[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overclocking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: overclock[1].png (16 KB, 600x330) Image search: [Google]
overclock[1].png
16 KB, 600x330
I overclocked my system today, and while it's running fine and stable, there's so much fucking misinformation, conflicting information and bullshit out there that I'm confused by now.
So I'm hoping that someone here can help me out. I'm happy with my CPU frequency, would like to tone down the power consumption if possible though.

I'm using offset voltage to overclock.

Gigabyte Z77X + 3570k
Base CPU voltage is 1.08
With the multiplyer set to 44 I'm stable with an offset of +0.05 and LLC at medium.

My confusion started while monitoring the stress test: CPU-Z shows a VCore of 1.152, while CoreTemp shows a VID of 1.1709.

I have no idea where those values are coming from and what they mean for me, if I can turn down the offset a bit or not.
There are countless people out there proclaiming one thing or the other, formulas like VCore-VID=Offset and so on, but none of these statements are coherent or even similar. And it's all distributed across countless forum posts or blogs.

Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it.
>>
>>53344646
On top of that, as far as I understand it LLC is the biggest cause of degradation and should be kept as low as possible. Is that correct? Because again, some 'guides' suggest cranking it up to the max.

I don't want the highest OC possible, just something useful and stable. 4.4Ghz is enough for me, and my temps are fine (about 65C while running Prime).
>>
No-one? Damnit, I knew I should have put an anime girl in the OP.
>>
File: Amagami.jpg (37 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
Amagami.jpg
37 KB, 720x405
I overclocked my 3570k to 4.4Ghz using the auto function. It goes to 95c under a 212evo before I abort the primes. Maybe I should look into this.
>>
>>53345010
95C? Maybe you should. Or you could cook an egg on your CPU.
>>
>>53344646
>>53344646
I'm guessing what you're seeing is the max vcore value and then what it's currently using maybe?

try hwmonitor and see for certain to see current and max vcore side by side
>>
>>53344646
Buy a watt meter if you want to measure power.

Lower your voltage until unstable.
Up it to last stable value.
>>
>>53345254
So, you have no idea what you're talking about and instead just spout generic overclocking advice? Go back to yahoo questions.
I want to know how vcore, vid and my offset correlate. Stability isn't the issue at my modest OC.
>>
>>53345309
>want help on /g/
>be an asshole
Well good luck with that faggot.
>>
>>53345309
VID is never your real voltage. VID is basically the voltage your CPU demands and Vcore is your actual, measured voltage at any given moment. VID and Vcore will almost always be different (Vcore will usually be higher).

When someone says "my CPU is stable at 1.275v and 4.7GHz" they're probably talking about vcore unless they have no idea what they're talking about.
>>
File: 1455486957294.jpg (47 KB, 403x361) Image search: [Google]
1455486957294.jpg
47 KB, 403x361
>>53345010

how about you lower the damn clock or watercool that shit.
>>
>>53345254
This. Also don't forget to do a GPU+CPU test to make sure you are stable under load for both. I've seen overclocks pass 24hrs of Prime 95 fail when the GPU starts to render 3d. Currently 4.5ghz 4770k
>>
>>53345010
Find out what your voltage is while running prime95, then manually lower your voltage to just below the auto setting volt. Try to see how much you can lower while still maintaining stability. Voltage lowering affects temp the most, however lowering clock will do nice too. Its all about maintaining a nice clock with lowest possible voltage.
>>
>>53345741
>>53345805
That's the plan now. Was just lazy I guess and auto worked. The only thing that got to dangerous temperatures was playing The Old Republic MMO.
>>
>>53345010
auto is shit at high clocks, way too much voltage.
>>
Is overclocking still a thing that people do?
>>
>>53346830
With how power efficient things are today, overclocking just keeps getting easier without raising temps and power consumption into ludicrous territory

I'm running my 970 overclocked to 980 levels, and my 4770K at 4.4ghz runs in the 60s to 70s
It's free performance, so why not?
>>
>>53344646
Personally I'm not really interested in anything that will decrease my system reliability. I don't use wireless peripherals for the same reason.

Anyway, to try to help, check this LLC article:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/24019-load-line-calibration-why-overclockers-should-care/

(TL;DR is that it looks like medium/25% setting is pretty gud and never brings your voltage above normal idle voltage, at least in the configuration tested.)

Also your VCore in software is probably very inaccurate. You need to hook up a multimeter to really get a reliable reading.
>>
Oh, I forgot to mention - run OCCT once you think your system is stable. Tip: it probably isn't.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.