[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been using this for about three months now. It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9
File: Chromebook 720.png (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Chromebook 720.png
1 MB, 1200x1200
I've been using this for about three months now. It's fucking stellar for everything, /g/. These things really are the future. Microsoft and Apple have every reason to be afraid of these things.
>>
ChromeOS has noapps
>>
I might understand if you would say you put Arch on it
but not mentioning anything about change from the chrome OS...

the fuck is your use of a PC? browser?
>>
Really /g/? At this point you should just assume that 90% of users talking about how great Chromebooks are, are speaking of their potential when combined with a usable full OS.
>>
I'd get a chromebook if it could run linux applications
I know crubuntu is a thing but that's really more of a work around than a feature
>>
In fact even as a cheap replacement for a family member/woman who just needs a Facebook machine these are a stellar alternative to a Macbook pro
>>
>>53313458
Isn't that the same thing as a Windows laptop then?
>>
>>53313467
Like what? It can run full Linux.
>>
>>53313467
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_C720_Chromebook
>>
>>53313467
What specifically are you looking for? I've had very few problems running Linux programs and any problems I've had I've been able to fix with some googling and determination
>>
>>53313470
I've got my whole family on them. It's nice. No more trouble shooting windows shit, no more having to scan for virsuses or anything. Makes everything so much easier.
>>
>>53313479
For about half the price, this is the selling point, super cheap portable word processor that is lightweight with amazing battery.
>>
>>53313483
But why would I buy a chromebook to install Linux?
The main feature of a chromebook is to have chromeOS
>>53313489
>>53313491
No you don't get what I'm saying, I know I could install linux, but I could also do that on a Windows laptop.
Why would I buy a chromebook, which exists just to run ChromeOS, to install another os?
ChromeOs itself needs to be more useful
>>
File: 20140903-132255.jpg (50 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
20140903-132255.jpg
50 KB, 800x600
Don't see the point when you can buy a similary specced laptop running Windows 8.1/10, turn off secureboot/UEFI and put whatever you want on it rather than having to deal with Google's bullshit, and you'll still have that ugly Chrome logo stuck on the top of your laptop forever.

>Muh Microsoft tax

OEM copies of Windows 8.1 w/ Bing or Windows 10 are so cheap MS is practically giving them away.
>>
>>53313528
Because
>very cheap
>god tier battery life
>>
>>53313528
>No you don't get what I'm saying, I know I could install linux, but I could also do that on a Windows laptop.
>Why would I buy a chromebook, which exists just to run ChromeOS, to install another os?

you literally wrote:
>I'd get a chromebook if it could run linux applications

I think with your capabilities you never amass the required ammount of currency to get something like notebook
retardation is too strong
>>
>>53313528
>ChromeOs itself needs to be more useful
It's pretty useful from what I've seen. Honestly I would get me a Chromebook if only there weren't a specific few programs that I need, like Eclipse and similar
>>
>>53313528
The main feature of a Chromebook is that Google subsidizes the price of the hardware, so you can get a powerful computer for cheap. Cheaper than if it had come with Windows.

ChromeOS is only the second feature. If you want a Chromebook for yourself, put Linux on it. If you want to give your Chromebook away to a friend or family member, put ChromeOS back on it again. You can switch back and forth at will.
>>
>>53313545
What model is that? Do you really have comparable specs for a comparable price?
>>
>>53313564
Listen retard, I'm talking about Chromebooks as they are. Out of the box they're useless, I don't want a product that is useless until I modify it.
>>
>>53313596
>a Windows computer is useless until you install your favorite software on it
Oops, I guess you had better stop getting Windows computers too.
>>
>>53313545
The appeal is that it's the perfect casual laptop. OS is fairly simple with few options, and is basically a browser. It has no viruses, cause it can only install specific apps from chrome store. It auto updates, etc.

Don't get me wrong I have Linux and ricing is great. But sometimes you just want something that works perfectly and is easy to use for browsing the web or watching vids or whatever.
>>
>>53313595
That's the ASUS X205TA and you can get it refurbed for about $130.
>>
>>53313620
>Windows is useless
You're trying way to hard buddy
>>
>>53313620
ChromeOS has no software to install in the first place. It's completely useless.
>>
>>53313638
Every app that works in Chrome browser can work on Chrome OS. There are thousands of apps in Chrome store. Photo editing, text editing, etc.
>>
They're a piece of shit until you put another operating system on them, then your fight is with the rather bespoke keyboard layout.
They're good for a spot of late night shitposting from bed and some dorf.
>>
>>53313629
>Bay Trail Atom
Wew, no thanks.

Comparable Chromebooks get you at least Pentium/Celeron. If you go as high as $200-300 then you can get i3 and i5 models.
>>
>>53313620
Windows comes with a browser, text editor, video trimmer, image editor, and a note manager out of the box with no downloads necessary
ChromeOS has a browser, that's it
>>
>>53313420
Install gentoo
>>
>>53313661
Listen fucknut, I owned a Chromebook for a whole week before returning it due to it's complete uselessness. Every "app" you mention is just a garbage webapp that barely functions and takes up 4x as much CPU/RAM as a native program would. And there's no working FTP client, the only working torrent program costs money and is full of bugs. It can't even run Android apps w/o shitloads of bugs/issues. ChromeOS is trash.
>>
>>53313693
>talking out of his ass
>>
>>53313693
post yfw Chromebooks are deployed all over the education sector and are making Apple/Microshit pucker their buttholes.
>>
>>53313666
There are some bay trail celeron models like the Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M.
>>
>>53313713
Just fucking kill yourself already, Google shill.
>>
>>53313749
>Le shill may-may
Well meme'd friend
>>
>>53313728
That's because literally all you need for school is Docs
>>
>>53313770
Then post your favorite apps
Give him everything he just asked for
>>
>>53313775
Well, and webapps. access to teacher websites, student grades, research material. There is like no reason to pay $1000+ to do this in an apple machine, and no reason to do this on a slow, shitty windows machine.
>>
>>53313775
For schools and workplaces, Chromebooks are great because they're essentially locked down, near impossible to fuck up, easy to reuse Google zombie machines that can hardly run any games, even casualshit. For everyone else, they're pretty much garbage.
>>
What Chromebook is that?
>>
>>53313819
acer c720
>>
>>53313404
>no hdd
>no ram
>no cpu
>shitty screen
>extremely limited os
>no way to install a real os on it
jesus it's like you're not even trying
>>
>>53313819
Acer C720

It can run Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Windows, and if you're really looking for trouble, ChromeOS.
>>
>>53313803
ChromeOS loses to Windows every time in terms of performance because it's an overgrown browser running webshit as opposed to native apps or traditional programs. And no, the Windows NT kernel is not any slower.
>>
>>53313803
Yeah but those already work in the browser
All you need for school, unless you're being trained in an actual specific application, is a web browser and something to write documents with.
Chrome happens to do both of those in the browser
>>
>>53313686
Chrome OS is based on Gentoo.
>>
>>53313837
>No HDD
Has SSD
>No RAM
It's like $99 and has 2gb of it
>No CPU
Well, it is a shitty one
>Shitty screen
no arguments there
>limited OS
Actually really good for the most part
Not true at all. You can run linux along side Chrome OS, or just wipe Chrome OS all together. It runs SEABIOS
>>
>>53313854
It's actually fucking terrible.

Schools have these old fucking Windows laptops that take like 30 minutes to boot up and are essentially uselessly slow.
>>
File: os x on a chromebook.png (231 KB, 525x550) Image search: [Google]
os x on a chromebook.png
231 KB, 525x550
>>53313837
You can install Windows, OS X and GNU/Linux (or as I have recently taken to calling it, GNU+Linux) on a Chromebook.

What counts as a "real" OS for /g/ contrarians? Temple OS?
>>
>>53313404
>He's happy with his Jade laptop

Give it a year.
>>
>>53313862
Don't think it's based on Gentoo. It does use it's package manager Portage
>>
I've been thinking about snatching up a cheap one on ebay. I don't want to spend more than $60 because I know I'll just use it once and then throw it in the closet, but most of the cheap ones are ARM
How shitty are ARM chromebooks? I wanna mess around with linux on it too but I have no idea what can even run on ARM
>>
>>53313902
It's based on Gentoo.
>>
>>53313908
Sure I'll accept that.
>>
>>53313885
Why are you comparing old-ass laptops with HDDs in them to chromebook/modern netbook hardware? Do you think if you stuck ChromeOS on an ancient laptop HDD it would boot any faster?
>>
>>53313916
http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-secret-origins-of-googles-chrome-os/
>>
>>53313918
>Do you think if you stuck ChromeOS on an ancient laptop HDD it would boot any faster?
Well, yea it would. It's not a full fledged OS. It's basically a frikking browser.
>>
>>53313902
>>53313916

Check these:

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/ChromeOS

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-secret-origins-of-googles-chrome-os/
>>
>>53313898
I had an Acer chromebook and the trackpad flaked out on me after a month. Too late to return it, all I could do was ship it to Acer at my expense so they could send me a shitty refurb.
>>
>>53313918
Yes.

But not because ChromeOS is inherently better or something.

Because ChromeOS will be a fresh install that won't have a registry bloated from years of usage, dozens of competing startup programs, and a slow lumbering AV program that stalls the machine every five minutes.

A fresh install of Windows would be the same... for a little while.
>>
>>53313947
Wrong, it's highly locked down Linux kernel.
>>53313960
The only reason you can't do that with ChromeOS is that there's no software to install, lol.
>>
>>53313934
>>53313948
Reading that news article it said that while ChromeOS was based on Gentoo at around 2010 it's not anymore. They do their own thing by grabbing newest Linux kernel and adding their own shit. They still use the Gentoo's portage package manager
>>
File: 1357423233607.gif (2 MB, 445x250) Image search: [Google]
1357423233607.gif
2 MB, 445x250
I would still rather buy a Windows laptop and slap Linux on it just to avoid having the Chrome branding on it. That icon is just ugly as shit.

Imagine if every Windows laptop sold had a big ugly Windows 10 logo slapped on it. There would be so much shitposting about it it'd blot out the sun. But Google does it and nobody gives a shit.
>>
>>53314059
apple does it too.
>>
>>53314013
Oh so they configure their own kernel and use portage, just like in any gentoo installation ? Hmmm...

Gentoo is also known as a meta distribution for a reason, anon. I know it's hard to believe ChromeOS could be based off of it because of the memes.
>>
File: 1454557532306b.gif (1 MB, 680x551) Image search: [Google]
1454557532306b.gif
1 MB, 680x551
I was just looking at the Toshiba Chromebook 2 at Microcenter.
>5th gen dual core celeron
>4gb ddr3
>16gb ssd
>13.3" 1080p screen
>Skullcandy audio chipset

Only $270 brand new. I was honestly going to jump on it, but my T420 is still rolling nicely. As much as Id like the shiny new thing to play with, I would have no use for it.

>I do however have a use for the other stuff I bought today.
>>
>>53314074
Apple does the software and hardware themselves. That's a bit different.

Actually, let's up the ante. Let's imagine MS releases an OEM laptop series called the Edgebook. It has a Windows logo on it, It's locked down, requires you to flash custom BIOS to permanently get rid of it's warnings about "unathorized OS", and boots into a stripped down Windows 10 that only runs MS Edge/IE with Windows Store support. Just imagine the unending waves of shitposting that would occur.
>>
File: 1-windows_key.jpg (23 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1-windows_key.jpg
23 KB, 500x333
>>53314059
Well you know there's always at least one small windows logo on it
>>
>>53313666
>Comparable Chromebooks get you at least Pentium/Celeron
Wew lad, don't know if this is bait or you really are this retarded ...
>>
>>53314301
Excellent observation sir, I would also point out that it's difficult to buy any kind of external keyboard that lacks a Windows key.
>>
>>53314338
Pentium was revived as a brand name at Intel. It's a midrange product.

Atom < Celeron < Pentium < Core M < Core i
>>
File: gentoo.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>53314081
>Oh so they configure their own kernel and use portage, just like in any gentoo installation ? Hmmm...

Installing Gentoo is no longer a meme ...
Its now reality and will soon take over the world ...
>>
>>53313770
>saying "may-may"
kill yourself
>>
Every person who has asked me what laptop to buy who isn't needing major software brands and doesn't print a lot of things gets Chromebooks as a recommendation from me.

Before this turns into a war of how chromebooks have flaws and blah blah blah, you can't find a better budget laptop for the average consumer at a better price point.
>>
File: draked.jpg (9 KB, 192x110) Image search: [Google]
draked.jpg
9 KB, 192x110
>>53314395
God you're fucking retarded, what uArch do you think most mobile pentiums and celerons are based on ?
>>
>>53313863
>Well, it is a shitty one
the c720 actually has a butchered haswell whereas literally every other chromebook has a piece of shit celron/atom processor
>>
>>53314112
it's actually pretty good. Chrubuntu isn't good at all though and I never got around to trying to put a real OS on it before I gave it to my mom
>>
>>53313404
i spilled small amount of juice on keyboard and it completely fucked the keyboard. i tried to replace it but its the entire bottom half of the computer. i couldnt just clean it off and keep going. the bottom half is as expensive as a used one. just buy a thinkpad t420 for the price and enjoy an improved everything
>>
Currently using an ASUS c201 as a temporary computer . it fully meets my needs, I'll need to upgrade to something else when I begin using Adobe shit again. Paired it with a 24 inch 1080p monitor and a mouse/ keyboard. Perfect for shit posting , writing and research.
>>
File: 1366304073843.gif (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1366304073843.gif
2 MB, 640x360
>>53314566
>rockchip
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.