[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did streaming become so efficient in the last 2-3 years ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160208_120543.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160208_120543.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Why did streaming become so efficient in the last 2-3 years ? It wiped out piracy
>>
>>53338603

>Why did streaming become so efficient in the last 2-3 years ? It wiped out piracy

What?
Piracy is still VERY alive and well in today's internet. Hell, the majority of piracy is done VIA streams from illegal sites, versus downloads. Safer for the viewer, and most of these sites are hosted in/by places with little regard for copyright laws.
>>
>>53338603
Average bandwidth increased, better codecs to compress, and better processors to handle those codecs.

Its definitely hasn't wiped out piracy though, but the convenience factor makes it very attractive in 1st worlds, its rampant it poorer countries ofc.
>>
>>53338646
the average normie doesn't want to learn anything harder than netflix
>>
>>53338603
I tend to prefer to buy CD's when possible, but if I can't find something, damn right I'll pirate it.

For example, some of the early Ministry of Sound titles in the US. Hard to find or artificially expensive.

I also have a paid Pandora subscription because I fucking hate ad's, and it's suggested enough decent music to be worth it.
>>
>It wiped out piracy
>>
>>53338733
>Kanye got shit after this because people saw he had a tab for TPB on his computer
>>
>>53338686
>the average normie doesn't want to learn anything harder than netflix
And?
When streaming was still new the "normie" didn't want to learn anything harder than renting a DVD.
The "normie" will always pay for something, the media they pay for just changes. Piracy is still alive and strong, probably even moreso with how easy it is.
>>
>>53338768
Kanye got shit for this because it's fucking pathetic.
>>
Internet is now capable of streaming videos. It wasn't before. That's all
>>
>>53338706
>Ministry of Sound

Cool band, if you drop the "of Sound" off the name, and maybe optionally add Gibby Haynes on vocals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEi2j4QVnOk
>>
>>53338768
Kanye is the kind of guy who Googles his own name several times a day. Why wouldn't he search for himself at TPB too?
>>
>>53338768
How would he know people are pirating his shit on TPB if he didn't visit TPB?

That's retarded Anon. People are retarded.
>>
>>53338733
Coming from an insider in the music streaming business, Tidal is and always has been a joke.

Also, 192kbit/s AAC is all anyone needs in streaming quality.
>>
>>53339363
he wasn't searching himself, he was pirating Deadmau5's software
>>
File: 7DQI7.png (368 KB, 410x547) Image search: [Google]
7DQI7.png
368 KB, 410x547
>>53339459
I honestly don't give a fuck what he was doing. If he's ever dying screaming get back to me. Then I'll care.
>>
>>53339459
Contrary to popular belief you don't pirate shit just by visiting a tracker.
>>
>>53338603
I have like 3 streaming services and I use none of them. I got suckered into them due to "exclusive" content like Narcos and fear the walking dead. The only reason I haven't canceled any service is because I'm too lazy. There's nothing to watch outside the exclusive shit since I'm not located in murrica. The streaming library is non-existent due to syndication faggotry.

I just see the movies I want to see at the cinema and then use usenet to download TV-series. The only reason netflix etc survives over here is due to them having a few children shows. Feels like netflix adds a new movie every other month and a TV show once every 6 months.
>>
>>53339678
So you're just shitting out money each month for no fucking reason?

Are you retarded?
>>
File: 12742180.png (162 KB, 476x260) Image search: [Google]
12742180.png
162 KB, 476x260
>>53339509
>picture
the fuck?
>>
>>53339678
The fragmentation of the video streaming market is terrible, and it seems like it's only getting worse. I think it'll eventually end up as something just as bad for consumers as cable TV.

At least with music streaming (almost) everyone is on board and exclusives are rare and don't last very long.
>>
>>53338686
>le normie meme
>>
>>53339709
>So you're just shitting out money each month for no fucking reason?
Kind of. My nieces like to watch netflix in my home theater so I never bothered to cancel. It's about 50/50 if they want to watch a series on netflix or a movie from a movie streaming service. I keep them mostly because they provide dubs and subs in our native language.

>Are you retarded?
Just loaded with money. I eat out each day for probably twice the monthly cost for these streaming services with a monthly fee.

>>53339729
>The fragmentation of the video streaming market is terrible, and it seems like it's only getting worse. I think it'll eventually end up as something just as bad for consumers as cable TV.
It sucks big time. Especially if you don't live in America since beside fragmentation some fucking TV company got the exclusive rights in your area so forget having that series on any streaming service.
>At least with music streaming (almost) everyone is on board and exclusives are rare and don't last very long.
I usually just buy my shit from beatport or similar.
>>
Excuse me if I come across as mentally impaired to some extent, but what are these cables?

They seem to be fiber optic, but that connector leaves me baffled. Just as much as them just being labelled "computer cables".
>>
>>53338603
definitely hasn't wiped out piracy
the convenience and price factors are much improved though, companies know people aren't willing to pay out the ass anymore for media. Those that still fight otherwise are dieing in the waterr
>>
>>53339802
they may be fiber optic cables http://www.alogic.com.au/cabling-solutions/fiber-optic-cable/om3-multimode-duplex/sc-sc-10gbe-multi-mode-duplex-lszh-fibre-cable-50-125-om3-detail
>>
>>53339802
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_connector
>>
>>53338603
It hasn't wiped it out, it just stopped alot of people from doing it. The biggest complaint was price vs convenience. Going out to a movie rental store was a nuisance and tended to be overpriced by comparison. I have Netflix, even pay for the highest package. $12/mo is trivial compared to $5/movie/day. If I can't find it on Netflix I grab it the less legal way.
>>
>>53339868

None of that has anything to do with computers though.

You can see my confusion.
>>
File: a1415198112_10.jpg (104 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
a1415198112_10.jpg
104 KB, 800x800
>>53339727
Seth Putnam. He was a real faggot, and then he had a gay heart attack and died. He is greatly missed by all his gay fans.
>>
>>53339948
Those look like multimode fiber cables. They're commonly used in corporate environments where long runs are necessary.
>>
>>53339727
That is seth putnam of anal cunt injecting heroin in front of a badass marshall stack while getting a blowjob
>>
>>53338686
Normies literally Google "transformers watch free" or something similar and watch 480p streams of illegal movies.
>>
File: 1457175441467.jpg (66 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1457175441467.jpg
66 KB, 800x1000
>>53340168
hey no shit? does that fucking work?
>>
>>53339429

WAV is audibly superior to anything 192kbs unless you're using headphones
>>
>>53340427
>unless you're using headphones
WAV is lossless, it doesn't matter what you're using. It simply is better.
>>
>>53338603
>piracy
it is sure not as profitable, piracy was killed when dvds died out

now FILE SHARING, a RIGHT everyone has, that is going fine and making entertainment industry more profitable as free advertisement, as every financial data from artists and companies proves
>>
>>53340168
>>53340367
I just find full movies on YouTube
>>
>>53340367
yes

sites are full of sketchy advertisement tho
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.