[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is it the most used programming language when no one likes it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: Java_logo.png (7 KB, 259x259) Image search: [Google]
Java_logo.png
7 KB, 259x259
How is it the most used programming language when no one likes it?
>>
>>53298581
Because it's easy
>>
>>53298610
Python is easier
>>
>>53298581
Frameworks and business.
>>
Because it came with my ask toolbar
>>
Neckbeards complaining on /g/ is not the equivalent of the broader opinion of the. industry
>>
>>53298719
But the neckbeards on Hacker News and reddit hate it too
>>
>>53298746
Nobody has ever cared about a neckbeard opinion ever
>>
>>53298581
but everyone with a brain loves java
>>
>>53298788
t oracuck
>>
Java is the "most used" in exactly the same way "Windows XP" is the most used OS (even today):

businesses want to buy shit in bulk & cheap. this means everything from computers to Pajeet and Rajesh who write Java.

eventually smarter people realized since Java is already everywhere (see above) the platform can be used better than Java uses it.
>>
It will work on everything from a supercomputer to an ATM and it's an easy language to pick up.
>>
>>53298581
Portability
>>
File: 2016-03-03 23.37.04.png (44 KB, 1080x386) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-03 23.37.04.png
44 KB, 1080x386
Java 8 is actually pretty nice...
>>
>>53298581
Because it allows you to pass CS classes by letting you write tons of boilerplate earning partial credit when you have no idea how to solve a given problem at hand.

>java is the reason 99.5% of CS grads can't fizzbuzz
>>
>>53298838
lololololololololololol no
>>
>>53298856
FizzBuzz is a code monkey task and CS isn't a programming degree

What is worse is that some CS majors can't prove complexity bounds for trivial algorithms such as quicksort, which is very much fundamental to CS.
>>
>>53298842
This reminds me of C++.
It could do that years ago.
Or PHP
Or JS
Or pretty much fucking anything else
>>
>>53298902

If you don't understand coding, you can't even begin to understand how to analyze programs.
>>
>>53298902
>FizzBuzz is a code monkey task and CS isn't a programming degree
FizzBuzz is a test that *every* CS major should pass, period.
>>
>>53298938
Lisp has done it since the 50s

There has been essentially zero progress in programming languages since then
>>
>>53298959
>There has been essentially zero progress in programming languages since then
lol
>>
>>53298581
It was a meme right around Y2K. COBOL mainframes were getting replaced left and right, and they thought "You know, this object-oriented Java thing looks pretty neat. And look, we can even have a web interface so our employees can use the database anywhere!"

Only problem is that 15 years later Java has aged quite terribly. Nowadays it's kept around mostly for old Y2K era stuff, CS students learning OOP and Minecraft.
>>
>>53298902
>CS isn't a programming degree
Then its a waste of time, you might as well do Art History, at least then you'll have girls in your classes.

>What is worse is that some CS majors can't prove complexity bounds for trivial algorithms such as quicksort, which is very much fundamental to CS.

Not fundamental to getting a job though is it?

Computers haven't changed in any significant way since 1972 that's why we still use C as our only systems language, everything else is just a result of Moore's law.

Stop pretending that anything other than programming actually matters in the world of today.
>>
>>53298944
You don't have to be a plumber to know that shit runs down hill.
>>
>>53298581
Gets your work done.
>>
>>53299065
Everything about your post is why CS graduates can't pass FizzBuzz and why FizzBuzz was even created to begin with.

It's actually pretty insane how inaccurate everything in your post is.
>>
>>53298581
It just werks
>>
It's got class.
>>
File: 1360186926381.png (6 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1360186926381.png
6 KB, 400x400
>>53298842
>lets try to make Java be more like better languages, such as Javascript, without admitting that's what we're trying to do.

Javascript gave you lambdas too, you'e welcome.
>>
>>53299094
I don't have a CS degree (or any degree), but I do have a programming job.

Tell me more about how CS degrees aren't a complete waste of time.
>>
>>53299127
the said part is javascript is prototyped so it makes sense to have function calls like that. it's almost a shame that Java is taking anything from Javascript
>>
>>53299156
Are you coding simple web/enterprise apps?

Or are you working on machine learning or distributed computing?

I believe it's the former, based on you not having a degree.
>>
>>53299156
I'll tell you that getting a CS degree is absolutely useless if all you want to do in life is "have a programming job" where you have zero autonomy.

pro-tip: someone up the chain, with the proper credentials built a design and has hired someone to build it. guess where you fit in? This isn't a bad thing, of course, the world needs its code monkeys.
>>
>>53299156
because if you want to work on something new and exciting, it will be funded by either the big 4 or the company's clients will be the big 4. And if you want to work for one of those companies - big 4 or selling to the big 4 - They won't consider you without a degree.

Pay 2 win motherfucker.

Also you should consider that pretty much nobody except NEETs and autists can learn CS by self-study because it's so obscure and swamped in jargon. If you aren't already in the club, how can you possibly get in without some insane self-control and drive?

You delude yourself dude.
>>
>>53299156
the guy with the cs degree made the software you are using
>>
>>53299156
>Tell me more about how CS degrees aren't a complete waste of time.

Depends. Learning the content of a CS degree on your own is useful. Learning it in school is an expensive waste of time and you'll come out with inferior knowledge too after spending far more time on it.
>>
>>53299065
>at least then you'll have girls in your classes.
I'd rather have the boys in skirts that CS offers tyvm.
>>
>>53298581
Because it is so widely used. Just like C. Just because you hate Java or C, and can name off dozens of better languages to use instead, doesn't meant that your employer will give a flying fuck. More often than not in life, for some reason, you'll find that your employer will not give a single fuck about how you'd do shit differently, if you were in charge. If you do ever find yourself in charge of a project though, and have the freedom to decide on what will be used, then by all means feel free to not use Java, or C.
>>
>>53298842
>>OO
God I know that feel from earlier projects, I never felt as simultaneously satisfied and disgusted with myself as that until I went to Thailand to fuck a ladyboy.
>>
>>53299127
>Javascript gave you lambdas too, you'e welcome.
Bless Javascript for inventing lambdas!
>>
File: .jpg (51 KB, 640x371) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
51 KB, 640x371
>>53299266
>>53299404
You don't need to let everyone know you're gay. We get it. You people exist.
>>
>>53299156

>programming job

except you're not a software developer and most top tier employers won't even consider you. You probably make shitty CRUD apps. Any respectable developer would not refer their job as simply a "programming job." It definitiely sounds like you don't know the difference.

Most Bachelors for Computer Science can be done in 3 years if you take the max credits per semesters and maybe take some summer classes. So you would be done when you're only 20 or 21 years old.
>>
File: 1451834072445.jpg (49 KB, 672x492) Image search: [Google]
1451834072445.jpg
49 KB, 672x492
>All these butt-blasted CS babies

>>53299183
Yeah I actually do things that make money.

>machine learning or distributed computing
Why are these the only two examples that anyone can provide of "cutting edge" research these days? Have a look at the history of computer science and all the shit that they did in the 1960s and 70s, the shit we do today is nothing compared to what they did. You're literally researching better data-mining techniques. Its fucking sad.

>>53299207
>pro-tip: someone up the chain, with the proper credentials built a design and has hired someone to build it. guess where you fit in? This isn't a bad thing, of course, the world needs its code monkeys.

I can't believe that you actually think this is what you or any other CS major will be doing after you graduate. Also I work for a small company, I sit in the same room as the guy who owns it, I have plenty of ownership and input on the design of the things I work on.

>>53299218
>because if you want to work on something new and exciting, it will be funded by either the big 4 or the company's clients will be the big 4

Most "innovation" and new products from the "big 4" occur through acquisitions. There are plenty of options for you to do interesting things in small startups without working at the big 4. Working in a huge corporation isn't something I personally want to do, and if you think its worth spending 4 years of your life trying to attain that then fair enough, go for it.

>>53299222
Hmm no. Steve Jobs, Gabe Newell and Mark Zuckerberg, and other such college dropouts made the software that you and I use.

>>53299224
I actually agree with this. Plenty of computer science concepts will aid you as a programmer, but you can learn that shit as you go. The math is obviously a waste of time though.

>>53299266
Scotland is nice.
>>
>>53298938
>Or PHP

No. Those pig disgusting array_ functions are NOTHING like this.
>>
File: 1455855418812.jpg (8 KB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
1455855418812.jpg
8 KB, 190x200
>>53299647
>y-you must be shit!
>y'you're n-not a real software d-developer!
>>
>>53299654
>he could be making so much more money with minimal additional effort
You do you though.
>>
>>53299702
>implying you're not shit
>mad fat neckbeard with no real skills

good luck at McDonalds
>>
>>53299158
Prototypal inheritance is better than class-based inheritance, one of the great ideas that came out of Xerox PARC in the 80s. Unless you actually like having a rigid taxonomy because you're a masochist.

>>53299466
It was the first mainstream language to have them, "mainstream" meaning "people actually using the language". After Javascript, Python got them and other languages followed suit including C# and Java.
>>
>>53298581
Everyone that I know who loves Java is too dumb for C++. My Uni starts teaching with Lisp and then switches over to Java after 3 months. WHY, FUCKING WHY?
>>
>>53299749
>so much more money
I'm doing just fine thanks.

>minimal additional effort
>4 years of college and tens of thousands in tuition fees
Right.

>>53299770
If you ever do get a developer job, ask your boss for a standing desk. There's no way you'll be able to sit down after being this butthurt.
>>
>>53299654
a very clever and subtle troll for /g/. good job
>>
>>53299855

>Doesn't know about financial aid grants and scholarships

>too dumb to handle college

I have nothing to be butthurt about since I have something you don't. At most, I only ever had to take federal loans and was able to repay it back within a year of graduation. I had a lot of fun too, so there was nothing to regret.

Maybe it's good that you didn't go to college. Probably would've taken you 6 or more years to pass. I hope you're happy with you're $15/hr programming gig.
>>
File: 1361946063952.png (10 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1361946063952.png
10 KB, 400x400
>>53300086
>already getting paid more than anyone else I know
>You're too dumb to apply for financial aid and go to college to do a degree for something that you don't need.
>>
>>53300199

>already getting paid more than anyone else I know

that's because your other online friends play league of legions or runescape all day. Of course, you wouldn't know anyone else.
>>
>Hmm no. Steve Jobs, Gabe Newell and Mark Zuckerberg, and other such college dropouts made the software that you and I use.

I love it when people think they're going to be the next Bill Gates
>>
>>53300303
>having to use this much imagination to justify wasting so much time and money on a pointless degree.

When I was interviewing for this job nobody even asked whether or not I had a degree. I was actually quite surprised, I'd have thought it would have come up at some point.
>>
>>53300438

Walmart and McDonalds don't care about degrees. So I guess you're fine. Nevermind
>>
I feel like it's one of the easiest to use.
>>
>>53298581
Because you write a lot and it makes it look like you are getting something done.
>>
File: daily reminder.png (89 KB, 519x396) Image search: [Google]
daily reminder.png
89 KB, 519x396
Hi, kids.
>>
>>53298581
Because C# is not as popular.
>>
File: 1456697892098.png (164 KB, 459x562) Image search: [Google]
1456697892098.png
164 KB, 459x562
>>53298581
>get my first real job at a tech company
>never bothered with java because /g/ and other sources claim that it is a "legacy" language that is basically going the way of COBOL
>mfw basically all developers use it for shit on a daily basis

Fuck you guys.
>>
>>53299647
Actually it sounds like you think way too highly of yourself. Also all "top tier" employers try their hardest to hire only indians these days so good luck trying to compete with poo in loos who will do your job for half your salary.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.