[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC's increasing fan noise with age regardless of cleaning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: TheresYurProblem.jpg (142 KB, 502x339) Image search: [Google]
TheresYurProblem.jpg
142 KB, 502x339
Ok so I've built between five and ten pc's over the years and as they age they always get noisier regardless of how well the heatsinks and fans are cleaned. I've gone as far as removing the heatsink from a gpu and caustic solution to remove oxidization and replacing thermal paste. When I put a brand new set of components together they are always nice and quiet, but in a reletively short time that seems impossible to get back to.
What's going on here? Do processors just get less efficient over time or something? Do thermal diodes? Am I developing bat-like senses?
>>
Lube your fans up mate.
>>
>>53330696
Do you know how fans work? They have bearings, and as the run, they get bad and rough, which makes more noise. This happens with anything that spins, especially if it's not lubricated
>>
>>53330724
This.

What are you retarded? Fans use bearings and bearings need lube or else they grind.
>>
put air filters on your fan ports

you may end up cleaning your computer more often because of the dust accumulation on the filters but it will usually be only the filters you need to clean out not everything inside

it helps so much in keeping the interior and components of your pc dust free
HTH
>>
>>53330696
I know what you mean OP, this reminds me of when i tried ssd for the first time in a new setup with new fans. The case was dead silent. After just a month I turned it on and what is this shit. I just came to the conclusion that after some time you know that sound signature so well that you are able to hear even tiny variations in it. It's like headphones and 'burn-in' I suppose.
>>
>>53330696
>fan noise
>it must be the processor or thermal diodes, or my bat sense
>nothing wrong with the fans
>>
>>53330742
So my fans are wearing out in the span of one month? Am I the only one not replacing my GPU fan regularly? Lube with what? There doesn't seem to be a standard product that everyone talks about using on the vendors sites. Is this a big secret or something?
>>
>>53330969
GPU fans comes with a crappy fan curve by default, i.e. reach 60C, suddenly ram up fan like it's taking off. Fix the GPU fan curves with MSI Afterburner so that it rams up gently.
As for the CPU, use the bios to turn down the fan speed.
>>
File: Rage_angry.png (191 KB, 387x501) Image search: [Google]
Rage_angry.png
191 KB, 387x501
>The fan of your PSU starts rattling from running low on lubrication
>No easy way to just lube it
>>
Just replace the fan. How hard is it..
>>
>>53331059
>Just replace the fan. How hard is it..

AS HARD AS MUH DIK

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
>>
>>53330969
You can use something as simple as vegetable oil. Just get any kind of lube
>>
>>53330696
>between 5 and 10

how can you not be sure?
>>
>>53331003
Owning a Macbook really clues you in to how terrible thermal / fan management is on basically all (other) computers.
>>
Ball races last a hell of a lot longer than a month and never need to be lubed, they're sealed. Are pc fans plain bearing or something? If so you'd definitely be able to spend a tiny bit more to get ones with a ball race
>>53331123
20+ years with them, too lazy to walk down memory lane
>>53331114
Why don't shops sell a purpose made product?
>>
>>53331788
They do, it's called a hardware store.
>>
File: angry weaboos.jpg (15 KB, 443x330) Image search: [Google]
angry weaboos.jpg
15 KB, 443x330
Do this:
>take fans out
>blow the shit out of it with WD-40
>make sure you get the lube reach the insides
And very important:
>remove sticker from fans
>put one or two drops of pure OLIVE OIL on the hole
>you read right, not lube, olive fucking oil
>preferably a good one
>spin and push and pull the fan so the oil gets through the axis
>put more drops if needed and clean excess
>put sticker back
And enjoy your noiseless fans for many years now
>>
>>53332076
I mean the pc hardware vendors. If everyone's doing this to their fans there's a market for a product, and usually the manufacturers leap on shit like this. Like $1 worth of shitty oil in a tin that they claim is specially made for computer fans.
>>
File: 1456392624221.jpg (59 KB, 453x439) Image search: [Google]
1456392624221.jpg
59 KB, 453x439
>>53332295
WD-40 IS NOT FUCKING LUBE
IT IS A WATER DISPLACER
STOP RECOMMENDING THIS FUCKING SHIT

All it does is leave a greasy film that dries within three days and makes whatever it was worse because now you've got all sorts of dust and shit in there.
>>
>>53334205
this, plus I think it also damages plastics. It's good for getting nasty oil stains off your hands though, but that's not what it's for either :^)
>>
File: 1351531351.gif (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1351531351.gif
2 MB, 1280x720
>>53334728
>It's good for getting nasty oil stains off your hands though
Anon pls, they make proper soaps for that. Don't give yourself dermatitis.
>>
>2016
>not using a fanless build
you fucked up
>>
>>53334763
those soaps take lots of rubbing sand like stuff on your hands and doesn't always work for the really nasty black oil, wd40 actually dissolves shit. I generally try to stay away from bike repairs etc. though, so I think I'll be fine. It's really not worth the effort if you can just pay someone like 20 bucks to do it for you.
>>
>>53330696
Everything degrades with usage, fans bearings/bushings especially so.
>>
File: OTAiktL.gif (999 KB, 245x179) Image search: [Google]
OTAiktL.gif
999 KB, 245x179
>>53331098
Good to see a /b/tard expanding his horizons on other boards
>>
>>53331114
>You can use something as simple as vegetable oil. Just get any kind of lube
Or you can buy oil used for light engines and barrings. The easiest or most common would be sewing machine oil.

Just do a search for oiling PC fans. The short version is to pry off the sticker, pull out the rubber tab and put in oil. That fixes like 99% of PC fan noise problems.

If you are too cheap to buy the oil WD40 works but less optimally.
>>
>>53334205
>WD-40 IS NOT FUCKING LUBE
>IT IS A WATER DISPLACER
>STOP RECOMMENDING THIS FUCKING SHIT
>All it does is leave a greasy film that dries within three days and makes whatever it was worse because now you've got all sorts of dust and shit in there.

Which is why you can use it to lubricate so many common joints and have the fix last for months to years. Also the bearings of the fan are sealed so it's not going to dry out and vanish.

Try not to be a full autistic retard about this.
>>
>>53335001
>Which is why you can use it to lubricate so many common joints and have the fix last for months to years
No, you're just fucking wrong. WD40 should never be used as a longterm lube, its point is rust prevention and freeing lightly stuck bolts. The oil it has is not heavy enough for full time lubrication. Ask any handyman, mechanic, engineer, machinist you want, every single one worth their salt will call you a retard for using WD-40 in such an application.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.