[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have experience with eBay sniping? How reliable is it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: photo.png (5 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
5 KB, 251x251
Anyone have experience with eBay sniping? How reliable is it? What sniping software do you use?
>>
>ebay sniping
posting from 2003?
>>
>>53331077
n-no

I want to buy a laptop
>>
Bumping for interest. I still do it the old fashioned way by hand, but I don't want to miss out on any more deals.
>>
>>53330998
I run esniper on my vps.
it's the only way to win any more. It has the added bonus of preventing me from going full retard and overbidding just to win.
>>
I'm shit at sniping so I just pick a price about 5 to 7 $/euro/whateverlocalcurrency above current price and jam it in.

that's how I've got my work computer, a ps2, ps3, etc.

Going to buy a couple of faulty PS4s to make 1 working one as soon as I nail down an HDMI-using screen from ebay.
>>
>>53330998
Reliable? Not very. Most of the fun has been sucked out of eBay and now all the fags just set the reserve for whatever they want, which is usually 10 dollars less than the buy it now price.

I miss 2002 eBay.
>>
>>53331157
reserve?

Sorry I never really used ebay much.
>>
>>53331172
Probably let's say the price is about 60$ right now, the original price is 100$, so they'll hit 85-90$ without trying to get a lower price
>>
>>53331172
When you put an item up for auction you can set what's known as a "reserve" price, which basically is the minimum you are willing to accept. If the bids do not reach the price, the auction tanks and nobody wins (but you still get charged fees). This is why most items up for bid will say "reserve not met", that means the bid price isn't high enough for anyone to win yet.

So say you put up a PS4, and you set the reserve for $300. It doesn't matter how many people bid or how many bids are placed, if the last bid is for $290, nobody wins.

So most people just set the reserve for a slightly discounted price from the buy it now price and make it literally impossible to get a good deal.
>>
>>53331243
wow that's fucking awful and a huge waste of everyones time
>>
JBidder
>>
>>53331243
I set my auctions for $0.01 no reserve and put my faith in the free market and the quality of my ad copy.
>>
I doit manually like a real man, ive won 2 macbook pros, older models but for 100 each in excellent condition.

Also my current MIDi controller, an allen & heath xone xd in mint condition, shit wasnt even used that much, normal price for a seconhand unit is btw 350-500 dependiing hiw jewish the seller is, and i got it for 180 shipped.

The thing is, for a good deal you gotta wait for a naive soccer mom that has no idea on what shes selling or how to take advantage of the reserve price.
>>
>>53331371
>faith in the free market
muh libertarian economics
>>
So, you can enter a maximum big on ebay but it will only go up if someone else outbids you or how does that work?
>>
>>53331243
>>53331157
What would we better nowadays is to snipe newly listed buy it now items. There's a lot of people who are impulsive or tight for cash and will list an item low for as quick of a sale as possible. These are sometimes bought within seconds of being listed.
>>
I wasn't even aware that eBay still did auctions.
>>
>>53331443
That's right.
>>
>>53331457
Ebay is still quite relevant. All types of niche, or otherwise fringe items can be found on the regular. They are top notch for collectibles.
>>
>>53331523
How do you set it to not bid the highest amount you entered then?
>>
>>53330998
I use Gixen, free and werks.
>>
>>53331728
You don't set anything. Enter your max and the system automatically outbids others up to your max. If someone else already has a max bid set higher than the current bid, you might be immediately outbid when you enter your bid.
>>
>>53331779
So what's the point of sniping software then when this is built into ebay?
>>
>>53331793
Proxy bidding (built into ebay) bids automatically when someone else bids. Sniping waits until the last few seconds to put in your proxy bid, this prevents someone else from outbidding you because they won't have time to enter another bid before the auction ends.
>>
>>53331793
Psychology. If you type in a bid and you're immediately outbid, you will probably want to bid again. (Among other mechanisms.)
>>
>>53331830
This isn't really a good argument. If your opponent has already entered the max he wants to pay, sniping him doesn't give you an advantage.
>>
>>53332026
It works if your max is bigger than his max. You can't second guess yourself with sniping. You put in the max you are willing to pay and be done with it.
>>
>>53331421
>>53331371
>faith in the free market and the quality of my ad copy
>sold a 9-cell, $25 laptop battery for $1.04
>the 6-cell netted me $16
>>
Biet-o-matic

it's made by a German guy in Delphi, but it works
>>
>>53330998
I just do it manually.
>>
Do people still actually hold auctions on Ebay? I thought everything was just buyitnow.
>>
>>53335433
Of course, that's why this is at the top of every search
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.