[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux on laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: laptop-ubuntu-linux-500x349.jpg (36 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
laptop-ubuntu-linux-500x349.jpg
36 KB, 500x349
Is it a good idea to install a linux distro on a laptop? I remember installing ubuntu years ago and the laptop would get hot after a while and the battery last way less than in windows.
>>
it's always a good idea to install linux on a laptop. I am currently using lubuntu on a toshiba sattelite and I am a better man for it.
>>
Lightweight distros shouldn't be much trouble on a laptop.
>>
>>53326396
>>53326382
would it be a good idea to but ubuntu on a laptop with i3 cpu and 4gb ram?
>>
>>53326396
This.
Just get a small DE like Xfce or something and you should be fine.
>>
>>53326448
Would probably run fine but ubuntu-mate and xubuntu are much better in the convenience vs. resources tradeoff imo
>>
>>53326318

Just install TLP and you'll be fine.
>>
>>53326318
>ubuntu
Literally openly bot-net meme
Commit sudoku op, you're a faggot.
>>
>>53327343
>source?
Ubuntu literally means share everything.
>>
I have a HP Stream 11.

Want it to run smooth af and use it for writing documents.

Which distro /g/?

Maybe even Chrome OS?
>>
I installed Ubuntu on my HP which was was running Windows 8. No regrets.
>>
>>53326318
yes, using something more lightweight than win10 saves on battery life and also improves performance.

>>53326448
I wouldn't use the unity DE on a laptop with those specs though. Probably Debian with xfce/lxde would be a good pick
>>
It's a good idea if you like mentally challenged OS'es
>>
running Arch +Xfce on my 7 year old Atom netbook with 3gb ram, much smoother than it was on windows 7 or 10.
>>
>>53327566
>I wouldn't use the unity DE on a laptop with those specs though. Probably Debian with xfce/lxde would be a good pick

>dropping down to XFCE/LXDE on an i3
Why?
>>
>>53326318
Biggest problem I found with Linux on a laptop is that it often fails to deliver the same battery backup as it would with windows on it. My 2year old thinkpad looses 20-30% backup with linux on it as opposed to windows 10.
>>
>>53328019
You could just use a lighter version of linux and your battery would be fine.
>>
>>53328090
Negative, it has something do with the kernel or some shit like that. Have TLP running, used the ugliness of Lubuntu to the beauty of Plasma, yet not one that beats the battery of windows.
>>
Arch+laptop=mmmmmmnniicceee
>>
>>53327355
>Ubuntu literally means share everything
Yeah, share everything with the NSA.
>>
>>53328380
Negative, i run awesome+debian and get 6 hours out of my atom netbook.
>>
>>53327456
HP now sells their top of the line XPS 13 and XPS 15 laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled.
>>
>>53328967
oh, wait that's Dell sorry
>>
Elitebook 840 here, Debian works great. No heat issues or battery issues.
>>
>>53326318

Install Debian and for maximum performance/battery life install openbox or any other lightweight Window Manager that fits your needs.
>>
>>53326318
linux still runs hot on every laptop. 20 yeas of development, still shitty drivers
W10 is about 10C cooler
>>
File: IMG_20160305_112749.jpg (2 MB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160305_112749.jpg
2 MB, 1836x3264
lubuntu runs great on this piece of shit, what a confy piece of shit, replaced lxde with openbox though
>>
>>53326318
As long as you're not using a resource-intensive DE like KDE, any Linux distro should be fine on your laptop.
>>
Install literally anything but debian and avoid meme WMs like openbox, awesome, and i3 and you'll do fine

I prefer fedora and fluxbox
>>
>>53327415
DSL
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.