[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Only 2 months into my first IT job >Already had a major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
>Only 2 months into my first IT job
>Already had a major fuckup

What do I do lads? Should I stick around or should I flee to Argentina/Siberia?
>>
Can it be undone?
>>
>>53354284
everything that goes wrong is a virus
you will never be fired
>>
Depends on the fuck. Please, anon, share your story
>>
Fuckups are normal in any job. Just suck it up and roll with the punches.
>>
>>53354284
lurking
>>
It's too late. Pajeet is already on the way here to replace you. Don't bother going to work tomorrow, unless you are a supreme /g/entleman.
>>
>>53354284
If they didn't fire you it wasn't a major fuckup.
You'll live with guilt for a few days and possibly get chewed out but you've learned a lesson and it'll make you better.
>>
>>53354284
We need some context here, man.
What was the fuckup?
>>
>>53354346

I haven't told anyone about it yet. I've been trying to fix it all weekend

>>53354302

Accidentally broke a client's AD setup while I tried to install Exchange 2013. AD is a bit broken and I can't re-install exchange
>>
>>53354366
That isn't even that bad.
Can they trace you to the fuckup?
>>
>>53354284
Oh get over it, the first week of my IT job I fucked up and they didn't fire me, got pulled into the office chewed out lived with the guilt for a bit, no fucks given after that.
>>
>>53354366
Did they have a backup
>>
>>53354366
Blame Microsoft and say you are emailing them about a solution
>>
>>53354284
Act oblivious and don't admit you fucked up, chances are no one else knows what happened either. It's never a good idea to let people know just how much you know or they'll go looking to blame you for everything, pretend to be dense.
>>
>>53354284
Just kill yourself. Then they'll never catch you
>>
>>53354366

The error messages I get whenever I try to do anything with exchange or AD isn't really an error message. It just shows me fractions of the program's code
>>
Not OP but
>working in a company
>time in/out computer of the company break down
>heads ask me to fix it
>accidentally drop it and now cant usr
>blame HR
>>
>>53354366
Install gentoo, that'll fix the issue.
>>
>>53354373

Yeah, it was through an ESXI server which logged my activity on the VM

>>53354375

I actually restored the backup and it made my problems worse. Before I tried to restore the backup at least the error messages were in English

>>53354388
>>
Have you tried installing Adobe Reader?
>>
>>53354436
as a fellow IT, I can confirm this always works
>>
File: 1454897517948.jpg (13 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
1454897517948.jpg
13 KB, 526x526
>>53354403
>ESXI
>not ESX
What shitty companies do you werk for, m9? Would not even though ESXi
>>
Yes follow your fuhrers path, heil der vaterland
>>
OP I already feel the second hand anxiety just reading that so good kuck to you buddy
>>
>>53354366
>Accidentally broke a client's AD setup while I tried to install Exchange 2013. AD is a bit broken and I can't re-install exchange

STOP
T
O
P

Now then. First thing to do is dcdiag, and see where the errors are. You'll have some, but your concerns should be advertising, sysvol replication, and DNS.

Next, depending on how far the Exchange install went, you'll may have to drop into ADSI edit and strip out some of the Exchange stuff.

Is this for an Office365 migration? If it is, you can likely open a support ticket with Microsoft. It'll be a pro case (unless the company or you already have premier support) but they can get you transferred to the right team, especially if you tell them it's a SEV A (impacting active users) and preventing migration.
>>
>>53354366
>Accidentally broke a client's AD setup while I tried to install Exchange 2013. AD is a bit broken and I can't re-install exchange

Like one person's AD or for an entire company?
>>
>>53354366
call Microsoft support, you might have to pay though
>>
File: adobe.png (57 KB, 999x676) Image search: [Google]
adobe.png
57 KB, 999x676
>>53354436

Adobe are the MASTERS of bloat. Like what the fuck man, I just want to read PDFs.

>>53354475

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKj1T2YkG-w
>>
>>53354505

Entire company

>>53354484

Yeah, I already went through ADSI and cleared out as many things as I could.

I just made a new VM for exchange and I'll try reinstalling it there.

So far step 8, but in the past step 11 was when the exchange install would shit itself and quit on me
>>
>>53354571
>Entire company
You're fucked dude.

Just leave.
>>
>>53354571
DCDIAG is coming back clean?

I see that you restored from backup. Are client machines still able to login, or did you not touch NTDS.dit?
>>
Any tips for someone trying to get a job in IT tech? Currently a sophmore in college.
>>
File: 1453619024967.png (657 KB, 716x586) Image search: [Google]
1453619024967.png
657 KB, 716x586
>>53354284
Flee to Marie Byrd Land
>>
>>53354571
ok wait a second... how is this even possible? On the DC you prep the schema and literally hit next, next, next on the exchange install what did you do?
>>
>>53354625

Eh, the first breakage wasn't really my fault. The .iso they gave me was corrupt.

I was not aware I had to clean out the AD info after a partial install.

So tried to reinstall it and that made things worse
>>
>>53354625
Lots of ways.
>>
OP did LOAD REPLACE.

That's a federal crime OP. Fly to Ecuador asap.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.