[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>most majors internships have a good gpa and show some interest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 88c.jpg (15 KB, 673x625) Image search: [Google]
88c.jpg
15 KB, 673x625
>most majors internships
have a good gpa and show some interest
>computer science internships
have a good gpa, show some interest, have a some experience with x,y, and z technologies, have some projects, show us your github account, etc

who else fell for the CS meme?
>>
>>53311560
Fell for it, regret it every day of my life

But I attribute my failure it to my inability to give a shit
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-04-10-59-00.png (214 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-04-10-59-00.png
214 KB, 1080x1920
>>53311560
Fell for it, got an internship at Google.
:^)
>>
Most CS degrees are too dumbed down to guarantee competence so this happens
>>
>>53311915
that's what happens when you want to push more people into tech

instead of providing incentives, you just cull fewer people
>>
File: 1453644574780.jpg (25 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1453644574780.jpg
25 KB, 400x300
>>53311560
>he doesn't have independent projects out of interest
>he doesn't learn new technology on his own
Let me guess, your one of "those" computer science majors? The ones who use Windows 10 and play League of Legends all day? The ones who browse facebook on their laptop during class instead of taking notes on a piece of paper. The ones who watch twitch streams in the library?
>>
>>53311560
What's great is a company like Valve where they won't look at your resume without a CS degree but won't interview unless you can show them all the shit you didn't do on your CS degree.
>>
I did it and now have a stable well paying job that I enjoy.
>>
>>53312197
why is this a completly true stereotype? ugh, its just as bad in Computer Engineering, I thought I would be safe
>>
File: 1447467884671.gif (976 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
1447467884671.gif
976 KB, 450x338
>>53313188
Not the same anon, but I was talking to my teacher about a project in our computer during the hour for an entry-level class and heard some kid say, "You think they'd be pissed if I installed league of Legends on here?"
>mfw

The memes are real.
>>
>>53313274
Computer lab*
>>
>>53313188
It's because literally every fucking retard and their brother thinks "I play leeg of legends and I torrent movies, I'm pretty much in the KNOW on PC's"
And they're always lazy mediocre idiots, who feel the need to be in tech, they end up in IT anyway the useless chucklefucks
>>
>>53311939
Not really.Its because CS is a rapidly changing and its not that easy to upgrade curriculums easily.
Just few years ago you could earn a job with just C and Java in your application letter but now you need JS,C#,Html,Perl,Python and all other shit.
>>
>>53313364
The fundamentals don't change. Colleges shouldn't try to teach some stupid technologies, but focus on algorithms and proofs.
>>
>>53313330
This is so true. Usually these faggots are the ones whining about how they "hate math" and never program outside of school. OP, if you're one of those people, then you'll never succeed in CS, because there's no shortage of talented whiz kids who are obsessed with math and programming. They spend nearly all of their time working on projects, going to programming competitions, and have 4.0 GPAs. These are who companies are looking for for their internship programs, assuming they're not some shitty local company. They can have anyone they want, why would they pick you?
>>
>>53313439
Well collages do teach them.Its just that fundamentals are not enough to get a job.Employers wants people who knows stuff about the latest meme tech not someone who wants to work as a professor.
>>
>>53313516
colleges
FTFM
>>
>>53312662
>tfw posting things like this in these threads in order to convince myself that I wasn't scammed
>>
>>53313652
But what about those of us that are actually happy?

I get almost 2 months of paid vacation a year and get to basically do whatever I want every day as long as it benefits the company in some way.

Today they ordered in food and we drink beer all day on Fridays.
>>
You're suppose to get a basic degree in communications and build from there.
Duh.
>>
>>53311560
Fell for it, showed them my projects
Got an internship at IBM

mad cause bad?
>>
>>53312197
this pretty much. Super accurate at my university
>>
>>53312197
>The ones who watch twitch streams in the library?
I hate those guys.
>>
>>53313851
I can confirm CS jobs are chill af if youre good.
>>
>>53312197
>taking notes on paper
org-mode or bust
>>
>>53312197
Why do people bring their laptops to class?
I just never understood it. You're paying for the course (or at least your parents are).
Can normies not really handle less than 10 seconds without social media?

Taking notes with pen and paper is the only effective way to learn something.
>>
>>53313364
The issue is many schools instead of using CS to teach CS they make some half assed degree that is a mix of SE and IT with none of the skills of either.

IT want people with hands on experience with tech like found in diploma from reputable technology institutes, and Development places want people with actual programming knowledge found in a SE or CE degree.
>>
>be me
>be everything described in this thread, cs major, league player, twitch viewer

Now I'm graduated, unemployed. Don't fall for the meme kids.
>>
>>53314131
CS isn't the meme.

You are the meme.
>>
>>53312197
>making your personal projects public
well what kind of person do we got here?
i think we have one of them social butterflies, boys
>>
>>53314146

No you're the meme. REEEE
>>
>>53314122
>Taking notes with pen and paper is the only effective way to learn something.
This statement is pretty goddamn ignorant.

Yes, it's proven that the best way to learn is with pen and paper.

That being said, some people learn well enough or even better by typing something out, or researching the topic as the professor speaks.
>>
>>53314131
at least you graduated you fuck

I have to graduate this year and i'm scared of failure and procrastinating like shit on my bachelor's project
>>
>>53314165
They shouldn't have to search for information. The professor should be able to supply it.
As for typing, I really disagree.
Look at it this way: do you remember a majority of posts you've type on here?
>>
>tfw graduated with CS degree
>tfw have several projects on github
>tfw apply to jobs
>tfw only offered an internship as QA because according to the company they don't hire you unless you interned with them
>tfw finish internship
>tfw they told me they don't have any open positions
>tfw now no job
>>
>>53314207

No job but experience, probably worth m8
>>
>>53314186
>The professor should be able to supply it.
Most professors taught too slowly to hold my attention.

While they spent 10 minutes explaining what the difference between a WAN, LAN, and MAN, I'm looking at implementation details of MANs in major cities.

Again, everyone knows writing is generally the best way to memorize most things, but it's still not always necessarily the case.
>>
>>53314207
can't you use the newly finished internship on ur resume/CV to get hired somewhere else?

Isn't the company relevant enough that the internship can get u hired somewhere?
>>
>>53314207
You wouldn't be in this problem if you just went and got a job to put on your resume, jeez!
>>
>>53314257
I have the internship and experience as a researcher. I still don't have any luck finding something else.
>>
>>53314390
what did you do in the internship?

Also what d oyou mean experience as a researcher?
>>
>>53314493
take part in code reviews, write system tests (sometimes unit and integration tests if needed), and perform manual and exploratory testing.

I was a researcher for two years at my university where I mostly worked on a couple of JavaScript projects.
>>
>>53311560
>tfw I got an internship
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.