[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/judaism/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: network.png (114 KB, 740x414) Image search: [Google]
network.png
114 KB, 740x414
Friendly reminder that buying hardware that is overpowered for your needs is a waste of money.

Main PC:
>Pentium E2160
>nVidia 6200 SE
>4GiB DDR2

It runs Windows 10 flawlessly and plays my entire steam library which is fairly lightweight.

I have more powerful rigs but I'm interested to see how far you /g/entoomen have stretched the abilities of limited hardware.

Pic Unrelated
>>
friendly reminder that your needs are not the same as my needs or anyone else's needs
>>
File: speccy.png (67 KB, 1029x749) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
67 KB, 1029x749
Because a powerful machine that can run high end/resource eating games at ultra settings with high FPS is just pretty fucking cool.

Plus being able to use two monitors to do lots of different shit is pretty cool too.

>Waste of money
Man if you have the money to spend on such a system without fucking yourself financially, why not?
>>
>>53352938
I use a g4 iMac for my academic stuff. It's so old it can't post on 4chan anymore because it can't handle html5 properly.

I've got a samsung laptop that I can never remember the specs of because I don't care. It was the cheapest one that had positive reviews. It lets me shitpost on /g/ and play movies in HD. Beyond that, can't say I can what's in it.
>>
>>53352998
>>53353015
I recently spoke to a few people who were talking about building/buying $1000+ machines for facebook and I guess I made this thread out of spite. This computer is used for web browsing, writing shit, and all the games in my steam library because they're fairly lightweight. It's just so confusing for people to buy hardware the potential of with they will never fully utilize.
>>
>>53353064
For that I'd probably get an i3 with 8GB RAM, whatever spare GPU I can get my hands on, then OC as necessary. Just my tastes, I'm pretty fond of i3s and I need more than 4GB RAM because of all the shit I run at once
>>
I used a 1st gen Mac Mini for the longest time.
1.42 GHz, single core, 512MB RAM.
Should still fire right up if I were to plug it in again, too.
>>
>>53353064
My friend, you need to find some new friends if they think they need to build a PC to use the fucking internet.

Tell them to buy one of those cool fancy laptops with a touchscreen and suuuuuch good speakers omg.

Or just kill yourself and them.
>>
2 titan x for minecraft meme
>>
penis
>>
for my university work, i was using a 10-year-old netbook with a single core atom processor, 1024x600 pixel screen and 1gb of ram until last year

i finally had to upgrade because most websites were too big\heavy. if i didn't need web browsing i'd still be using it.

upgraded to a sub-200 dollar acer netbook with a 1366x768 screen and a low power celeron. works just fine
>>
>>53353194
And they're like trying to learn about computers and that's the excuse they're giving but the way I learned was by getting sub $20 computers at thrift stores and making them work again. It's just ridiculous. I guess because I'm poor i can appreciate the "lesser" computers/parts, so I guess that's where i kind of instinctively learned to grab no more than what I needed.
>>
>/judaism/
Go back to /pol/ you filthy jew
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (49 KB, 295x376) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
49 KB, 295x376
>>53352938
>It runs Windows 10
>>
File: Amiga Setup 001_zps1gbm3r4u.jpg (75 KB, 640x520) Image search: [Google]
Amiga Setup 001_zps1gbm3r4u.jpg
75 KB, 640x520
Well my needs are met with machine like in pic, and anything more is just waste. The problem is they don't make these anymore, so I'm forced to upgrade always to systems I don't need.
So I just end up buying the cheapest laptop, and the price is good, but the quality isn't, and anyway the OS and hardware are more complicated than they need be.
I'm kinda fed up of the whole upgrade thing desu.
>>
File: Amiga-Workbench_zpsutk6gcxs.jpg (90 KB, 640x589) Image search: [Google]
Amiga-Workbench_zpsutk6gcxs.jpg
90 KB, 640x589
>>53353822
Screen turned on. Just a simple GUI, it worked fine. I didn't need anything more.
>>
>>53353547
I did it to see if it handled well. It does.
>>
>>53353822
I used to have a 2000 and a 500 but mice got into them and it was the end. I still have a C=64 but it's only good for Space Taxi and whatnot
>>
How much more/useful features does the win 10 pro have compared to the home? I was thinking of getting the win 7 pro then upgrading but if it's not worth the money I'll just re-download win 10 home. My computer got fucked so I'm building my first pc and since I got win 10 home for free before I should be able to re-download from my account. Sorry for the long blog post, I was just explaining my situation.
>>
>>53355910
Go with windows10 pro, it's better. Other's will say go for windows 10 home ironically.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-03-07_01-06-46.png (631 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-03-07_01-06-46.png
631 KB, 1600x900
>>53352938
Friendly reminder that extra resources are nice to have. I don't have to sit here and watch my htop because of a web browser, and I can run VMs at damn near bare metal performance, with no swap. You should only be concerned with stretching limited hardware if you're poor, or very patient.

>i7-2670QM, 2.2GHz base, 3.1GHz turbo
>8GB DDR3
>small SSD for / and 750GB hdd for /home
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.