[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All Memes Aside, Ubuntu Isn't Too Bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: Capture.jpg (150 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
150 KB, 1000x562
Ubuntu without Unity is actually quite functional and comfortable to work with. It's incredibly well supported and the ubuntu forums have solutions to just about any issue one might have.

Anyone else here actually enjoy Ubuntu?
>>
BOTNET CANCER
>>
>>53320410
unity was the "botnet cancer" you fucking retard
>>
>>53320462
no, it was visually pleasing botnet cancer, according to the unity creators there's a difference kek
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 480x480
>>53320383
Yes, without unity, that trash becomes treasure.
>>
>>53320383
If you're talking about Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Kubuntu yeah they're good, well supported and the community is helpful.
>>
Ubuntu mate anyone?
>>
>>53320383
ubuntu's fine, unity is the cancer which somehow managed to infect the default iso
>>
>>53320383
ubuntu = breddy gud
unity = abortion

get lubuntu for old PCs, xubuntu if you're concerned about memory usage, kubuntu otherwise
>>
File: Leave now.jpg (26 KB, 251x298) Image search: [Google]
Leave now.jpg
26 KB, 251x298
>>53320410
>Xubuntu
>Botnet
>>
>>53320383
My only real problem with Ubuntu is that the drivers are on a three month cycle and Ubuntu has no current way to use the latest stable versions. So you're often stuck with drivers that are at least six months old, and when they aren't Ubuntu often fucks up and builds them wrong meaning that essential features don't work properly.

It sucks when new users ask why their hardware isn't working and you're forced to tell them to try an unstable PPA that updates from GIT every night meaning that it randomly may not work and cause system crashes.

Also they need to either end their NIH bullshit and just ship Gnome again, or they need to remove all the Gnome components that they fuck up for Unity so that we can get an up to date Ubuntu Gnome.
>>
>>53321023
>end their NIH bullshit
This so much
fucking mir too
>>
>>53320383
>Ubuntu
not bad
>unity
bad
>every other DE
ranging from permissible to GOAT

you chose well OP, just install compton
>>
>>53320600
Mate is literally just XFCE but more bloated and less customizable

too bad MATE is thriving and XFCE is dead. If you're dying for MATE Gnome classic session is better
>>
>>53321112
Xfce is fucking garbage

Mate is good if you pair it with i3
>>
>>53320383
How do I add that bottom panel?
>>
>>53321023
>hardware isn't working
Hardware isn't working: Linux, the life story.
>>
>>53320383
ubuntu with unity is awesome, fuck off neckbeards
>>
>>53323694
The /g/ board is full of grandfathers who think it was better before and that still use pentium 3.
>>
>Oh look, it's the daily niggerbuntu PR shilling thread
>>
File: krunner_examples.png (39 KB, 533x427) Image search: [Google]
krunner_examples.png
39 KB, 533x427
To the people who are using anything other than kde: what do you use instead of krunner?
Locate files
Launch applications
Do calculations
Switch to running windows.

Especially the calculator seems like it is missing on every other system.
>>
>>53324045
this is the main reason I'm starting to use KDE. The system settings feel a little clunky but it's fine otherwise. Still haven't installed ksuperkey though
>>
Ubuntu without unity is good if you need a freshier debian with shit working out of the box. PPAs can make your life either easier or a living hell, but I would consider it a plus unless you need a lot of stability.

That said, I was wondering. I want gnome. Everytime I visit the Ubuntu Gnome site it looks kinda amateurish, as if it were an unoficcial, not so working Ubuntu spin. I also heard that Fedora is THE gnome distro.

Should I switch to Fedora?
>>
>>53324574
I actually like the alt+f2 keybinding, I am not sure why they would change such a vital key binding in plasma5.
The settings is a bit disconnected though.
I like the way it is developed but it is a bit too clear that it is not the same people who do all the things.
The system settings have a nice overview and a search that makes it easy to find the right category.
But when you go into the categories, you notice this search is not there, the search term is not transferred over.

So say you want to change the scroll speed of your mouse.
You open system settings, search scroll and see that input devices is the only category that fits.
Then you have to see that the sub category is called mouse and then the scroll speed is under the advanced tab.

Now this is pretty straight forward, but the steps shows how complicated it is.

Say you have a problem where a window gets dragged around if you drag on the window.

Now moving the window might be something to do with window management, so under window management -> window behaviour -> window actions has the setting for alt+drag to move the window.

But you as the user has to know that it is because it is a qt application and you are dragging an empty area, so what you are looking for is
application style -> widget style -> configure -> window drag mode

Stuff like this makes it hard to find the settings, so having the search in the sub settings would be great.
>>
File: 1428504589269.jpg (403 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
1428504589269.jpg
403 KB, 1152x864
Unity was always good. The Amazon meme is ridiculous, as all /g/ knows it's easy to disable it and Canonical already stated that they won't ship with it enabled by default anymore.

Unity also has great functionality and actually looks clean and minimalist.

The distro also has the best software support and drivers.

The only problem is the fucked up release schedule, which leaves some important changes behind. Like the freeze on Kubuntu that left it without the latest Qt version and then fucking up the entire system.

Ubuntu just needs a rolling release in order to be perfect.
>>
>>53324716
Depends.
You might need some software that is in ubuntu, so ubuntu gnome is good for this.
Ubuntu has a six months updating schedule, where fedora matches the gnome update schedule, so fedora is a better gnome experience in that regard.
I am not a gnome user, so I am not sure how well the ubuntu-gnome works, but I don't see why it shouldn't
>>
of course
it's the only linux trying to get out of 1980
>>
File: 1453583842465.jpg (63 KB, 535x462) Image search: [Google]
1453583842465.jpg
63 KB, 535x462
>>53320383
>not using xfwm's 4.12 Default theme
>>
>>53324745

That's true.

Whoever, I still find KDE the best DE around. They get so much things right that it denies their wrongs.
>>
>ditching the only good Linux DE, Unity
lmao
>>
>>53325126
I hate docks. I might use Unity if it was more customizable so that I could ditch the dock
>>
>>53325009
Obviously I use it too, seems like the only DE that tries to be usable for newbies veterans.
It does add some layers that makes it weird to use but the tools like krunner and all the kde applications makes it worth it.
>>
You are better off using Mint. Just download it as a torrent.
>>
I use unity daily. Only had problems with it in the beginning when it first shipped. Other then that I don't understand why everyone complains about it. Simple to use and mostly minimalistic.
>>
>>53325171

You can easily hide it.
>>
File: 2br4wj.png (5 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
2br4wj.png
5 KB, 234x216
>>53320383
Finally a quality post. Good jorb OP.
>tfw Kubuntu
>>
When I used unity it was pretty ok.

Of course I like to rice and it's pretty fucking limited, but something that I always liked is the OSX like bar at the top. Hell, I would say it has done more than other DEs at trying to be similar to that system.
>>
Unity is OK just remove shopping lens and Web app search
>>
Unity or not, Ubuntu distros have decent font rendering. How does that shit work? Everytime I have to use Windows it's terrible.
>>
>>53320383
Karmic Koala for life
>>
16.04 coming out soon.

I don't know if I should switch not or wait. I just hate when I update some shit and everything breaks. And I fear that.
>>
Ubuntu is pretty good honto familio
>>
>>53325230
yeah I'm retarded. I thought it wouldn't work for whatever reason. I googled, you can just put tint2 or whatever you want on top
>>
>>53325230
It's unresponsive and impractical
>>
>>53323694
>>53323852
no, unity is the slowest and least featured DE
I use fucking GNOME 3. I'm no hipster. That's as mainstream as a linux DE gets
>>
>>53320600
Here. It's what had me stay on Linux after elementaryOS got me hooked again. Pretty satisfied with how it operates.
>>
>>>/vp/25455682
>>
>>53321112
>Mate is literally just XFCE but more bloated and less customizable

It's like XFCE, but not deprecated, you mean.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.