicious general.rtf file.
>>
>>53356369
Linux Mint botneter changed checksums on the site
>>
So it never affected the sparkle updates?

If so no need to me to worry.
>>
>>53355585
Yeah, something like this can't happen to you because you don't get updates at all
>>
Imo pirates getting what you deserve
>>
>>53355585
>tfw using latest μTorrent version with ads removed for years without any problems what so ever
>>
>downloading from third party sites
>updating immediately on a new release
we be memes now
>>
Are there any details on how the site got compromised?
>>
File: carlos.png (163 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
163 KB, 350x350
>>53362356
i guess they picked up a malicious transmission
>>
>>53355932
What is going on in that image
>>
>>53356292
>only affects macfags
Whoever made those shill threads is doing God's work.
>>
>>53356463
You wait.
>>
>>53355932
wtf is that pic migga?
>>
>>53364625
>>53363668
It's an epic new meme called "cow with a hole"
>>
Here's a cow with a hole and a nice fetish lady.
Some say cows with holes can cure blindness. But I guess they're terrorists.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.