[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a single home NAS solution better than this Protip: you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
Name a single home NAS solution better than this

Protip: you can't
>>
so 500$ for a piece of plastic with a lan and usb port which I can put 4 hdds into
wow what a deal
all of these solutions are shit when it comes to pricing aren't they ?
>>
>>53311532
not really when you factor in how retarded most people are. . .

but in general they kind of suck unless you go for the prosumer/small business level stuff and you can easily build something cheaper and have more options when it comes to hardware and overall capacity(at the cost of space efficiency)
>>
>>53311470
eh, you'd be better suited building a low power sff box in a node 304 or something for a comparable price.

Even the shittiest pentium or APU is going to get you more throughput and performance that that thing.
>>
>>53311470
can I install centOS on that thing? What about a SFF quad-bay x86 celeron I buy for $50 instead?
>>
>>53311532
>mobo w/ cpu on board: $40
>cheap ass case: $30
>non housefire psu: $30
>8gb ram bcuz freenas hogs RAM: $45
>8gb usb drive to run freenas off: $15

You can probably go cheaper, but this is when you buy all new parts. The bulk of the cost is in the drives anyway.
>>
>>53311532
A honda civic has 4 wheels and drives, everyone should buy honda civics.
>>
>>53311470
one word: cloud
>>
>>53311470
old computer with a few hard drives stuck in it
>>
>>53311470
>any $15 craigslist core 2 duo PC
>insert drives
>>
>>53311591
But can it do media streaming?
On the go mobile phone access?
Personal cloud?
On the fly transcoding?
Raid 5 and 6 without an expensive raid controller?
Hot swaping support?
Easyily expandable to huge capacity using compact expansion enclosure?
Cross platform file sharing?
File synchronization?
>>
>>53311656
buy a twing/o/
>>
>>53311698
>But can it do media streaming?
yes
>On the go mobile phone access?
yes
>Personal cloud?
yes
>On the fly transcoding?
yes
>Raid 5 and 6 without an expensive raid controller?
depends
>Hot swaping support?
yes
>Easyily expandable to huge capacity using compact expansion enclosure?
yes
>Cross platform file sharing?
yes
>File synchronization?
yes

8/9 of those features are handled by software
>>
>>53311697
>>53311682
>>53311641
>>53311604

Its all about the features.

Can those do all of these things? >>53311698

If so I'm sold. If not, why the fuck not?
>>
>>53311743
yes
install freenas if you want ez mode
or just use a full featured server distro like CentOS or Debian, which can do everything a qnap can do plus more
>>
>>53311729
What software? Also ease of use is a factor in this as well. If you have to jump through flaming hoops just to connect to chromecast what's the point?
>>
>>53311743
read >>53311729
the only thing stand alone nas boxes have on building one yourself, is being more idiot proof, buying one is basically admitting you are an idiot
>>
>>53311698
did you mean to ask: can it run linux?
>>
>>53311470
Jokes on you, I don't even know what NAS is!
>>
>>53311714
This
>>
File: 1456680685751.jpg (328 KB, 960x895) Image search: [Google]
1456680685751.jpg
328 KB, 960x895
>>53311470
>Name a single home NAS solution better than this
>
>Protip: you can't
Protip? More like IDIOTTIP

Just use freenas or make a server
>>
>>53311772
EZ mode: http://www.freenas.org/about/features.html

If you want more control than you install CentOS and install the services you need to use, i.e. plex for streaming/transcoding, etc.
>>
>>53311772
GNU
N
U
>>
>>53311765

Where would one find guides on setting up a centos or debian server to do all those things?
If what you say is true then I'm all for it, as long as I can make it easy to use for the family and there aren't a bunch of technical hickups because some neckbeard forgot to make his free software actually fuctional.
>>
>>53311470
>>53311772

How woefully retarded are you? Why would you ever think a full-fledged OS would not be able to perform all of those tasks?

Where do you think QNAP gets its software from?
>>
>>53311825
the snapshot feature in freenas for the accident prone people in your live can make live easier, unless you are going to setup user specific permissions, which you fucking should even with freenas, is probably the only easy way to avoid people deleting your data on accident
>>
>>53311844
>what is google
https://wiki.centos.org/Documentation

if you need to be this spoonfed then you should install freenas instead tbqh
>>
>>53311886
no, if you need to be spoonfed, let him buy the idiot solution and never have to bother us again
>>
>>53311899
good point

>>53311470
YOU ARE EXACTLY 100% RIGHT OP! EVEN THOUGH YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SERVERS, YOUR OPINION IS COMPLETELY VALID AND YOUR ASSERTIONS ARE TRUE!
>>
>>53311886

But can freenas do plex streaming with chromecast
>>
>>53311935
let me google that for you: https://www.samkear.com/freenas/install-plex-media-server-freenas

yup
>>
File: large.png (200 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
large.png
200 KB, 500x450
>>53311919
Spoonfeed me sempai

Ahn~
>>
>>53311957
see what i mean, he isn't even typing his mouth breathing thoughts into google to see if it supports it or not
>>
>>53311470
A raz pi with 4 USB hard drives attached. I Half the price, and fully compatible with every infrastructure.
>>
>>53311983
Actually I made this thread with the specific goal of enraging you so that, by arguing with my purposely retarded posts, you give me the information I desire

Much more effective than waiting weeks for a vague or unhelpful answer in /sqt/
>>
>>53312013
>raz pi with 4 USB hard drives

I couldn't imagine a slower NAS

You would have the ethernet and 4 HDDs on the same USB 2.0 hub

Your throughput per drive would be like 10MB/s

Get something with at least a sata bus like a banana pi or cubie
>>
>>53312039
oh wow, OP, what a trailblazer you are

we've never seen this strategy before, you should write a book or something

you could LITERALLY change the world
>>
>>53311714
Hon Hon
>>
>>53312070
>mad for getting played
>>
>>53312070
> I've never seen this strategy before

Nice sarcasm. Its an old trick but it gets results.

Keep being salty
>>
how much of a mistake would this be

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesale-2-3TB-HDD-Network-Storage-Cloud-storage-office-Personal-NAS-USB3-0-port-Support-JOBD/32290855543.html
>>
>>53312039
i'm not actually mad, i've just read a lot of these thread recently and there is a ton of spoonfeeding going on
>>
>>53312188
Why do people buy things they don't even know the specs for?

Do you realize that's how you get ripped off?
>>
>>53312188
probably not terrible but not definitely not good, i wouldn't go with a consumer nas at all, and i wouldn't go with something with less than 4 disks(i don't want to deal with limited capacity of 2 disks or having no fault tolerance if i go for saturating bandwidth)
>>
I'm a complete noob and interested in building a small NAS for my house that would be able to host and serve all my media to the rest of my house/TVs/consoles/etc, host simple things like an email or mumble server, perhaps a gaming server or two, and keep an extra drive or two with backups of all of the data at all times. What would I need to get for something like that? What if I was willing to spend a bit more than the bare minimum to get a bit more power to have room to experiment? I'm also interested in running a Discourse installation so that I can muck about with it.
>>
>>53311656
Unless you build your own car
>>
>>53311669
One word: privacy
>>
>>53312246
http://www.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6106

doesn't say what software it uses which is concerning
>>
>>53312423
there's still no specs

what CPU?
how much ram?
>>
>>53312350
hosting/streaming media is easy anyone old computer from the last 5-8 years can do that, i never keep backups in the case, ever, it's a bad idea, especially if the drive(s) are always connected

think about that, for a second, you get robbed, they take your shit and the backup of your shit, if it's always connected, and you never use it, you just burned through the standby time which is power on time so that drive fails around the same time as the others anyways
>>
>>53312486
Hmm, what about keeping them in a safe and making a daily backup? Is there good software for that? I might just save up and build a new PC and turn my old one into the NAS.
>>
>>53311470

DS1513+

Just love Synology Hybrid Raid
>>
>server
>no mention of ecc ram
Hah. Neo /g/
>>
>>53313523
What does shr even do?

>>53313727
> snakecc oil ram
>>
>>53313771

It's a better version of Raid5 where you can mix different size drives + some other features which makes it easier to add drives etc. etc..
>>
>>53313771
>What does shr even do?
It's a FS-level redundancy system that allocated data a parity blocks more flexibly than traditional RAID volumes, so you can grow pools by incrementally adding or upgrading disks.

Note that this takes fucking forever whenever you do it though.
>>
>>53311470
MicroServer G8?
Synology DS3615xs?
My setup of a pair of R610's and 4 MD1220's (Active / Active w/ storage spaces direct)?

Better is subjective...
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.