[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /gentooman. I have an old athlon XP 2800+. It works flawlessy.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: Athlon_XP_2800_Socket_A.jpg (195 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Athlon_XP_2800_Socket_A.jpg
195 KB, 800x600
Hello /gentooman. I have an old athlon XP 2800+. It works flawlessy. What to do with it? Don't want to trash it. I tought about making a NAS outta it, but it uses so much energy it'll be meaningless
>>
masturbate with it
>>
>>53324990
How desu senpai?
>>
>>53324977
Nice, keep it even if it's not used. Isn't that a Thoroughbred core? If that is the case it is one of the highest models before Barton took over. So a nice chip.

BTW for tinkerers, Athlon XPs can be modded by disconnecting and connecting those tiny bridges. You can unlock MP functionality and notebook-version like freqency scaling (but that can get a bit problematic with motherboards not expecting it).
>>
>>53325064
Nope. It's a barton. Anyway i have another sempron 2200+ completely working. It's a barton and i did the pinmod
>>
>>53325092
I meant it's a toroughbred
>>
>>53324977
>but it uses so much energy it'll be meaningless
There's nothing of value that can be done with it as long as this is an argument you make against using it.
>>
>>53325427
Ok, and let's say it is not a problem, what to do?
>>
>>53325558
It would make for a pretty nice NAS.
1. Put it in an atx board with atleast 1 pcie slot
2. Grab a cheap 3gbps SAS HBA or RAID card
3. ????
4. Profit!

HBA would allow ZFS or MDADM raid
>>
>>53324977
sounds like the energy argument specifically prohobits you from using it 24/7. (because a modern cpu would be cheaper within a year or so).
you can use it on a system where you don't use it 24/7 and a more energy efficient cpu would only be worth it after several years.
think of something where you accept that it isn't on 24/7 and thus instantly available.
maybe a workstation in the garage to look up manuals and shit.
or use it on a boat or mobile home where you have (engine) power available but don't use it a lot.
>>
http://ark.intel.com/products/87258/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N3150-2M-Cache-up-to-2_08-GHz

Even 14nm Braswell quad-core outperforms it at a fraction of power usage
>>
>>53325696
This
Pretty solid suggestions, just use it for little out-of-the-way shit that is uncommonly used.
>>
>>53325819
Not op. I have an xp-m 2000+ laptop. Upgraded to 1gb ram.
Will I be able to use Ubuntu mate with midori?
Or should I just install xp?
>>
>>53325851
https://ubuntu-mate.org/about/
It'll run it.
>>
>>53325889
Only a matter of how smooth it'll run.
In my experience midori is great on weaker systems but I can't find it in the tiny core repos.
>>
>>53325903
Midori and other webkitgtk1 browsers are years out of date and have a CVE list as long as your arm. Don't ever use them.
>>
>>53325903
I would think it'd run fine. The only limitation there is the ram, the proc is well above spec.
>>
File: screenFetch20160303_230956-1-1.png (72 KB, 952x467) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch20160303_230956-1-1.png
72 KB, 952x467
>>53325919
Midori is the only browser that will play smooth 720p YouTube on my d2500.
The rest either don't support YouTube or stutter over 480p. Firefox stutters over 360p.

I think I'll stick to midori thanks.

>>53325921
Ram should be fine, this screenfetch is with 7 midori tabs open and my file explorer+system monitor, otherwise the OS rarely uses more than 400MB on boot.
>>
>>53324977
unforturenaly, if you pay for power, it's just not going to be worth it for a 24/7 machine
you can get equal/better performing tiny single-board machines now pretty cheaply that use fuck all power

the only reasonable use i can think of it is if you want to make an occational-use nostalgia build to run old games on
>>
>>53326021
i'd recommend playing youtube with a system media player, like mpv

i can play 720p youtube video on a 2005 pentium M with no hardware h264 video decoder

an atom from 2011 should do far better than that
>>
>>53326133
Hey that's actually a pretty good idea.
Unfortunately the computer has a very limited internet connection (200MB a day) because I want to dedicate it as a study machine since I did poorly in my last year at uni.

No distractions = better studying.

That being said, I might do that on the xp-m laptop. If it can handle 480p playback and 3 tabs in midori (not at the same time) it'll be pretty sweet.
Built in screen, mouse, keyboard, speakers, and wireless too, i can set it up at my parents home for when I'm staying over in the holidays and shit.
>>
>>53325092
Hmm, true, I vaguelly thought the Barton die looks different but that was wrong.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Athlon%20XP%202800+%20-%20AXDA2800DKV4D.html
>>
>>53325634
There is no socket A with pcie
>>53325696
This could be a nice idea. Something like a multimedia machine for my car.
>>53326071
I found an old crt display. I think i could create something like a mame box
>>53326370
Anyway they are very very good processors still now.
It is a perfect facebook machine. Xp runs really well on it and GNU/Linux runs even better
>>
>>53326133
I've had good results from VLC.
>>53326021
Midori is ok except for when it decides to rebuild it's font cache and hog the CPU for 5 minutes straight.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.