[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to find low cost PC''s to handle a small personal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: shekelmagnet.jpg (3 MB, 4224x2394) Image search: [Google]
shekelmagnet.jpg
3 MB, 4224x2394
Trying to find low cost PC''s to handle a small personal cloud. I mostly need something that is always online, and can handle seeding, ftp and Syncthing.

The Raspberry Pi 3 came out, and looking at it, it seems to be powerful enough. The onboard WiFi is very tempting.

Does anybody have experiences running something similar on a Pi 3, or even a Pi 2? I've have had a Pi 1 B+, but that was a total piece of shit for running anything. They claim that the Pi 3 is 10 times faster. I just wonder if 10 times faster shit becomes good.
>>
>>53340108
Does the Pi 3 have SATA?
>>
>>53340858
Nop
No Gb ethernet either
>>
I'm doing the same except I have an old motherboard and CPU that I can use. Got a buttload of old SSDs and fixable (bent pins) HDDs from work, I'm going to set them up in RAID and swap them as they die.
>>
Old android phone, sd cards and Linux Deploy.

Pi3 is intended for learning purposes, better get a different board for actual usage.
>>
>>53340890
When I can afford to buy a new phone, I've been thinking of doing this to my galaxy s3. Is that feasible?
>>
Best bet would honestly be one of those cheap celeron boards and toss in a few harddrives, boot freenas from usb and get the owncloud plugin.
>>
>>53340911
It's slow as fuck, but so is the Pi.
>>
>>53340108
If you want a minimalist approach then you could do it with a RPi3 and a USB drive.
>>
>>53340911
If you have rooted your phone, you can try this yourself, no need to wait. Linux Deplay is just another app that installs some distro alongside Android.
>>
>>53340951
It's already rooted.
Oh, I thought Linux deploy meant installing a dedicated Linux OS on it, removing the Android overhead.
>>
>>53341005
No, it installs a distro into an .img file or a subdirectory of your choosing. You can then start and stop it from the app.
>>
>>53341032
Oh, neat. I'll look into that.
>>
File: InstallGentoo.jpg (112 KB, 792x550) Image search: [Google]
InstallGentoo.jpg
112 KB, 792x550
>>53340858
What is google?

>>53340872
What the fuck do you expect for 35 bucks?
>>
>>53341344
Chinkshit ripoff boards all seem to have GBE its pretty old tech now
>>
>>53340108
Orange pi plus 2 has sata and gigabyte ethernet, also built in Wi-Fi and emmc. Only $10 more than the pi iirc and it has twice as much ram.

They also have a $15 version
>>
>>53340108
ODROID
>>
>>53340108
Own cloud? BitTorrent Sync? Other?
>>
>>53340108
The Raspberry Pi 3 is 10 times faster in like one particular aspect. It is not 10 times faster overall. It will do the job you want just fine.

>>53341380
GBE is not worth it on a Pi. It shares USB and Ethernet on one bus, neither is anywhere near full speed.

Even if it was though, what the hell do you need GBE on a Pi for? The current system is plenty for streaming video over a network. You are demanding a spec simply because it's faster with no applicable use to take advantage of it!
>>
>>53340108
I did/do exactly this on a Pi2 OP.

- Ethernet to remove wifi bottleneck
- Syncthing
- SABnzbd
- ftp
- Local webserver

Syncthing is not really mature and really has some design flaws around, which is why it may use 100% CPU and still be slow.
Switched to Unison instead which I should have done much earlier. While you have to do the syncing manually (or just schedule a task for it) it lets you select files making it infinitely faster of you want to transfer/store some specific files.

I wouldn't recommend it for owncloud though, but yes ftp/torrenting/just writing files is fine
>>
>LOONIX meme computers

No thanks. I recommend a Mac Mini - small, quiet, cheap and secure (unlike LOONIX which has NO commercial support). Choose quality, choose Apple.
>>
>>53341344
It's not about what you expect or not for $35. It's just useless for a personal cloud without those features.
>>
>>53342982
Actually, GBE is not required for a personal cloud, considering you are going to be limited to your internet connection speeds.

Also, unless you are transferring gigabytes of data and want instant access to, you really aren't going to struggle. Again, I think you heard a big word and cling to it, rather than can actually demonstrate how this is unsuitable for your use.
>>
If you spend $5 more, you can have a much better server.
The odroid has gigabit ethernet on its own bus and all the stuff in the pi3.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438

You have 2gb ram, which means it is enough to run syncthing, ftp server, mail server, owncloud, gitlab and a vpn.

For me, the speed is not that important though.
I need something that will stay online forever without my interference, and those boards does that perfectly.
Compared to the first pi, the pi2 blows it out of the water. The pi 3 is a huge improvements over the pi2 etc.
The pi3 might actually be good enough to be used as a desktop computer.
>>
>>53343106
Problem with the Odroid is that at some point the kernel may no longer be upgraded to support it. Which means you then leave it open to attacks.

At least with the Pi you know it'll continually be updated and more and more of it is becoming open-source so the community can take over.
>>
How does Odroid C1+ compare to Pi2 and Pi3 when it comes to making a homeserver out of them?
>>
>>53341380
enjoy your 3.x-kernel, though. that's the only one you'll get with these boards.

RPi is expected to come with official mainline 4.5 support soon.

>>53342982
wtf are you planning to sync? hundreds of GBs per day?
>>
>>53343156
Source?
>>
>>53343872
I tried using my Pi as a TImeMachine for my Mac. It took fucking forever to sync the data and I gave up. That's the only time I've tried doing something and decided it wasn't worth using the Pi for.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.