[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on buying first-gen tech? Waste of money?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
What are your thoughts on buying first-gen tech? Waste of money?
>>
>>53316688
depends on how long the generation is and if it's upgradeable to similar to gen 2 hardware.

for VR, I think it's a waste with how fast it's developing.
>>
File: 600px-Virtual_boy_2.jpg (27 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600px-Virtual_boy_2.jpg
27 KB, 600x600
>>53316688
>implying this wasn't first gen
Also >>>/v/ is this way newfag
>>
>>53316688
Probably a waste of money now, might be worth it by August if they can get enough games working.
>>
>>53316705
That's why the samsung s6 & soon to be s7 are so cool. You can upgrade to VR for $100 instead of dropping the 6-800 on a standalone set
>>
>>53316688
1st gen is never worth the price, that's why its 1st gen.

But if you're a boss and get paid then you can buy cool cutting edge shit because that's just how life works
>>
>>53316688
I'll wait and see
>>
File: samsung-gear-vr.jpg (25 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
samsung-gear-vr.jpg
25 KB, 576x576
in my country i can have an samsung gear vr for free if i orderth galaxy s7.
is that shit worth the 100 bucks that is costs normaly? can i somehow connect it with a PC an play skyrim or somthing else?
or can i just play the the 7 andoid apps that are made for it?
>>
>>53319653
I hope you like android
>>
>>53316688
They make good toys for skill sharpening, that's for sure. I bought an Oculus DK2 so I could hack together an AR system. Now that Meta's doing pre-orders for their second headset, I think I'll sell it and move on to the real deal. If I hadn't done that, I'd be way behind on my skill set, but now I can actually make AR programs worth a damn and won't be going in blind.

I definitely want a Vive though. Room scale goodness <3 <3
>>
>>53319653
> is that shit worth the 100 bucks that is costs normaly?

Just barely. It's a neat toy for 360 video and low-end VR experiences but it lacks positional tracking and see below:

> can i somehow connect it with a PC an play skyrim or somthing else?

No. The USB port on the Gear VR doesn't work for anything other than power. Oculus is fucking retarded, they screwed over the peripheral market hard. You're not connecting anything to a GearVR except through the wireless network connection.

> or can i just play the the 7 andoid apps that are made for it?

That's pretty much it. If you want good VR get a Vive.
>>
>>53319810
I don't get it. What does Oculus have to do with Gear VR?
>>
>>53319834
GearVR is a product developed by Oculus in cooperation with Samsung.
>>
>>53316688
Massive waste of money considering the tech is evolving quickly.

I wouldn't recommend getting the tech now if you are on a tight budget and can wait at the very least for better bang for buck hardware and a solid software lineup.

I have been excited about it ever since I got a glimpse off of someone's DK1. The HTC vive at the moment seems like a more complete package.
>>
I have a Vive.

Honestly it was pretty cool but got boring and room scale became a gimmick. The headset is also pretty bulky and heavy.
>>
>>53320427
How'd you get one so early? Dev? Press?
>>
>>53320447
Beta tester.
>>
File: sony wins VR.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sony wins VR.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>53316688
Yeah, pretty much. Think of everyone with a 3D television. Think of everyone with a 4k television-- you can't even buy a movie at that resolution. The first iPod was a piece of shit.

With VR especially because people are going to realize that they have an $800 gaming device with no games, or at the very best a few tech demos that are maybe 10 mins long. People are still unclear if these devices are going to have exclusives.
>>
>>53320486
>you can't even buy a movie at that resolution.

You can actually. First you have to buy Sony's $350 4k Player. Then you can pay $35 for The Amazing Spiderman and Talladega Nights in glorious 4k
>>
>>53320532
Shit, did I say $350? I mean't $699.99
>>
Very is not just for games. Cheap high-def vr headsets have existing applications beyond entertainment. Obviously consumer vr will be the biggest market. That shit is here to stay.
>>
>>53320545
Yeah I was about to post, $350 for bleeding edge + Sony doesn't seem all that insane.
>>
>>53320486
>>53320532
4k Blu-rays are out now

http://www.blu-ray.com/4k/
>>
>>53319181
Yea no games no money and not worth it
>>
>>53320427
>>53320458
Pisses me off that Valve gave so many Vive Pres out to people that don't even appreciate it when there's devs that actually need it.
>>
>>53320566
Will these ever be playable on older Bluray drives / consoles via software update?
>>
>>53319653
>free
>$700 dollaroos
>>
>>53320605
I'm in the same boat as you man. I'd love to bring my project to the Vive but I just don't have the money to drop on one and even if I did the pre order wait time suuucks.
>>
>>53320611
Probably not. The new discs are 4 layers and hold 100 ish gigs. It's not a matter of just supporting HEVC which could be possible on console. Maybe they'll have an add-on like what Microsoft did with HD-DVD and 360. New console revisions will likely have it too.
>>
>>53319214
Mobile VR experience for anything other than video is going to be garbage.
>>
If you want a decent VR experience then I would say go for the GearVR now and just wait till cv2 or maybe cv3. The real headsets are absolutely amazing, It's hard to describe. It's sorta like someone explaining what it's like to take acid. They can give you all the details and you can conceptualize it but you'll never know until you eat some. Also the Vive has some great games out but at most, like 10-13 games that are real games, not demos.

So unless you're passionate about future tech and want to experience it, get one now. For those on the fringe about it, wait till May-December, BestBuy and other stores will have demo areas.
>>
>>53316688
For consumer goods, it's a yes and no.
Yes because like a lot of the heavily pushed trends, they fade from the public eye after a short while. Look at haptic controllers for games and force feedback mice and vests and 3d tvs and monitors and how 4K currently is. In almost all of those cases it would be a waste as they were the next big thing for a while and then just... forgotten.
If you buy it and enjoy it though it's not really a waste, and if you use it by choice and not a feeling of having to with what it cost, even if another generation doesn't come out or doesn't come out for a long time-if it's fun to have then it's not much of a waste.
Otherwise buying anything could be called a waste as an improved version will likely come out soon enough.
First gen tech is only possibly a waste if it doesn't see that level of hype-with the hype haptics and other things got, looking for stuff in the future that gets the same hype and seems kind of doubtful makes it not a waste, as that will likely be the only chance to get it and not make it from scratch.
>>
>>53321314
And it won't flop like 3D TV. It's literally so amazing and it has so much money and big time corps dropping in, as well as a shit load of devs. Well, maybe not AAA studios, but those indie fags will be on it like flys. A brand new platform that needs content and innovative mechanics. The current 2D game market is saturated for indie devs to really take off. VR is their holy grail. Though I expect mobile to take the majority along side Playstation VR. PC VR will grab a hold in like, 2-5 years. But they will lead the innovation
>>
>>53320458
>>53320427

Pics or gtfo. I'm having hard time believing that anyone trying the headset would call room scale a gimmick.
>>
>>53320427
I bet you hate types of innovation. hurr the first smartphone is bulky and gimmicky.
>heeds your word
>no one buys
>tech flops
you basically want us to be like Africa. I bet you're an nigger.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.