[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is C a meme language? What are it's benefits over other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: C.png (150 KB, 2000x2810) Image search: [Google]
C.png
150 KB, 2000x2810
Is C a meme language? What are it's benefits over other languages?
>>
its very versatile
>>
>>5332452
How is it versatile? Not trying to be obtuse, just don't know.
>>
>>53324508
you're right op.. c is shit.. continue using html
>>
>>53324743
I never said that. I'm new and was wondering if that was the best option to start
>>
File: guideTo1stLanguage.png (74 KB, 661x716) Image search: [Google]
guideTo1stLanguage.png
74 KB, 661x716
>>53324776
>the best option to start
>>
>>53324776
Just start with C and see what mistakes you make that the other languages fix for you. You'll be much better than someone who starts with a language like Java.
>>
>2016
>unironically using a language that isn't memory safe
nice going you fucking babs
>>
>>53324880
>i rely on safety features because I can't program worth shit
>>
>>53324923
>Dunning-Kruger
>>
>>53324923
>just drive better bro, then you won't get into any accidents
good job using an argument already referred to in the picture, idiot.
>>
File: eraserhead.gif (908 KB, 490x257) Image search: [Google]
eraserhead.gif
908 KB, 490x257
>>53324508
I don't know what OS you are using, but I can almost guarantee you that the kernel is written in C. So tell me, is using the language that is the one your kernel understands natively beneficial? The drivers you use are also probably written in either C, or asm. C is capable of low level programming that traditionally fell to asm (or maybe Fortran or Cobol), and it's generally considered the easiest of the two to use and be able to get things done in a timely manner. Remember it was specifically to write an OS: Unix.

C is a very simple language. The reason it has such a bad reputation is because it gives you near total freedom, which can lead to problems if you are sloppy, or don't know what you are doing. By problems I mean you can seriously fuck shit up, whereas other modern high level languages tend to prevent you from taking things that far. It also kind of encourages sloppy coding practices, by making them easy to pick up, and use. But it doesn't need to be like that. You can force yourself to do things correctly. You can avoid picking up the bad habits. It's just that C isn't going to stop you from it.

If you are interested in learning C and using it competently and responsibly--and you should be because it will make you a much better programmer, especially if you learn how to program with it to begin with--I highly recommend using one of the BSDs, and learning it there. OpenBSD in particular is obsessed with code correctness. The C you encounter in OpenBSD is C done right, and it will help you pick up the right habits. Learn to use it like that and you've got no worries, and you'll laugh at how needlessly hard people make it by doing it wrong. And no I'm not shilling OpenBSD to you. It is what it is. Whether you like that or not is up to you. I'm just saying that regardless of anything else, it's a practical example of the kind of C programmer you should strive to be. FreeBSD isn't too shabby either, and you'll find the community more welcoming.
>>
>>53325200
Right now I'm on opensuse, and yes I really want to learn C correctly. Could I do it in a vm? opensuse is really comfy...
>>
>>53325226
Yea. In the very beginning it won't matter anyway. It's once you learn enough to start actually writing useful code, that you should get heavily into it. Study the OS, it's code and it's documentation (you won't find better anywhere), and maybe get involved--helping find and document bugs, or creating/maintaining packages are always very welcomed as long as the projects standards are met, and once you are making yourself useful to the project you'll find that the devs are actually not so bad.
>>
>>53325312
Can I use a normal linux DE? I've always wanted to be on maiden UNIX.
>>
>>53324508
I generally ignore people who talk about coming of age programming languages like Java, javascript, go.
>>
>>53324880
>hurr ban guns because I cant use the saftey
>>
>>53324508
Can we all agree to not shill for C language as it should be left for people who really are researcher and behave like a scientist whose work and art are minutely precise and they love you feel machine from as close as possible and let millennials learn java and javascript and make shitty android app and website ?
>>
Is Java a meme language? What are it's benefits over other languages?
>>
>>53324880
What alternative is there to C in low level programming? What language should you use for embedded, operating systems, kernel etc.?
>>
>>53325709

FORTRAN

BASIC

ASSEMBLY
>>
>>53325709
rust when (if) it matures
>>
>>53324776
First language you should learn is an easy so you have a quick and rewarding time getting the very basics down. I recommend a language such as Python or Ruby, some dynamically-typed, high level language. Once you learn the super basic shit, you have to figure out what you want to learn as a programmer.
>>
>>53324952
Keep texting/drinking and driving then.
>>
>>53325730
>BASIC
shit syntax, antiquated trash

>FORTRAN
okay

>ASSEMBLY
the very point of C was to have a high level language that lets you do low level programming so you wouldn't have to use assembly.

So why should anyone use FORTRAN instead of C?
>>
>>53325709
Ada, C++.
>>
>>53325733
>rust

>>53325992
I seriously wish more people would use Ada. It's essentially correctness, the language, and I have no doubt all projects would benefit if they had been written in Ada instead. But, you know, preference for debugging over correctness means you can write a lot of shit that looks like it works until it fucks your shit.
>>
>>53325775
The first language anybody should learn is Haskell. If you cannot figure out monads within half an hour of tinkering, you're not cut out to be a programmer.
>>
File: serveimage.png (25 KB, 534x416) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
25 KB, 534x416
Why not use Haskell?
>>
>>53326737
>>53326764
Two for one kek
>>
>>53325992
>C++
Honestly C++ is a very ideal balance between able to write low level code and not worrying too much about memory leaks like C. In my opinion C++ is more relevant today because most performance demanding applications (games) basically require it to run. For businesses running backend systems where security and consistency are far more important than performance, a language like java is really the way to go.
>>
>>53326876
Get the fuck out, /v/ermin.
>>
>>53324508
As system programming languages are concerned, the only advantage - like with PHP - is that it is available everywhere.
>>
>>53324776
Visual Studio Community is maybe the best IDE that exists. You can use C# in it and learn it in Microsoft Visual Academy site. Is the easiest thing to do.

I started learning with The C ANSI Programming Language and find that it's a good thing if you want to learn Assembly later.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.