[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Steve Jobs just a douchebag who hated everything people liked,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: newton-pen.jpg (41 KB, 549x368) Image search: [Google]
newton-pen.jpg
41 KB, 549x368
Was Steve Jobs just a douchebag who hated everything people liked, such as open systems like the Apple 2 versus closed systems like the Mac?

Lets look at Apples success, The apple 2, then the imac, the ipod, the iphone, the ipad, the macbook pro.

all of these systems besides the apple 2 are closed systems which require jailbreaking to open up.

The jailbreaks are immensely popular for these closed systems, which implies WoZ was right, and people wanted Apple 2 because of its open status.

Steve Jobs was literally a meme, his ideas about closed systems killed Apple, the newton was basically the future, and Apple was way ahead of its time.

Everything Apple is successful for is based on the Newton.
>>
>mac
>closed
>require jailbreaking to open up

hardware-wise yes
software-wise no, fuck off
>>
>>53351457
software is closed as well ios, darwin kernal etc.
>>
>>53351457
>software-wise no, fuck off
Retard detected.
Go install another theme, oh what is that, you cant?
>>
>>53351480
>Go install another theme
I miss shapeshifter ;_;
>>
>>53351480
http://flavours.interacto.net
you were saying?
>>
File: not.png (73 KB, 1101x430) Image search: [Google]
not.png
73 KB, 1101x430
>>53351655
>Too stupid to even read your own links
Typical Macfag.
>>
>>53351680
#REKT
>>
>>53351680
Worked fine with everything before lel clapistan, which offers more security of system files, which can be turned off, so, technically, theming is still possible.
>>
apple is good IDIOTS
>>
File: 1457100525701.jpg (186 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1457100525701.jpg
186 KB, 690x460
>>53351457

i think apple avoided the problems that windows had with people loading all sorts of weird programs with drivers (especially sound drivers) which would blue-screen windows os

but i've never used an apple device because i never liked the idea some douche at apple was deciding how i could or couldn't experiment with my own property

windows was clunky before W7 but it let you do all sorts of crazy shit to it

and fuck you apple for now and forever
>>
>>53351680

call the ER
this macfag has suffered a serious #BURN
>>
>>53351789
no we're talking about linux versus apple, windows can't be considered open.
>>
File: jobs.png (103 KB, 720x656) Image search: [Google]
jobs.png
103 KB, 720x656
He was an absolute madman though.
>>
>>53352303
>what do you wish for
>not to have cancer any more instead of getting treatment
>what do you do in youor spare time
>slowly wither away into nothing
>>
>>53351824
ok, ok, windows is semi-open
>>
File: cubeebay.jpg (55 KB, 513x350) Image search: [Google]
cubeebay.jpg
55 KB, 513x350
>>53351472
>>53351480
>playing fast and loose with terminology

OP defined a closed system as one which requires "jailbreaking."

You do not need to "jailbreak" a Mac in order to install hardware or software. There is literally no such thing as "jailbreaking a Mac."

OP considers Apple II an "open" system. Yet the Apple II did not utilize an open source OS or hardware design. As compared to the first compact Macs the Apple II was only "open" in the sense that it had expansion slots. By that measure Macintosh was "open" the day the Macintosh II and Macintosh SE shipped.

>>53351432
>Everything Apple is successful for is based on the Newton.

LOL no. Everything Apple is successful for today is based on NeXTSTEP. Mac OS X and iOS are literally NeXTSTEP evolved. That's why so many Cocoa class names start with NS.

That sexy beast in the attached picture? Apple would probably no longer exist if it wasn't for that creation of Steve Jobs.

Almost nothing of the Newton code base exists in Apple's modern products. (I say "almost" because there may be one library or some shit that was ported and used somewhere.)

The only real contribution from Newton to Apple's modern products is the ARM architecture which is used extensively by iOS devices. The Newton project led to Apple investing in ARM.
>>
>>53351680
>hurr durr no themes = closed

It's up to the developers to make their shit work with changes in the latest OS. OS X is as "open" as ProDOS or Mac OS classic was. That is to say it's proprietary, but there are APIs any developer can use to build any product.
>>
>>53351789
>still playing fast and loose with terminology

You can write, compile, buy, and install "extensions" or "drivers", or any type of software, on OS X. You do not need Apple's permission.
>>
>>53352489
>ok, ok, windows is semi-open

What definition of "open" are we using?

Open source? Windows is 0% open. OS X actually uses some open source code.

Ability to add hardware without special permission from the OS vendor? Knock yourself out on either one.

Ability to write or add software without special permission from the OS vendor? Again, knock yourself out on either one.

Mac is not iOS, even though they share much of the same code base. You have to either get your iOS app approved or ship it for "jailbroken" iOS devices. But there is no such thing on the Mac.

The "walled garden" exists on iOS...and iOS alone...because Apple wanted a higher level of security for consumer phones and devices. (And let's be honest: they wanted higher profits to.) I have mixed feelings about it because I think I should be able to dial down the security without resorting to jailbreaking. It should be possible to sell apps outside Apple's store. But OTOH your typical consumer is well protected because iOS requires apps approved by Apple.

But this is not the Mac. You can run anything on a Mac.
>>
Macbook pro tip: Install gentoo
>>
File: 1450411697035.jpg (150 KB, 852x1041) Image search: [Google]
1450411697035.jpg
150 KB, 852x1041
>>53351432
>mfw the only reason I know about these failures and events is because I watched Steve Jobs a few hours ago

>Steve Jobs, if accurately portrayed, is the single biggest asshole user of all time.
>>
>>53352837
He's using his custom definition of "open" because he's retarded
>>
>>53353233
The movie was an Aaron Sorkin fever dream, a dramatization of things that never happened.

The sad part is some of the 500 people who watched it will actually believe it's true.

It's as accurate as those crappy horror movies with "Based on a true story" in the tag line.
>>
>>53353357
open as in no proprietary code.

You can't claim a system is open if you don't even know what the init system is doing on the kernal level, you have no idea if its backdoored either.
>>
>>53353476
So he never denied being the father? LISA wasn't a real thing? I've heard stories that jobs sas an asshole in real life and especially when it came to the way he lived life.
>>
>>53353540
Steve Jobs invented the asshole deadbeat father lifestyle (tm).
>>
>>53353540
Spoiler: Most business leaders are assholes.

Do you think Bill Gates, Larry Page, or Jeff Bezos are saints?
>>
File: 1408357652658.jpg (690 KB, 1198x805) Image search: [Google]
1408357652658.jpg
690 KB, 1198x805
>>53353573
>saint bill
>not a saint
>>
File: 1452478441998.jpg (39 KB, 272x309) Image search: [Google]
1452478441998.jpg
39 KB, 272x309
>>53353560
Pic related

>>53353573
But bill gates OS a massive philanthropist who left his country and has been doing non stop good for the entire planet in a plethora of ways. What's so bad about Saint Gates?
>>
>>53353601
Company not country*******
>>
>>53353601
>>53353609

He was also a ruthless monopolist who screwed over partner companies, destroyed the home computer market and turned it into a wasteland of generic MS-DOS and Windows boxes.
>>
>>53353508
Ok, then see
>>53352837

Windows is just as open as OS X, if not less. In fact, if any amount of proprietary code means a system is not open, then most Linux installs aren't open either.

Also, it's "kernel", not "kernal"
>>
>>53353690
>destroyed the home computer market
Nigga WHAT? Computing wouldn't be what it is today without gates and Windows. If Mac had taken off, computing would literally be reserved for the upper class, maybe even more so than Apple products are now unless another Savior would have stepped in.

>turned it into a wasteland of generic MS-DOS and Windows Boxes
How else would the average person use a computer productively? Are you seriously trying to use either of those statements as an argument?
>>
>>53353601
>philanthropists
>doing good
Pick one. Check out where his money is going, it's fucked.
>>
>>53353783
Truly spoken like someone whose first computer was a Windows machine in the 90s.
>>
>>53353832
Nice rebuttal. Why don't you explain how computing would have evolved without literal windows to hold applications with visual components?

Currently using Linux with a tiling WINDOW manager for my browser, my text editor, my terminal emulator, and my literal everything. Do you expect everybody to use the command line for everything? The world would be a shitty place if that was the case.
>>
>>53353866
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_graphical_user_interface
>>
>>53353690
>destroyed the home computer market

Nice meme.

Without them, the home computer market would still be a clusterfuck of 20+ different OSs none of which have even the slightest compatibility with each other. Actually, it'd probably be like linux today with the utter clusterfuck of distros that refuse to work with each other and each doing their own special snowflake package management bullshit.
>>
>>53353902
Xerox star workstation introducing the first commercial GUI interface.

>Has 6 windows on the monitor

Next, please.
>>
>>53353925
Not the guy you're replying to, but you're retarded.
>>
>>53353925
Idiot
>>
File: pipe.jpg (26 KB, 222x203) Image search: [Google]
pipe.jpg
26 KB, 222x203
>>53353923
this
>>
Linux is gay as fuck.
>>
>>53351432
>hated everything people liked
>and people wanted Apple 2 because of its open status
Who the fuck wanted a weak piece of 8-bit trash like a II other than the low-end and academia after the Macintosh came out? Every edge they had over Macintosh systems were accomplished far better by PC compatible hardware and the later Macintosh II series. There sure as fuck wasn't anything "open" about these systems full of proprietary ROMs and interfaces, either.

Woz worship is fucking dumb, just man up and admit you don't like the modern direction of Apple and leave it at that instead of jumping through these shitty nostalgiatard hoops sucking the dick of a hobbyist who would have lead that company into bankruptcy before its tenth birthday trying to cater to a dying market sector.
>>
>>53351432
>iMac
>Macbook pro
>jailbreak

okay.
>>
>>53353923
>Without IBM, the home computer market would still be a clusterfuck of 20+ different OSs none of which have even the slightest compatibility with each other.

The ONLY reason MS-DOS became a standard, paving the way for Windows, is because IBM licensed it for the IBM PC. It was the weight of IBM entering the microcomputer market that made Microsoft's near monopoly possible. Not anything that Microsoft did.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.