[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using a text browser?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: kZ3DATv.png (195 KB, 1920x1096) Image search: [Google]
kZ3DATv.png
195 KB, 1920x1096
Why do you use botnet browsers filled with spyware? Why aren't you using a text browser?
>>
Because I don't have autism.
>>
Your browser isn't compatible with W3C standards
>>
>>53332020
are you sure? you are responding to b8 on 4chan
>>
>>53332001
>Why aren't you using a text browser?
I would use lynx on 4chan if I could get captcha to work.
>>
>>53332020
Not OP, but my experience:
>faster than GUI-browsers, no annoying heavy scripts or ads
>more comfortable to my eyes, less visual clutter
>tiny ram consumption, i can have 100s of tabs open with no lag

>videos? mpv ftw
>images? w3m nigga

so what is autistic about that?
got any valid arguments brah?
>>
>>53332128
>brah

Nope, you pretty much made it official: it's autistic.
>>
>>53332001
>using a text browser on an image board
a-are you retarded?
>>
>>53332147
haha XD funny shit brah xxXx

now seriously... your shitty humor aside
i am eager to hear your thoughts about this
>>
>>53332182
You can set up lynx to call up other programs for files. I'm sure other text browsers have the same ability.

So videos, images, and pdfs can be opened and viewed. But you have to call up other programs.
>>
The real question is, why would I be using a text based browser on in imageboard?
>>
>>53332257
at that point you godamn moron you might as well be using an actual browser.

Doing all that defeats the purpose and point lynx was made for.
>>
>>53332128
Your experiences on using a shitty archaic method of browsing the internet mean nothing. Whether or not you're an autistic hipster going way too hard on the /g/ memes has nothing to do with the fact that it is much more complicated to use a text based browser for most websites that exist.

It's literally shit unless you're running on a toaster.

Also
>It's like so everybody has to like it
Fuck off memester
>>
>>53332271
^this man got a point
but there is w3m for that
but i dont know about the captcha though
>>
>>53332304
>Doing all that defeats the purpose and point lynx was made for.
Nah.

Text based browsers allow you to browse the WWW. They only give you access to the text based content. You have the option of downloading the rest if you want.

Selecting exactly what I want to download doesn't defeat the purpose of the text based browser. But it may locate me somewhere on the autism spectrum.
>>
>>53332001
>using a text browser on an imageboard
pic related
>>
>>53332315
>Your experiences on using a shitty archaic method of browsing the internet mean nothing
first i was addressing>>53332020 argument, not calling your eye-candy method shit

>Whether or not you're an autistic hipster going way too hard on the /g/ memes has nothing to do with the fact that it is much more complicated to use a text based browser for most websites that exist.
1. using something different than you because it works better for me doesnt make me a hipster nor autistic
2. complicated? everything "PC" is complicated, but we learn dont we?
3. i know most of the time it fucks shit up, but for me it works well when i need speed on slow internet connection

>It's literally shit unless you're running on a toaster.
i dont get your logic here

>It's like so everybody has to like it
where did i say that?

>Fuck off memester
are you butthurt kid?
>>
>>53332001
how bout you first tell me why youre using unity?
>>
>>53332001
Please explain to us how this offers any kind of privacy/security over a modern browser?
>>
>>53332001
>concerned about spyware
>uses Unity

lol get a load of this guy
>>
Can't we all just agree that all browsers are shit and should probably be changed? Has html 5 killed javascript yet i havn't been paying attention.
>>
>>53332807
>Has html 5 killed javascript yet i havn't been paying attention.

retard
>>
File: 1453357700033.jpg (336 KB, 673x680) Image search: [Google]
1453357700033.jpg
336 KB, 673x680
>>53332001
>unity
>no spyware
>>
>>53332128
>faster than GUI-browsers, no annoying heavy scripts or ads
That's down to shit internet. Even the heaviest pages load in under a second. The bottlenecks are in your LAN and their server setups.
>more comfortable to my eyes, less visual clutter
Increase line-height, reduce elements. Easy peasy. You'd like Stylish.
>tiny ram consumption, i can have 100s of tabs open with no lag
Same here. It's called not having RAM from 2001.

>videos? mpv ftw
Inline without hassle.
>images? w3m nigga
Inline without hassle.

gg autist
>>
>>53332001
Because even with it set up to display pictures you still can't solve captchas. If that wasn't a problem I would already have my 1997 Thinkpad set up for shitposting. Instead I'm looking at TinyX and i3 which will likely function within the 72 MB of RAM that laptop has with several tabs open.

>>53332304
>at that point you godamn moron you might as well be using an actual browser.
The purpose would be using very little RAM. It's possible to have it display images without an X server and window manager running and is possible to load up several threads on 4chan and use just slightly over 40 MB of RAM total.
>>
>>53332896
well tbqh you got good arguments

but my third world uni internet is terribly effing slow
i heard about stylish, will look into it
i actually have 6 gigs of ram with 200mb OS ram usage, but still firefox goes turtle with many tabs open, guess its just a browser problem
>>
>>53332980
>It's possible to have it display images without an X server
wait what? how?

>just slightly over 40 MB of RAM total
waw, the lowest i was able was slightly below 100mb, and that without x
>>
>>53333140
>wait what? how?
With the framebuffer.
>>
File: Capture du 2016-03-05 23-56-27.png (333 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Capture du 2016-03-05 23-56-27.png
333 KB, 1366x768
>>53332001
That's exactly what I'm doing OP
>>
>>53333181
reading about it
much thanx man
>>
Just, everyone kill yourself, right now, do it.
>>
>>53332001
because the current year is 666+666+666+6+6+6
>>
>>53333484
no wonder trump is winning
>>
>>53333185
>watching people play video games
>zenburn
kill yourself my man tier
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.