[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are heat-sinks a scam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Noctua_NH-D15_installed.jpg (199 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
Noctua_NH-D15_installed.jpg
199 KB, 900x900
Are heat-sinks a scam?
>>
>mfw the stock Intel coolers never failed me once
It just works and is relatively quiet. I don't really have a proper reason to waste 40 bucks on something after-market.
>>
>>53296309
Unless oc or you want it to be really quiet you're right
>>
Could be.
>>
>>53296309
>>53296322
decent b8 8/8
>>
>>53296352
Does the cpu do a decent job of cooling when you aren't overclocking, and can you stand the noise? I have n dh15 myself but i can understand why people wouldn't need one
>>
>>53296272
Yes anon, take yours off immediately.
>>
No, but anything other than stock is unnecessary unless you overclock or live in a furnace.
>>
>push pins
fuck that noise
>>
>>53296272
anyone have a full chart of air coolers?
>>
File: image.png (58 KB, 601x1514) Image search: [Google]
image.png
58 KB, 601x1514
>>53296796
Has AiO as well, but this is from Aug of last year
>>
Yea just fuck a heatsink, dont use it. Remember mayo is the best thermal too
>>
>>53296272
I run hot water in my sink all the time, have no problems
>>
stock heatsink is shit (intel made it thinner every year)
Hyper 212 is good
Noctua 8 heat pipe dual towers will just take another 2 or 3 degrees off no big difference

Just like the GPUs people paying thousands for that extra fps
>>
>>53296272
Most definitely they are.
Even the stock ones are just for show.
If your case is pretty slim, just take off the heatsink so there is more room for airflow.
>>
>>53296272
No, but they are a meme.
>>
>>53297953
I have both.
I see a huge temp drop, 25C idle on Noctua, 31C idle on Hyper, 55-60C on load with Noctua, fucking 65 to 70C on Hyper. OC is 4.6GHz on a 4790K at 1.28v.
>>
>>53296272
Does a hat keep your head warm? Of course. Think about it. It's all a scam.
>>
>>53296272
It's the only cooler I know with nice chocolate color.
>>
bumping this to ask if arctic silver is still good
>>
Yes, you do not ever need to purchase one of those. They are agents of the patriarchy that are trying to oppress you. Your processor has a built in quantum device that beams the thermal energy to another plane of reality. Heat sinks were and always will be nothing but a meme.
>>
>>53296272
Anything beyond a hyper212+ is placebo.
>>
>>53296309
This I'm gonna eventually upgrade to a be quit cooler
But I'm in no hurry with this cooler
>>
>>53296272
No. You need it to cool your CPU.
>>
Sometimes I guess? I've seen some outrageous shit.
>>
>>53303913
its shit
>>
>>53296272
Not all are but that one is for sure.
>>
Got a memtoua d14. Kept my 6700k under 70c at 4.5ghz
>>
>>53297002
where scythe kotetsu would be on the list?
>>
>>53296272
Depends on why you are buying the cooler.

I dont overclock or anything, but I upgraded to a hyper 212 and threw an NF-F12 silent Noctua fan on it.

I did it because the stock cooler was loud.
It did lower my temps by 3-4 C, but it mostly cut out a lot of noise
>>
>stock cooler was broken for months and I was a literal retard
>i7-920 reading 100°C for literally months
What a trooper. Now she runs about 50° idle on a 212 evo
>>
>>53305502
>50 degree idle
>>
>>53296272
nop, i love my dh-14. I used to overclock, but i reset my OC when i upgraded my mobo firmware..

Now I just turn the fans off until the cpu reaches 55degrees, at which point the fans go to 20% and the heat stops rising at 65 degrees.

PC runs hot, cooler than it did with a stock cooler, but hotter than it could do. But i get a silent PC, I've got no HDDs, no Disc Readers, all my fans run silently.

The only downside is the gpu which starts spinning at 60 degrees, its louder than my heatsink, though still not annoying, you don't hear it over a ceiling fan, for example.
>>
>>53296272
I overclock my 8320.
No.
>>
>>53305922
I need to reapply paste, but it's liveable for now.
>>
Heatsinks are meme.
I run my cpus completely naked and never had a problem.
>>
>>53304444
Waste of a quad
>>
Is it hard to change thermal paste once you have the NH D14 set ?
I dont have much experience with heatsink.
>>
>>53297002
You should post the noise charts as well. AIOs only do so well because they use powerful fans that are incredibly noisy.
>>
i5-4690k + 212 Evo
watching netflix surfing the interwebs 29.8C
watching netflix surfing the interwebs foldan proteins 52C
>>
I own an H100i on my main PC and a 212 on my backup PC.

They preform almost the same except 212 is louder.

Then again, I fell for the Corsair meme.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1 MB, 1840x1988) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1 MB, 1840x1988
>>53306783
Try overclocking. I've noticed if you're not putting much of a load on em CLCs will run just as much as a generic heatsink. But if you're running 4.5GHz+, you'll notice the difference.
>>
>>53306799
I have my 4690k OCed to 4.6ghz on my H100i in a [spoiler]250D[/spoiler]

Like I said, I fell for the [spoiler]Corsair meme[/spoiler]

It definitely works, but it cost me $100 shekels.
>>
>>53296272
no. you don't have to make sure everything is a scam before you buy it. if you find out it wasn't what you wanted then return it and only tell your close friends who will laugh teasingly at you but with no real malice because we all fail as humans sometimes and it's something to laugh about and move on from.

pussy.
>>
>>53305922
idle temp is irrelevant, load is what you need to be concerned about.
>>
>>53306799
what a shit case
>>
>>53301085
>people are going go be wearing heatsinks in the future summers
>>
File: 1450007009870.jpg (35 KB, 500x388) Image search: [Google]
1450007009870.jpg
35 KB, 500x388
Ive changed my stock cooler for heatsink, and my temps are jumping up and down like crazy it changes 2 times a second and jumping up and down, is this normal? I dont think it was like that before
>>
>>53296272

That image reminds me of something
>>
File: nofreedom.jpg (126 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
nofreedom.jpg
126 KB, 1024x682
>>53296272
Heatsinks are a botnet. You should remove yours as soon as possible unless you enjoy getting cucked by the NSA. Why the hell do you think that they are made of metal? They are super advanced self encrypting antennae, thats why the antennae fins are so complex, so only the NSA can get your information. They just keep the correct decryption algorithm for each heatsink handy. Thats also why Heatsinks connect directly to the CPU, to ensure that every and every scrap of data is recorded and archived by GCHQ, the NSA, the CIA, and Mossad. You are not free, both as in beer and freedom. if your CPU has a Heatsink a.k.a. GOVERNMENT ANTENNAE attached to it. Intel was forced by both NSA and Mossad to raise the TDP and reduce the physical size of CPU's so that they could only run while attached with a heat-bearing transmission devices. You do NOT have privacy if you cool your CPU, you do NOT have freedom if you cool your CPU. The only sensible action from here on out its to underclock your CPU, revome the cucksink, and install your own personal fork of GNU/Unix. IF you don't. The NSA will: -Know your sexual preferences. -Share your loli collections amongst their co-workers. -Spit on your freedom. -Have the source and memory of your Operating System. The fans on the antennae only serve as magnetic boosters, allowing your cpu data stream to be transmitted to government satellites. Making even no internet, human isolation a non-solution to your privacy concerns. At this juncture, the only possible solution is to live 24x7 in an uninterrupted farraday cage, with your homebrew fork of unix, and underclocked pre-Intel CPU. If you don't rectify this atrocity, you will never be free.
>>
>>53296272
I've been thinking about getting one, but only because this shitty AMD one has to spin up to 5000 rpm and sounds like a jet.
>>
>>53296272
>the fan stopped spinning on my arctic freezer 7
>temps around 50C under load
>still rocking E8400 OC'd to 4ghz
After market coolers are great
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.