[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do the Gentoo devs think of the "Install Gentoo" meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
What do the Gentoo devs think of the "Install Gentoo" meme?
>>
noone actually uses gentoo. the project is dead
>>
>>53318247
you know what? Ask this question on Quora :^)
>>
>>53318247
Well they did change the official installation method to Stage3 only so it is fair to say they agree that Stage1 and 2 is not for general use or even for experienced users and you should only do them if you got a specific reason to do so.
>>
>>53318255
Why did it die
>>
>>53318939
Applefags learned recently that drobbins, gentoo creator, uses an Applel laptop provided by his employer. On another note, you should still go ahead and install gentoo.
>>
>>53318476
what's the difference between using a stage3 install, and then re-compiling all packages as soon as your base system is up?

asking from a gentoo machine
all kvm vms are gentoo as well
the project isn't dead and i get updates quite frequently

it's seriously nice... like i get that it's completely niche and not for most people, but if you're a techie give it a shot. using it on a server with use flags -X -cups -qt -gtk -alsa etc... it's a great way to make your OS exactly the way you want it
>>
>>53321386
original question is phrased poorly:
what's the difference between doing what i described above and doing a stage1 or stage2 install? serious question, i have no idea, never done a stage1 or 2 install
>>
One of them is a macfag because he insisted that the whole thing is a timesink and if he actually used gentoo it just ended up with him ricing his obscure WM and pissing away time
>>
>>53318247
They most likely haven't even heard of it. They probably don't care about 4chan.
>>
>>53318939
They're fucking with you. Gentoo is still in use by the people who have always been using it: Server admins who want the lightest fucking thing they can find where they build in only the functionality they want and nothing more
>>
>>53321403
A stage one install is cross compiling the Gentoo source for the machine to create a bootable medium, then using the bootable media, installing from source.
Stage 3 is installing from a precompiled image.
Stage 1 was really only for people with hardware not supported by the stage 3 images, but now that Linux has become so ubiquitous it's really not necessary.
Stage 2 is somewhere in between, but almost never used.
>>
>>53322084
I guess you would need to use a stage 1 to install to an ARM device.
>>
gentoo sounds great on paper (compile only what you need, with architecture specific optimizations that normal distros won't include), but when you need 1 hour to compile a package even with an amd 8 core cpu it quickly becomes an exercise in masochsim. can't imagine how bad it would be on lower spec PCs, servers, laptops etc. arch is much better if you're not a god of patience.
>>
>>53318255
I'm installing it in a VM right now. I figure if I get comfortable with the process after a few times I'll put it on my laptop when I upgrade.
>>
>>53322435
I ran Gentoo on my laptop for quite some time, only had a dual core ivy ulv and compile times really aren't as bad as people say.
>>
tfw using gentoo as a base and docker to run applications because compiling everything is a waste of time.
>>
>>53322435
I run Manjaro on my laptop and I'm no stranger to waiting forever for things to compile. I installed Telegram from the AUR and it has to download a hugeass source file and compile it all whenever it updates.

Speaking of, is there a way I can switch it to using a binary version of the official client instead?
>>
>>53318247
http://asenna.gentoo.fi/

Why is this only available in Finnish
>>
>>53322110
I installed gentoo on an ARM device using an Ubuntu image. It was horrible but it was the only image available. No stage 1 needed.
>>
>>53322084
stage 4? When I download the gentoo tarball there's an option to download that one, is it better? I had no idea how to install it though.
>>
>>53318255
> noone actually uses gentoo. the project is dead
>>
File: 266289.png (152 KB, 553x401) Image search: [Google]
266289.png
152 KB, 553x401
>>
>>53322435
>1 hour to compile a package

It takes an hour at most to install the operating system on a shit CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKElaYBNFY
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.